Hi, rig-talkers!! Can you give me some advice about new amp?

Redneckstomp

Hi, guys!! I've known this forum. But, I registered today and this is my first writing :)
I am a Japanese guy who is living in South Korea because of my job.
I will come back to home next month. So, I decided to buy new amp to celebrate returning home!!
I have Engl Powerball2 and Peavey 6505. I want to try different voicing amp.
I am thinking about Wizard MTL or Fryette Ultra Lead.
Many people say these amps are raw, uncompressed, tight, clear. From the clips, I like both.
I want to test drive these amps, but it's pretty difficult because they are so rare.
So, I need an opinion of user of these amps. I play blues to metal. But, main is metal like thrash, death.
Especially, I want to know their differences of gain structure. Thanks!! :D

I am a huge fan of the UL. One of the top five amps in my collection. I have not had a chance to try a wizard MTL,but would not hesitate to advise you to get either one of them. I would tell ya to shoot for the wizard because of you don't dig it(doubtful),you can always cut a trade deal for a UL plus cash pretty easily. The MTL is a pretty desirable amp around here.

I would also tell you to look at both Peters and KSR amps. Both make stuff you might really dig.

I heard Wizard MTL is heading towards a KT88 version... but i have no idea if its also available on 50watts... if circuit be same as the EL34 it be fun to hear the EL34 midrange and the tighter modern low mid of KT88...

You might wanna wait if your heading towards the Wizards... but i own no wizard here, i merely have lots of fun with my VHT UL and CLX...

For a change of pace you could look at a Mesa JP2C or find a real deal C+, if you have the cash for a Wizard you can afford a vintage C+. Both can definitely do thrash and yes the gain can be dialed back for a dirty blues kinda thing.
Adding the Mesa would allow you to cover a ton of tones with the other 2 you own.

If you go VHT I would recommend a Deliverance, they are very affordable used..7-900 US and while only 1 channel, they have the best tone of any VHT amp IMO.

But, the amps you are considering are definitely beasts!
:rock:

I own both the MTL and an Ultra-Lead. Those to and my MCII are my top three amps I've ever owned. You can't go wrong with either. If you have the $ to spend, I'd get the MTL. You can find a used UL on cheap if you can get someone to ship it to you. My friend is selling a nice one in the classifieds right now actually.

The KT88 MTL really interests me, can't wait to hear one.

I'll second the D60. It will do the death/thrash stuff REALLY well plus bluesy/rock stuff. Its very versatile and kills. Also, I'll second the recommendation of KSR. I have an KSR Ares and it has a very unique hyper aggressive voicing, its TIGHT as hell but forgiving and fun to play. Goes from relatively "dry" crunchy gain to all out full saturation/compressed liquid gain on either channel.

I also say the Deliverance! It's amazing how many tones come out of this amp. I had a 120 and now have a 60 and I could not be happier!! And the price on them is a bonus. :thumbsup: :rock:

As a current MTL owner... and as a previous owner of several UltraLeads... the MTL gets my vote. No contest either. Not even close. Far better sounding, responding amp all around.

hopkinWFG":30ksycur said:
I heard Wizard MTL is heading towards a KT88 version... but i have no idea if its also available on 50watts... if circuit be same as the EL34 it be fun to hear the EL34 midrange and the tighter modern low mid of KT88...

You might wanna wait if your heading towards the Wizards... but i own no wizard here, i merely have lots of fun with my VHT UL and CLX...

This sounds like someone who has never played a MTL thought KT88s will make it "more metal bro.. YEAH!". :no: :gay:

A big part of the sound and magic are from the EL34 power section. KT88s would be a big mistake. EL34s sound way crunchier, classic and more pleasing when distorted... KT88s... not so much... KT88s are usually used in a gained out preamp where all you want from the power section is a lot of clean power and no-little color.

