Griff's Schaffer pedal is a killer!

GJgo

I picked up one if @griff10672 's Schaffer Unit pedals.

I'll be honest, at first in the bedroom (low volume) I wasn't really sure what to make of it. I didn't care for what it did on the clean channel, and on the gain channel I was having a hard time figuring out what was going on.

Last night I jammed it with my drummer at gig volume (mid to high gain) and TOTALLY different story. To preface, my end game for gear is always "how does it sound in the live band?" Stuff that doesn't cut it gets moved. This pedal looks to be a game changer in the mix- I still can't quite put my finger on what it's doing, other than to say it's adding an X Factor that just helps the guitar stand out of the mix quite a bit. It really is akin to how Angus's guitar just jumps off the page at you. It just has "mOAr Oopmh" and more detail in the notes.

Then, I ran it in series with my Chiron and it did the same trick. I ran the Chiron and amp gain as I normally do, and backed off the Schaffer gain to 9:00 so it was adding the "Extra" without gaining it up too much and making it muddy. This was an absolutely crushing metal tone, and again easier to hear in the mix than without it engaged.

Long story short, if you play in a band I highly recommend checking the Schaffer out. Thanks Wayne. :)

IMG_3292.jpg

Interested. But still not clear on what it does - cutting/adding certain frequencies? What’s happening with this?

Interested. But still not clear on what it does - cutting/adding certain frequencies? What’s happening with this?
The actual wireless portions of the Shaffer-Vega Diversity System removed, leaving only the pre-gain, limiter, and output amplifier, which form the core analog signal path of the original unit.

I'll describe it this way. The Schaffer made my Mark V (more compressed) feel more like a Mark IVa (more raw).

I really want to try one of these, either his or the Solo Dallas. I wonder if there are any noteworthy differences between them?

This pedal can do some great things depending where in the chain you put it ...

totally different if you run it as your first pedal in your input chain .... or the last pedal of your input chain ...

I picked up one if @griff10672 's Schaffer Unit pedals.

I'll be honest, at first in the bedroom (low volume) I wasn't really sure what to make of it. I didn't care for what it did on the clean channel, and on the gain channel I was having a hard time figuring out what was going on.

Last night I jammed it with my drummer at gig volume (mid to high gain) and TOTALLY different story. To preface, my end game for gear is always "how does it sound in the live band?" Stuff that doesn't cut it gets moved. This pedal looks to be a game changer in the mix- I still can't quite put my finger on what it's doing, other than to say it's adding an X Factor that just helps the guitar stand out of the mix quite a bit. It really is akin to how Angus's guitar just jumps off the page at you. It just has "mOAr Oopmh" and more detail in the notes.

Then, I ran it in series with my Chiron and it did the same trick. I ran the Chiron and amp gain as I normally do, and backed off the Schaffer gain to 9:00 so it was adding the "Extra" without gaining it up too much and making it muddy. This was an absolutely crushing metal tone, and again easier to hear in the mix than without it engaged.

Long story short, if you play in a band I highly recommend checking the Schaffer out. Thanks Wayne. :)

View attachment 304677
Thanks for the review !!! It's a great circuit everyone should have in their " bag "

When does Wayne not put out a killer pedal? I don't have much to do for the rest of the day. I can wait for someone to come up with something....

Maybe one day he'll make a crappy pedal and call it the shitty-shitbox.

When does Wayne not put out a killer pedal? I don't have much to do for the rest of the day. I can wait for someone to come up with something....

Maybe one day he'll make a crappy pedal and call it the shitty-shitbox.
I'll take that as one hell of a compliment!!
Thanks !!
I'd like to think I could do this for a living one day if I had the time / experience to do proper video demos
And had a IT/ Web guy ....

It's a great pedal!

Got mine a week ago; and it's pretty subtle if you want it to be, or a full blown mid boost like a good frown-faced EQ pedal. In front of my 72 50w, which has a good amount of gain now (I did the 68 plexi EVH circuit mods, very simple) it screams with even better mids. More subtle than my other pedals, it's a nice change up to what I already have.

Back