Good news for Fryette's Power Station

eljodon

I purchased the Fryette's Power Station awhile ago and when I brought it home to try it I really loved it but it was missing some top end or "air " so I knew it had to have a low pass filter because I wasn't getting the sparkle that I like to hear with my guitars especially my Strats. I asked Steve who's the main guy at Fryette about it and he said yes, that it did have a LP filter. So I asked him to remove it and also change the presence control to act like a Marshall plexi. When I brought it home and tried it, the PS sounded amazing! This is the best attenuator out there!

I spoke to Steve just recently, he's going to add a switch to bypass the LP filter, plus a couple of new features to the PS! One of them is a pad for the main volume so it'll be easier to dial the PS at lower volume.

Steve is a real cool guy, he listens to you when you give him suggestions to improve he's product.I had such a great time talking to him!
He let my try the new Sound City replicas that will be out soon! They look just like the old ones and they also sound great!

Attachments

• IMG_0704.jpg
    IMG_0704.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 7,310
Very cool. Im looking to get one as soon as he makes this available. I have an unleash i use now, but this sounds like its going to be a real upgrade.

eljodon":3bm0jj1t said:
I purchased the Fryette's Power Station awhile ago and when I brought it home to try it I really loved it but it was missing some top end or "air " so I knew it had to have a low pass filter because I wasn't getting the sparkle that I like to hear with my guitars especially my Strats. I asked Steve who's the main guy at Fryette about it and he said yes, that it did have a LP filter. So I asked him to remove it and also change the presence control to act like a Marshall plexi. When I brought it home and tried it, the PS sounded amazing! This is the best attenuator out there!

I spoke to Steve just recently, he's going to add a switch to bypass the LP filter, plus a couple of new features to the PS! One of them is a pad for the main volume so it'll be easier to dial the PS at lower volume.

Steve is a real cool guy, he listens to you when you give him suggestions to improve he's product.I had such a great time talking to him!
He let my try the new Sound City replicas that will be out soon! They look just like the old ones and they also sound great!

Great info. Is that Ampete connected to the PS as one of the amp outs or direct out?

Great info. Is that Ampete connected to the PS as one of the amp outs or direct out?[/quote]

The Ampete speaker out 1 is hardwired to the patch bay, and the speaker out and amp in of the PS is also hardwired into the patch bay. I have 4 high gain amps plugged into the Ampete. I also have a Metro plexi , Scumback Plexi(both non master volume) and a Vox AC 30 also hardwired into the patch bay. This way I don't have to keep moving my rack when I want to plug any amp that's not plugged into the Ampete into the PS.

stephen sawall":dzu1w9fs said:
Did he mention what any of the other changes might be ?

Yes, there's going to be a switch(like a pad) so it will be easier to dial in a low volume because right now is very touchy. There's going to be a XLR out for DI recording.

gtrwun":2w66c6jy said:
Very cool. Im looking to get one as soon as he makes this available. I have an unleash i use now, but this sounds like its going to be a real upgrade.
They're out of stock right now. But you'll be very happy with it. I love using the fx loop with my TC electronics 2240 parametric eq so you can eq post distortion. But you have to use a humdinger(by Gigrig) in front of a non master volume amp to prevent the it from squealing when you're driving the amp hard with a OD pedal or distortion pedal. This happens with every attenuator I've used. Nobody has figured out how to deal with it yet. But with the Humdinger is works quite well.

Where is the LP filter today? On the speaker output only, line output only, etc? I compared the line level output to a standalone DI box and it looks like there is no LPF on it. Maybe it's on the speaker output only?

The pad is a good idea. It is touchy when the amp connected into it is cranked! It's still a fantastic piece of gear though.

Very cool. I bought a power station early on and didn't care for it. There were too many artifacts in the sound when attenuation to low volumes. Sounds like he is addressing this and more. Good to hear. It was still the best attenuator out there. It blew away the Alex attenuator away.

I love the PS, think it's great. Even though I'm thinking of selling due to not using much.

If people want a different version hopefully they will be out before the GPDI.

guitarobert":212mtpog said:
Where is the LP filter today? On the speaker output only, line output only, etc? I compared the line level output to a standalone DI box and it looks like there is no LPF on it. Maybe it's on the speaker output only?

The pad is a good idea. It is touchy when the amp connected into it is cranked! It's still a fantastic piece of gear though.

