help with choosing a preamptube for the herbert

shadow070

Hi,

I have at the moment:
V1 Mullard 12ax7 cv4004
V2 Shuguang 12ax7b/ec83 High Gain
v3 Shuguang 12ax7b/ec83

Having tube problems and i have the choice, can you guys recommend other tubes to try?
Dont get me wrong, im digging the sound but having a tad less gain/compression on the channels would be nice.

Thanks,
Robert

The Mullard CV4004 Reissue gives the best sound IMO (more dynamics, open mids and highs). It's hard to find a non-microphonic and non-noisy one though.

This is what I have found to be the best for me in my Herbert:
V1 is the Ruby HG+
V2 is TAD 12AX7B select
V3 thru V6 are China 12AX7B

Thanks for the input!
Tomorrow ill be ordering a full set for the herbert.

Ill order the Mullard and the Ruby and check out both

My go to for v1 in most amps are either JJ ECC83S, Tung Sol 12AX7, or Ruby 12AX7 HG+.
Out of those 3 ive been digging Tung Sols the most.

CEG85":3c8kduo4 said:
My go to for v1 in most amps are either JJ ECC83S, Tung Sol 12AX7, or Ruby 12AX7 HG+.
Out of those 3 ive been digging Tung Sols the most.

I might pick up one then, thanks for the tip

Based on another thread on this forum, I just changed both my Herbert and D-Moll V1 sockets to a Genalex Gold Lion ECC83......huge difference for the better! Super smooth cleans and a Matchless-like glassy gain character! I know the Gold Lions are about 150% more costly than a standard issue tube, but I took a chance based on another user’s recommendation and it paid off! Just sayin’.

Im planning on putting a Ganelex in the V1, im also waiting on my EL34 to arrive
In the V2 i have a Shuguang ECC83 High Gain

I have to much gain on tap, way to much, should i leave the V2as is or change the tube?

I have four Diezels. If too much gain, I run a TAD 7025 in either VI or V2.
My taste changes based on which 4x12 cab/speakers I use.

Back