Help with slaving speaker out like EVH.

I’d calculate an RC constant to have it attenuated beyond 10KHz with a capacitor to ground at the Jack after the resistors and then shove that direct out signal into a JFET buffer of some type. Most boss pedals are buffered FWIW. Hell you could even possibly just run the signal into a boss EQ and do what you need as is.
It sounds pretty good run into a CH-1 and DD-3 but it’s BRIGHT and HOT! That comes out when the fx are kicked on. Off, it sounds natural. On, bright and on the edge of overdriving the input.

Nigel, I may be off on a tangent here..

But just going off your thread title, the whole EVH slaving thing was always done with a purely resistive load.

Even Friedman said recently that up till the 90's when he was using the 'Bradshaw rig', it was a resistive load - he even used that rig in the studio.

Are you running it into the return of slave amp? Is it a poweramp or an amp? If its an amp are you running it into the frontend of said slave amp?

Are you running it into the return of slave amp? Is it a poweramp or an amp? If its an amp are you running it into the frontend of said slave amp?
It’s a solid state combo. I’ve been using the clean channel and low input to balance and eq the signal. Even running the Boss pedals in its loop results in distortion hence the question.

Nigel, I may be off on a tangent here..

But just going off your thread title, the whole EVH slaving thing was always done with a purely resistive load.

Even Friedman said recently that up till the 90's when he was using the 'Bradshaw rig', it was a resistive load - he even used that rig in the studio.
Right, it’s not. The Rivera power amp is driving a V30, the direct out is padded down speaker level.

I may just used the preamp out which has a level control but God the underbiased low voltage browned power section is where the sex tone is.

It does and I’ve used it but it has no level control so it’s LOUD.
Easy fix, bro

bm9AnDW.jpg

It does and I’ve used it but it has no level control so it’s LOUD.
If you use a Boss or MXR 10 band it has level control on it you can use as volume control to the slave combo amp input to get you something usable. Overall if you want the power amp tone then you are going to have to tap the speaker jack with something like the Suhr Iso Line which has level control so you can adjust how much signal strength you are hitting your slave power amps input so you don't overdrive it as you are describing. I would imagine the Boss/MXR EQ would also provide you that control but I'm not sure if the impedances are perfect.

Is this direct out on the M60 tapping the signal from the speaker jack or from the preamp section? If it is a direct out as you say it almost has to be a tapped signal from the overal preamp/power amp signal at the speaker jacks.

Last edited:
It sounds pretty good run into a CH-1 and DD-3 but it’s BRIGHT and HOT! That comes out when the fx are kicked on. Off, it sounds natural. On, bright and on the edge of overdriving the input.
That's why you are going to have to use an EQ pedal and cut the 8khz and above as your owner manual of the M60 states, then after you cut the 8khz and above with the EQ then feed your effects pedals then the input of your combo amp. Since the EQ has the level control you could effectively control the volume to the effects loop in/return of your combo amp if you don't want to use the input to the whole preamp section of the combo amp thus using mostly the driver and power amp section of the combo amp. Experiment you should be able to come up with something that works good.

If you want to sound correct get a cheap ;line out box. Fuck that padded bullshit on that Rivera. A beringher line out will work and sound better. Then take that to the return of the combo. Make sure the lineout box has a volume control or if not you could still use your chorus/ delay to control volume. All you want is to bring the slave amp with effects to same level as dry amp. Its not rocket science. That line out on the rivera is fuckn you.

That's why you are going to have to use an EQ pedal and cut the 8khz and above as your owner manual of the M60 states, then after you cut the 8khz and above with the EQ then feed your effects pedals then the input of your combo amp. Since the EQ has the level control you could effectively control the volume to the effects loop in/return of your combo amp if you don't want to use the input to the whole preamp section of the combo amp thus using mostly the driver and power amp section of the combo amp. Experiment you should be able to come up with something that works good.
That’s what I’ve been using the slave’s preamp for but it’s note quite there. The EQ may be the cake.

If you want to sound correct get a cheap ;line out box. Fuck that padded bullshit on that Rivera. A beringher line out will work and sound better. Then take that to the return of the combo. Make sure the lineout box has a volume control or if not you could still use your chorus/ delay to control volume. All you want is to bring the slave amp with effects to same level as dry amp. Its not rocket science. That line out on the rivera is fuckn you.
this

771535D7-95AE-4FA2-BBBC-1FE86B5C29C0.jpeg

This unit worked. Dummy plug in “A” output makes “B” 100% wet which makes the volume/level control a master. Single knob EQ tunes it. Rate/Depth off for a slightly phase-y response. Quiet, feels and sounds great. Can kick off for a super boost!

Use the chorus and or delay for the level control, start at 0 and bring it up

This

I use a power station for wet dry slaving specifically to avoid these issues, I run the line out of the Larry into the PS to use as a wet power amp

But I've done it with buffered stereo pedals in the past

View attachment 156970

This unit worked. Dummy plug in “A” output makes “B” 100% wet which makes the volume/level control a master. Single knob EQ tunes it. Rate/Depth off for a slightly phase-y response. Quiet, feels and sounds great. Can kick off for a super boost!

Nice man!!

Back