I believe it's on the speaker output. I haven't used the line out yet because I was mainly interested in the fx loop so I don't have to slave my amps or put an eq on the fx loop of my amps. With IR's you don't need a LP filter.

planning to get a new one once its available again. Nice to see the rack mount kit on one, may have to get that too. Currently have an Alex Attenuator, which I like, but I hope this is on a whole other level.

eljodon":3pa147cb said:
guitarobert":3pa147cb said:

I believe it's on the speaker output. I haven't used the line out yet because I was mainly interested in the fx loop so I don't have to slave my amps or put an eq on the fx loop of my amps. With IR's you don't need a LP filter.
Do you know if there is a HP filter too? I always felt mine took off some of the lows and what the depth added back was always shifted a bit higher, so it didn't totally make up for it. With my Marshall style amps it wasn't as noticeable, but with my more modern voiced amps it was much more noticeable.

fearhk213":9m4ymlj3 said:
eljodon":9m4ymlj3 said:
guitarobert":9m4ymlj3 said:

Do you know if there is a HP filter too? I always felt mine took off some of the lows and what the depth added back was always shifted a bit higher, so it didn't totally make up for it. With my Marshall style amps it wasn't as noticeable, but with my more modern voiced amps it was much more noticeable.

I don't think so, because when I use my PT100 which has a 3 position"whomp" switch in the back to increase the low end and it sounds the same to me when I use it with or without. Also my ENGL Powerball 2 has a resonance knob and it also sounds the same. When I use any of my non master volume Plexi I do notice there's a bit of low end missing when I crank them all the way up, but I noticed it on all the attenuators I've owned when play at low volume. I make up the difference with an eq on the fx loop or the deep switch or depth knob

eljodon":1xz9oajc said:
But you have to use a humdinger(by Gigrig) in front of a non master volume amp to prevent the it from squealing when you're driving the amp hard with a OD pedal or distortion pedal. This happens with every attenuator I've used. Nobody has figured out how to deal with it yet. But with the Humdinger is works quite well.

Do you use the isolated out on the Humdinger?

I've had the same squealing with my plexi but thought it was a microphonic preamp tube :doh: :confused:
I have a Palmer line isolator, if that's what you use the Humdinger for.

lordriffenstein":18l3oh4y said:
eljodon":18l3oh4y said:
But you have to use a humdinger(by Gigrig) in front of a non master volume amp to prevent the it from squealing when you're driving the amp hard with a OD pedal or distortion pedal. This happens with every attenuator I've used. Nobody has figured out how to deal with it yet. But with the Humdinger is works quite well.

I've had the same squealing with my plexi but thought it was a microphonic preamp tube :doh: :confused:

Yes, I do use the isolated out from the Humdinger and it really helps. If you get close to the amp you still get it the high pitch tone, but it's much better. The Suhr PT100 also has this issue and none of my other amps do it. The PT100 sounds great, but it's really annoying when you use a boost or OD pedal especially on channel 2, I have to stand far from the amp when turning the master from 3 to 6 or higher. I contact the company a couple of months after I bough the amp and they weren't very helpful. They suggested changing the preamp tube,but I knew it wouldn't help but tried it anyway. It kind of sucks because the amp sounds amazing.

eljodon":3gmc4liu said:
lordriffenstein":3gmc4liu said:
eljodon":3gmc4liu said:

Yes, I do use the isolated out from the Humdinger and it really helps. If you get close to the amp you still get it the high pitch tone, but it's much better. The Suhr PT100 also has this issue and none of my other amps do it. The PT100 sounds great, but it's really annoying when you use a boost or OD pedal especially on channel 2, I have to stand far from the amp when turning the master from 3 to 6 or higher. I contact the company a couple of months after I bough the amp and they weren't very helpful. They suggested changing the preamp tube,but I knew it wouldn't help but tried it anyway. It kind of sucks because the amp sounds amazing.

Have you tried the new version of the PT PT100SE? Never played the older one or any other Suhr amp for that matter until I picked up the PT100SE and I've got to say it's one of the better plexi inspired MV amps I've had and I've had a bunch of the big name ones. Just an awesome all around amp.

Have you tried the new version of the PT PT100SE? Never played the older one or any other Suhr amp for that matter until I picked up the PT100SE and I've got to say it's one of the better plexi inspired MV amps I've had and I've had a bunch of the big name ones. Just an awesome all around amp.[/quote]

I purchased the Suhr PT100 and within 8 month, the PT100SE came out! I was pissed! And the changes they made looks like is a big improvement! But I also have a recording studio full of good recoding gear which constantly needs upgrading so I have to wait. I'm using to 2 Mac Pro's, one for ProTools HD5 and the other Pro Logic Pro X and also a server for my Orchestral Library and I need to get a powerful PC to use as a server so I can write bigger compositions. But I would love to replace my PT100 with the new one!

Back