Ground Loop issue/question with footswitch.. Splawn Nitro

I'm intrigued... looking forward to the report.

I've got band practice tomorrow, will see if there's a hum with my Street Rod. Too bad Bash_Man is in Toronto, I've got a great amp tech in town (San Diego), used to build Stone Temple Pilots' amps! Naw, I'm not a name dropper! 😉

Street Rod report to come.

I'm intrigued... looking forward to the report.

I've got band practice tomorrow, will see if there's a hum with my Street Rod. Too bad Bash_Man is in Toronto, I've got a great amp tech in town (San Diego), used to build Stone Temple Pilots' amps! Naw, I'm not a name dropper! 😉

Street Rod report to come.
haha.. not a whole lot of Splawn owners here sadly. Look forward to the Street Rod report as well.

OK I never realized, but I also have a hum with the effects loop engaged on my Street Rod. I don't think it's as loud as Bash_Man's hum on his Nitro but it's definitely there. Obviously not something that's bothered me (had the amp for 4 years now and just noticed it!)

One interesting thing, and good for Bash_Man, when I disable the effects loop the hum goes away but I still have a hiss going on. Very subtle and maybe just standard amp hiss but it seems to go away when the loop is enabled (and then the hum comes back of course).

Maybe a fact of life with Splawns, would be interested in what other Splawners find out.

Last edited:
OK I never realized, but I also have a hum with the effects loop engaged on my Street Rod. I don't think it's as loud as Bash_Man's hum on his Nitro but it's definitely there. Obviously not something that's bothered me (had the amp for 4 years now and just noticed it!)

One interesting thing, and good for Bash_Man, when I disable the effects loop the hum goes away but I still have a hiss going on. Very subtle and maybe just standard amp hiss but it seems to go away when the loop is enabled (and then the hum comes back of course).

Maybe a fact of life with Splawns, would be interested in what other Splawners find out.
Thanks for checking cvogue. luckly I have a spare effects loop circuit that I had taken out of the Nitro. I'll bring it to the guitar tech to see if he can figure out the noise issue with it before modding/fixing the one in there.

The amp "normal" hum is there on my Nitro as well, but no where nearly as loud or bad as the loop hum. I think that's just normal power transformer hum or amp hum in general. nothing that is of concern to me.

hopfully I can get the loop noise fixed.

I took my Quick Rod out of my pedal chain that includes a MXR A/B/Y pedal and was pretty shocked actually how quiet it is with just a guitar plugged straight in. I think I had gotten so used to the hum it just didn't bother me anymore. But with both amps plugged into the A/B/Y I do have Ground Loop Hum. I've tried ground lifts etc but now thinking I may get a power conditioner like a Furman etc.

So I am Guitar > Boss Noise Suppressor >MXR Slash Wah > Suhr Koko boost > EVH Phase 90 > MXR A/B/Y > Splawn and Rectoverb (Mesa has the loop effects pedals and Noise Suppressor again.

I took my Quick Rod out of my pedal chain that includes a MXR A/B/Y pedal and was pretty shocked actually how quiet it is with just a guitar plugged straight in. I think I had gotten so used to the hum it just didn't bother me anymore. But with both amps plugged into the A/B/Y I do have Ground Loop Hum. I've tried ground lifts etc but now thinking I may get a power conditioner like a Furman etc.

So I am Guitar > Boss Noise Suppressor >MXR Slash Wah > Suhr Koko boost > EVH Phase 90 > MXR A/B/Y > Splawn and Rectoverb (Mesa has the loop effects pedals and Noise Suppressor again.
Try the big shot that is powered and has loop and phase shifting in it. Not the passive although the passive works ok. Twin something I think. That solves a lot of issues for me.

I had the MXR A/B/Y and even though I was only using it to split to tuner, it caused a ground loop. so I just sold it.

For the issue you're experiencing, the EBTech Hum Eliminator it suppose to get rid of that ground loop. This is the little device you plug on the amp's power cable.

Found the source of my hum.

I forgot I have my Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 plugged into the Aux Out of the MXR ABY. Once I put a ground lift plug adapter on that all my hum went away and it was back to what the Splawn sounded like plugged straight in.

Funny how little things like this creep up on you over time and you forget how your set up or pedals etc change over time. I mean I was swapping preamp tubes in the Splawn and everything :LOL:

Found the source of my hum.

I forgot I have my Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 plugged into the Aux Out of the MXR ABY. Once I put a ground lift plug adapter on that all my hum went away and it was back to what the Splawn sounded like plugged straight in.

Funny how little things like this creep up on you over time and you forget how your set up or pedals etc change over time. I mean I was swapping preamp tubes in the Splawn and everything :LOL:
Awesome.. glad you found it and its an easy fix.

Took the amp in to the tech this morning. he sound it sounds like some sort of an interference internally in the amp. he's going to go through and see what he can find.

Back