Help! Weird buzzing sound

xzyryabx

If I put the amp master volume to 12 o'clock (engl ironball, 25W attenuated to silent using the buolt in attenuator) I can hear a buzzing sound whenever I strum my strings.....as if there is a tiny shitty speaker in my amp.
The problem seem more pronounced when I am pluggued into my torpedo live (and therefore using that as the attenuator).
I just noticed this problem after I upgraded the torpedo formware, so not sure if that has anything to do with it?

xzyryabx":240at4de said:
If I put the amp master volume to 12 o'clock (engl ironball, 25W attenuated to silent using the buolt in attenuator) I can hear a buzzing sound whenever I strum my strings.....as if there is a tiny shitty speaker in my amp.
The problem seem more pronounced when I am pluggued into my torpedo live (and therefore using that as the attenuator).
I just noticed this problem after I upgraded the torpedo formware, so not sure if that has anything to do with it?

Not a problem, nothing's wrong, never played that amp or used torpedo live but I have various attenuators and all my amps do the same if I go so low in volume as to be able to hear this buzz. I've been told it's the output transformer or power transformer (can't remember which) It's a tin sounding vibrating, buzzy and rattling sound.

Thanks for the reply bud.
I don't think that's it in my case though.
Just turned on the amp to play through it and I'm getting a hum from the cab this time, the kind of hum/buzz you expect when you crank an amp and mute the strings, however the amp is barely at 1 (tried the different built in attenuation settings and they all had the same problem. The sounds appears to dissappear when I play, so makes me think 60 hz buzz but it wasn't there before the initial buzzing issue earlier this afternoon.

whatcha think now?

Have no clue, the sound I get is not a hum, and you hear it only when you are picking and like you said in your first post it's as if its a very shitty super quit speaker in your amp lol. Only happens as I described earlier when at super low levels with all my attenuators...Fryette powerstation, Alex, and Tone King Ironman.

Edit/ I've read at TGP about people describing the same thing I described when using attenuators and it is a common occurrence. Not sure what's up with you situation?

xzyryabx":2n7uxwwb said:

It actually sounds like the attenuation used in the Engl has a speaker motor in it rather than a a resistor. It is normal to hear exactly what you described "tiny shitty speaker in my amp". I have a Weber attenuator and I get that same sound from the unit. Hope that helps.

Probably won't help but maybe try a different outlet? Weird sounds have disappeared for me by switching outlets even in the same room.

Back