MetalHeadMike":1h2ukjd6 said:
I'll second the D60. It will do the death/thrash stuff REALLY well plus bluesy/rock stuff. Its very versatile and kills. Also, I'll second the recommendation of KSR. I have an KSR Ares and it has a very unique hyper aggressive voicing, its TIGHT as hell but forgiving and fun to play. Goes from relatively "dry" crunchy gain to all out full saturation/compressed liquid gain on either channel.

Mike... compared to the Wizard MTL... the KSR stuff is waaaayyy more saturated, thicker and wider sounding. Like comparing your Savage 120 to a Dual Recto.
;)

Wizard of Ozz":12988ere said:
MetalHeadMike":12988ere said:

Mike... compared to the Wizard MTL... the KSR stuff is waaaayyy more saturated, thicker and wider sounding. Like comparing your Savage 120 to a Dual Recto.
;)

I'd love to try Wizard someday. Don't know that will ever happen though unless I find someone close by that owns one.

Gsxrbusa, if you read this thread, please buy a Wizard amp so the next time I visit the in-laws in CO I can stop buy and play on it :D

Wizard of Ozz":2r7wgjvp said:
hopkinWFG":2r7wgjvp said:

This sounds like someone who has never played a MTL thought KT88s will make it "more metal bro.. YEAH!". :no: :gay:

A big part of the sound and magic are from the EL34 power section. KT88s would be a big mistake. EL34s sound way crunchier, classic and more pleasing when distorted... KT88s... not so much... KT88s are usually used in a gained out preamp where all you want from the power section is a lot of clean power and no-little color.

Thanks for clearing out... i really should save some money on the wizard and perhaps that be my last amp ever taking the fact that am just a darn bedroom player lol...

But really after getting the VHT CLX and UL i kinda prefer the UL vibe as these has got same preamp circuit but just different power section... its clear that the CLX has got good harmonics and easy breakups than the UL kt88 loaded but i just see the UL being a raw super tight with low mid agression thats more modern... not that i dont like the CLX but i just prefer the UL a bit more...

Maybe in time to come i may like my CLX EL34 loaded more when i get more mature and grow more on tone ?

But i have no idea how the MTL would relates on what i think on the EL34 vs KT88 version... thinking if it has the same preamp circuit and it may not yield same comparison as to VHT pittbulls....

I had a MTL 50, you won't find a more open and uncompressed tone anywhere. Has a really cool feel to it, not as unique as a C+ but cool nonetheless. And, that 50w is BS because it stayed right with my 2203. Lol.
Just a great amp. I'm sure you will love it.

Only reason I traded/sold it were the mids...if it had Marshall mids I'd still have it. It is just a little too different in the mids for me. I think an MCII would be more for me.

-ive owned a few amps & i've never heard any amp sound BIGGER than a WIZARD-

-(former -{UL}- owner)-
-(current)-WIZARD MC·1{+1} + {M.C.} owner-

sg guy":4lk2zjzk said:

-(former -{UL}- owner)-
Lots of truth here. Only other 50-60w amp that was as easily mistaken for a 100w is a Deliverance 60. Both Wizard and VHT are HUGE sounding amps.

Racerxrated":2836bxp5 said:
sg guy":2836bxp5 said:

-(former -{UL}- owner)-
Lots of truth here. Only other 50-60w amp that was as easily mistaken for a 100w is a Deliverance 60. Both Wizard and VHT are HUGE sounding amps.

:yes: The D60 sounds MASSIVE. Its insane how loud and punchy this amp is and how much air it moves. When I first got mine I was playing it in a spare bedroom and it rattled three light bulbs to the point where they unscrewed from the socket and smashed on the floor in the adjacent bathroom :LOL: :LOL:

MetalHeadMike":2byj7fk8 said:
Racerxrated":2byj7fk8 said:
sg guy":2byj7fk8 said:

-(former -{UL}- owner)-

:yes: The D60 sounds MASSIVE. Its insane how loud and punchy this amp is and how much air it moves. When I first got mine I was playing it in a spare bedroom and it rattled three light bulbs to the point where they unscrewed from the socket and smashed on the floor in the adjacent bathroom :LOL: :LOL:

I had a D120! :rock:

Back