Help. Diezel Amp just quit (update: issue resolved)

to check his tubes could he put the good fuse in and then pull the outer two power tubes....far left one and far right one.....when they are out and only the two inners remain-turn it on and see what happens? If it runs then one of the outers was bad. If it blows then one of the inners is bad? Possibility? Also make sure your speaker cable is plugged in....

Anyone know of a good tech in Raleigh Area? Of course its a Sunday an nothing is open (not that I don't have other amps to play).

The Diezel Manual is terrible, no clue where to even check the fuze. https://www.diezelamplification.com/manuals/en/VH2_Manual_13042018.pdf

BTW, I am technically ignorant. So feel free to assume I don't know jack shit about working on amps or replacing tubes/fuses. But I'm about to learn I'm sure.
Amps have a mains fuse and an HT fuse. Mains fuse would cause no power at all. HT fuse would still allow the tubes to light up but no plate voltage. Pull the power tubes and replace the mains fuse and you’ll likely get power at least. Then you can troubleshoot tubes.

I’ve used two techs around here that are active: KG electronics works out of his garage in Raleigh and DJL is in Greensboro. Both did reasonable work quickly. Diezel’s are super well documented and I’d guess either could solve your problem pretty easily.

This is pretty common, not specific to Diezel but just tube amps in general.

In the future I would recommend to you or any tube amp owner to keep a spare set of power tubes and fuses, as well as a preamp tube or two and a screwdriver around. You don't have to be a hardcore technical guy and you can save a lot of money and time by just learning to identify a bad tube and fuse yourself instead of taking it to a tech. That said every time I've blown a power tube, it's been more obvious than your pictures. The hard ones to troubleshoot are where it looks visually OK. The same applies to fuses, your sample fuse is clearly blown, but I've had fuses blow that still look good - but touch a multimeter to either end and the continuity is broken anyway.

Same logic behind telling people they should learn to do basic setups on their guitars. It always blows my mind when I hear someone took their floyd-equipped guitar to a tech just to change tunings. It's just a few twists of a screwdriver, but the tech is probably going to charge you for a full hour to do that for you.

I’ve used two techs around here that are active: KG electronics works out of his garage in Raleigh and DJL is in Greensboro. Both did reasonable work quickly. Diezel’s are super well documented and I’d guess either could solve your problem pretty easily.
awesome thanks for the recommendations

Dude, read this thread and thought, man, in my 7 years of owning a Herbert and 4 years of having a VH4 as pretty much my go-to amp, I never had any issues and I sort of wonder what I'm doing right. Then tonight I power it on and the volume is like 10x lower than it should be and doesn't scale much with the volume knob. Go figure!

Do

Does Tube amp doctor ship to USA?

The non-local shop I bought the amp from said I should rebias the amp any time you change tubes. Is that correct? I take it your suggestion avoids that?

Don’t need to replace with TADs but JJs will do as well. All the newer Diezel’s are shipping with JJs now a days.

Well everything is working now. I took it to a local amp guy. He tested tubes and all and couldn't find any issue. Fired it up with new fuse and it worked.

So good result. But still a mystery what blew it. Even he said amps don't blow a fuse for no reason. But he couldn't find the reason.

Well everything is working now. I took it to a local amp guy. He tested tubes and all and couldn't find any issue. Fired it up with new fuse and it worked.

So good result. But still a mystery what blew it. Even he said amps don't blow a fuse for no reason. But he couldn't find the reason.
Power Spikes do happen .................. glad everything is working !

Sometimes a tube can be a little gassy and arc and it blows the fuse. Many times the arc causes the gassiness to disperse and be absorbed by the flashing inside the tube.

Other times it could just be a surge from the house power....

Back