Gimme your go to active pickups !

Fishman moderns are popular these days, but they just seem so meh to me despite having a half dozen guitars with them, though I like the "coil split" function when wanted. Still Rocking the 81/85s here and there like most. Those Blackouts work nicely for a little more articulation over emgs, imo, but they're kind of... I dunno... dry? Tried the KH emgs, but wasn't finding inspiration with them. Since rocking the nazgul/sentient passives, I haven't really looked back tbh, but I play ERGs and down tune a lot so that probably has most to do with it. 18v mods are nice ime, and hear the 24v is better...

I've had or tried almost the entire Fishman Fluence line and now just the stock '80's EMG's that came in my 1986 Schecter. Much better imo than the Fluence's. I don't use them often, but when I want that kind of sound they're still the ones to get IME

Had a guitar with EMG 81/85 set, they were really good, I liked them a lot.
Currently have a guitar with Fluence Moderns with the voice 1 and 2 circuits (push/pull) installed and they are really really good.
For me I find the fishmans to be smoother if that makes and sense. I pretty much use voice 2 all the time, which is supposed to sound more like a passive PAF from what I've gathered.

I run a set of EMGs in my Japanese Rhoads. 85/60 is the bees knees. I’m running them at 24v.

I guess I'm the weirdo, once again. I LOVE the Fluence Modern pickups, and find myself switching regularly between the two bridge pickup sounds. Have 2 guitars with them. Each pickup profile is good in its own ways. I also picked up an FGN singlecut that came with SD Blackouts and they do the trick, when I was convinced I'd have to swap them out.

I've had EMGs in several guitars, and have sold all of them. They just don't work for me, no matter what the set is. They're not bad. They're just not my sound.

I'm done with passives, for now.
Not a fan: 81, blackouts metal.
Fan: 57, the new standard for me.
Gonna try: Mustaines, and Tim Hensons.

Back