Gibson V - Bright tone.. need some input..

Hey everyone,
So i soldered in the 498T bridge pickup and while it brought some tone back, it still sounds like it's missing lots of the tone's body. Not a while lot of low end or mids.. just lots of upper mids and highs.

Any suggestions? Should I look at different brand/type of cap? The current one in there is an orange drop 0.22uf.

Thanks

Duke of Metal":6vfnwh88 said:
Hey everyone,
So i soldered in the 498T bridge pickup and while it brought some tone back, it still sounds like it's missing lots of the tone's body. Not a while lot of low end or mids.. just lots of upper mids and highs.

Any suggestions? Should I look at different brand/type of cap? The current one in there is an orange drop 0.22uf.

Thanks
Do you roll back your tone knob? If not, changing the value won’t make a difference.

LP Freak":2tnxwd17 said:
Duke of Metal":2tnxwd17 said:
Hey everyone,

Thanks
Do you roll back your tone knob? If not, changing the value won’t make a difference.
Rolling back the tone knob does help a bit but of course makes it a bit darker.

hi everyone,
so an update on this.. i took the guitar to another tech that re-rewired the guitar and also installed the Suhr Aldrich pickups in it. Noise issue is resolved and tone is much more balanced now. Sounds nice and beefy now.

Cheers

Some Gibson guitars were shipped with a factory 300k pots. I use to have a 90's V that had the pot's upgraded to CTS 500k, and it was insanely bright and thin sounding. The guitar sounded great when brought back to original tho. It was still bright, but 10x better than with the 500k CTS. Also, if the new pot came with, or if you installed one treble cap, remove it. The treble cap ads presence even when the pot is turned all the way up. That's the experience I have with my guitars.

Duke of Metal":3d4jqmou said:
hi everyone,
so an update on this.. i took the guitar to another tech that re-rewired the guitar and also installed the Suhr Aldrich pickups in it. Noise issue is resolved and tone is much more balanced now. Sounds nice and beefy now.

Cheers

Great the issue is resolved. For future ref. with Dimarzios if you call their C.S. support and tell them what you have and what you want they will go to lengths to help you find something to compensate for whatever tone issues are going on. I think the guy a spoke to was named Phil and man, he really saved headaches as the pups were going into a Gibson Supreme, which have to be wired thru the jack. Went thru 3 sets of pups and finally called. I explained the issue and he was spot on with his recommendation . :thumbsup:

SBlue":3f37jnwp said:
Some Gibson guitars were shipped with a factory 300k pots. I use to have a 90's V that had the pot's upgraded to CTS 500k, and it was insanely bright and thin sounding. The guitar sounded great when brought back to original tho. It was still bright, but 10x better than with the 500k CTS. Also, if the new pot came with, or if you installed one treble cap, remove it. The treble cap ads presence even when the pot is turned all the way up. That's the experience I have with my guitars.
Thank you. I actually contacted Gibson USA and they provided me with a wiring schematic of the guitar it self based on the serial number i gave them. Funny enough it had 500k pots and .47uf caps, which is the same exact setup I have in there now. The guitar originally came with the 500T in bridge, but I don't recall it sounding that bright.

needless to say, the guitar sounds awesome now.

phil b":2joymxxu said:
Duke of Metal":2joymxxu said:
hi everyone,

Cheers

Great the issue is resolved. For future ref. with Dimarzios if you call their C.S. support and tell them what you have and what you want they will go to lengths to help you find something to compensate for whatever tone issues are going on. I think the guy a spoke to was named Phil and man, he really saved headaches as the pups were going into a Gibson Supreme, which have to be wired thru the jack. Went thru 3 sets of pups and finally called. I explained the issue and he was spot on with his recommendation . :thumbsup:
Interesting.. I'll have to keep that in mind for future pickup replacements. Thank you

Back