Got my OD Guitars Venus 6 back from a luthier after a broken truss rod repair

N

nightlight

Well-known member
Some may recall that I had trouble with the truss rod on my OD Guitars Venus 6. It had completely cracked and I was wondering how I was going to get it repaired out here.

Luckily, someone referred me to a guitar builder called Astha Guitars that also does repairs. While I was initially sceptical, looking at their workshop was reassuring. They had all kinds of guitar making machines and the luthier who was handling my axe reassured me that the guitar would be as good as new.

During the course of the diagnosis, the luthier flagged to me that the entire truss rod cavity was filled with some kind of glue. That's why the truss rod wouldn't turn and had snapped. He used a router to clean up the channel and then ordered a replacement truss rod that fit the cavity.

I was particularly happy that when the fingerboard was lifted off and then put back, there was no damage done and it looked as though no work had taken place at all.

After that, the luthier did a setup of the guitar and I collected it over the weekend.

Here are some pics of the repaired axe:

20260928_120525.jpg


20260928_120530.jpg


20260928_120533.jpg



20260928_120535.jpg


20260928_120541.jpg


Here's a sound check I did with the axe.



And here are some pics of the guitars they make at the place.

20260926_161040.jpg
20260926_161033.jpg
20260926_161015.jpg


All in all, a great experience.
 
Glad you were able to get it fixed man.
Thanks, man. It was very expensive. I wonder how all that glue got into the truss rod.

I didn't do it, so the suspects are the original luthier, the dealer who sold it to me (who's a nice guy, we've done a few transactions without issue), and the Singapore guitar shop I gave it to for repair.

Alternatively, it could be the guy sneaking into my house whenever I'm out, who seemed to be sponsored by some fat cat. Can't imagine who'd be so petty and malicious, other than that guy.
 
Thanks, man. It was very expensive. I wonder how all that glue got into the truss rod.

I didn't do it, so the suspects are the original luthier, the dealer who sold it to me (who's a nice guy, we've done a few transactions without issue), and the Singapore guitar shop I gave it to for repair.

Alternatively, it could be the guy sneaking into my house whenever I'm out, who seemed to be sponsored by some fat cat. Can't imagine who'd be so petty and malicious, other than that guy.

I mean, I really, REALLY doubt it was the shop.

Taking off the fretboard and fixing a truss rod is a seriously invasive, expensive repair.

Like, I would quote "fuck you" prices if someone asked me to do it - it simply isn't worth the amount of time and effort it takes.

Which makes me wonder why it was there in the first place?

The only thing that comes to mind is that the luthier routed out the cavity for the truss rod too wide originally, when he built the guitar, and used the glue as a "fix" to make the truss rod stay in there/work..... which, if that is the case makes no sense. As from all i've heard about Omer Deutsch is positive, that seems really, really unlikely too.
 
I mean, I really, REALLY doubt it was the shop.

Taking off the fretboard and fixing a truss rod is a seriously invasive, expensive repair.

Like, I would quote "fuck you" prices if someone asked me to do it - it simply isn't worth the amount of time and effort it takes.

Which makes me wonder why it was there in the first place?

The only thing that comes to mind is that the luthier routed out the cavity for the truss rod too wide originally, when he built the guitar, and used the glue as a "fix" to make the truss rod stay in there/work..... which, if that is the case makes no sense. As from all i've heard about Omer Deutsch is positive, that seems really, really unlikely too.

Must be that guy who keeps breaking into my house then. The truss rod being broken at the top like that was not because of me either and I had just sourced tools from Stew Mac to see if I could get the rod to turn, only to find it was broken in half.
 
Must be that guy who keeps breaking into my house then. The truss rod being broken at the top like that was not because of me either and I had just sourced tools from Stew Mac to see if I could get the rod to turn, only to find it was broken in half.

Yes, those truss rod gremlins will get ya every time. Gotta make sure there's a ring camera, motion lights, and motion activated security cameras. Keeps the truss rod gremlins away every time.

In all seriousness that's obviously ridiculous - if someone was breaking into your house they'd steal guitars, not break them and leave them there to fuck with you. That's attributing way too much importance on your own convenience/inconvenience.


If there was glue in there, it's certainly possible that the dealer tried to adjust the truss rod and didn't even realize it broke - especially if it was glued.
 
Yes, those truss rod gremlins will get ya every time. Gotta make sure there's a ring camera, motion lights, and motion activated security cameras. Keeps the truss rod gremlins away every time.

In all seriousness that's obviously ridiculous - if someone was breaking into your house they'd steal guitars, not break them and leave them there to fuck with you. That's attributing way too much importance on your own convenience/inconvenience.


If there was glue in there, it's certainly possible that the dealer tried to adjust the truss rod and didn't even realize it broke - especially if it was glued.


I mean, I agree. It's a zany thought.

But I wouldn't knock it. Scratches on the wall, scratches on furniture and guitars, damage to electronic items, foul smelling water, sometimes money or other random things like clothing going missing only to mysteriously reappear.

Also, scratches all over my face whether eating out or drinking water at home.

Felt like I was going crazy, it's like gaslighting and guaranteed to drive you up a wall, or off a building.

I used to have a video doorbell, as well as IP cameras setup. They're no use if the power is cut or the internet goes down. And this was a police/military state that didn't like people talking frankly about politics.

It used to happen a lot when I was in India as well, but this country treats people breaking into houses to commit "mischief" very seriously, unlike Singapore. I feel more protected as a result.

I mean, when two of my guitars were stolen in Singapore and traced to a used musical instruments store, my wife helped me file a complaint with the police. A statement was recorded, proof of ownership was provided, the works.

But after four years, not a single call just to let us know what happened. Singapore's police force is generally praised for being efficient. But I knew what I was in for.

On this guitar though, no idea who did it, just glad it's fixed.
 
I mean, I agree. It's a zany thought.

But I wouldn't knock it. Scratches on the wall, scratches on furniture and guitars, damage to electronic items, foul smelling water, sometimes money or other random things like clothing going missing only to mysteriously reappear.

Also, scratches all over my face whether eating out or drinking water at home.

Felt like I was going crazy, it's like gaslighting and guaranteed to drive you up a wall, or off a building.

I used to have a video doorbell, as well as IP cameras setup. They're no use if the power is cut or the internet goes down. And this was a police/military state that didn't like people talking frankly about politics.

It used to happen a lot when I was in India as well, but this country treats people breaking into houses to commit "mischief" very seriously, unlike Singapore. I feel more protected as a result.

I mean, when two of my guitars were stolen in Singapore and traced to a used musical instruments store, my wife helped me file a complaint with the police. A statement was recorded, proof of ownership was provided, the works.

But after four years, not a single call just to let us know what happened. Singapore's police force is generally praised for being efficient. But I knew what I was in for.

On this guitar though, no idea who did it, just glad it's fixed.

I'm glad it's fixed too. The 3d reliefs on that guitar are really cool and it would be a crime for it to be non-functioning
 
Some photographs of the workshop. I was happy/amazed to see a setup like this where I could take my place. I also recently got the contact of a good tech who repairs amps.

20260905_100621.jpg
20260905_100622.jpg
20260905_100625.jpg
20260905_100637.jpg
20260905_100647.jpg
20260905_100651.jpg
 
I wonder how all that glue got into the truss rod.

I think we both know that wasn't "glue" in the truss rod cavity. I understand how lonely it can sometimes get, not to mention that guitar is sexy as Hell, but come on man. Leave that truss rod cover on!


BTW, that clip you posted sounds way better that the one from your delayed album thread.
 
Your song titles are getting longer and longer. Who do you think you are, Morrissey?
 
Back
Top