Preamp tubes experimenting

shadow070

Hi all,

When it comes down to changing the overall feel and tone, is the V3 the only one i have to change?
Also, can the V1 also handle a standard ecc83 tube?

The layout:
V1 = input stage and channel 2
V2 = channel 3
V3 = all channels
V4 = mixer and send buffer
V5 = return driver serial and parallel
V6 = phase inverter

Ive been playing my herbert for 10+ years, i recently got a JVM and im enjoying it a lot, some things i didnt like anymore with my Herbert i found that it was preamp tube related (partly, also speaker and cab).
The jvm, a faulthy preamp tube made me swap the tubes with a spair tube that i had for the herbert, the charcter in the JVM changed a lot, so maybe its time to experiment with preamp tubes.

Im looking for darker, low gain, mid heavey with a rounder attack. Having read a lot it seems the JJ ecc83 or jj ecc83s might be what im looking for. So im thinking of dropping them in the V1, V2 and V3

Cab:
Im enjoying semi open cabs more with G12 type of speakers, so im going to try a semi open with greenbacks.
Times have changed, its hard to find a shop with a lot of cab and speaker options in Holland.
Im also going to try the K100, i would have loved to try a tone tubby but thats going to be a bit harder now.
It looks like a expensive speaker/cab journey a head:cautious:
I play exclusivly at home, for my enjoyment and some of the insects passing trough the window :rock:

Robert

Try a Mullard CV4004 tube in V1…..that’s the only change I made and it worked for me…..this is assuming you have KT77’s in the power section.

Back