Help w/Replacing Trem Assembly on Floyd Type Bridge

Rayneman

I bought a very cool 80s USA BC Rich guitar. It has a BC Rich licensed Floyd Trem bridge with an arm that "pushes in" but whatever little mechanism that "clicks" the arm in place has broken or is missing. So I have a replacement Schaller brand arm and coupling assembly that works like the rest of my Floyd-type bridges in that you push the bar into its sleeve then screw down the "collar" on the bar over the threads on the sleeve. This is what I am attempting to put onto my BR Rich's bridge. It seems simple, remove the old assembly such that there is a hole in the bridge plate, fit the new sleeve through the hole and secure via post and screw from the bottom. Done. However, I cannot get the original assembly off of the bridge. I have put these replacement assemblies on several guitars in the past, and I don't recall there ever being an issue, but its been awhile.

I have attached some photos (uh, they are really big I guess) to help explain what I am trying to remove, but I've removed all screws/bolts/sleeves there are to remove and all that is left is the thing into which the old arm would insert. It seems securely fastened to the bridge plate. Any ideas? THANKS
IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

Here is what I am trying to put on...its the bar and pieces that are rightmost in the photo:
IMG_0180.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 32
If it is pressed in, you could grind or file the back and pull it out, but then would the hole be too big?

If it is pressed in, you could grind or file the back and pull it out, but then would the hole be too big?
Thanks, it does appear to be permanently attached, in which case you're right, or I guess I just need to get a new bridge, which is a pain in the ass. I'd be happy to "repair" the current trem bar setup, but I can't find any info on what parts I'd need to get or where I could get them. I believe, the issue is some type of piece that is tightened by a 2mm screw on the side of the post/receptacle. When you push in the bar, it "clicks" into place and stays until you pull it out. This is what is missing now, so the bar will go into the post/receptacle, but it wont' STAY there. Hence why I want to replace it.

Maybe fixing what is there is the best way but if you can't find the parts you need, and you are going to replace the whole trem. Then, you have nothing to lose try to get that trem piece of the trem frame. I would guess the hole size should be the same.

Contact Floyd rose. They have been helpful with issues like this on old guitars. You might just need the old style Floyd bar that comes with the nut for the bottom side.

I think you know a certain Tool and Die maker thats local.
(Or is it LOCO)
:LOL:
I do know this one crazy guy. I also have been hauling around a "bench grinder" in my trunk that is making all sorts of racket when I drive, I need to give it to that one crazy guy, but for whatever reason I keep forgetting. Perhaps a "meeting" at a certain establishment should be scheduled to turn over this bench grinder machine.

Is it maybe threaded in? If you can tell it's pressed in let it soak in some rust penetrant and use a wooden dowel to Hamer it out

I do know this one crazy guy. I also have been hauling around a "bench grinder" in my trunk that is making all sorts of racket when I drive, I need to give it to that one crazy guy, but for whatever reason I keep forgetting. Perhaps a "meeting" at a certain establishment should be scheduled to turn over this bench grinder machine.
You said "Grinder"....lol
Or did you mean face plant in my pubic mound (AKA "Ponch")

Back