High Gain Amp Shootout, Saturday June 20th, Hollywood, CA.

Thanx again for having me there. That amp was a custom build for the Jersie client .. here is the standard 50 watt head and custom 4-12 in ostrich
surrealhalf005.jpg

I keep going back and back..... SLO so far is my fav under these circumstances of James song. the new VH4 is cool also as well as the 71'.

well, what a thing this was, and is, and will be for quite some time to come
may I express my thanks to James and the collaborators for expending the
mammoth effort in order to make this shootout a reality

it could never be all things to all men, and you hedged it into an area that
you generally work - the Les Paul and Marshall mod combo
it works for me, and I am not even a 'Paul owner

I also enjoyed being taken on the journey around LA; that made it all the
more interactive

adding some more mainstream amps over time would be a nice way to
keep kindling the interest
thankfully when I plugged into my amps after the listening I was still happy
and feeling in no way needing to sell my grandmother for one of the amps
heard, although she knows with my inveterate tweeking, she is merely on
layaway, and keeps a bag packed just in case

I have an inexplicable urge to do this a lot now :rock:
you made me up the gain on my amps too
rock on

Can't sleep, so I listened through the clips. Love the '71, VH4, SLO, Dual Rec. I also listened a lot to the EVH 5150 III, it has some cool stuff going on, I didn't really like when we were playing, it sounded fuzzy to me but it sounds cool on the clips.

I was thinking near the end of the night you and everyone else still there would be tired and would effect the clips done near the end. Strange enough they are some of my favorites.

The fact you did all this in one day is kind of crazy in a amazing way.

That was a great collection of tones. The benefit of hearing them back to back in the same room, besides comparing actual tonal differences, was being able to hear the amps in their raw form with no added studio magic. Alot of times when you hear clips on the forum from different users, there are so many variables between what equipment, mic placement, etc. was used that you can't compare. Since you guys had everything together, it made it easier.

I could definitely tell what amp :thumbsup: s I would really like and what tones I gravitate towards by listening to that. I have a Splawn-Modded Marshall 1959SLP Reissue and when I heard the Hairy Brown Mod part, I heard certain frequencies and tones that I would love. Most of the amps are going to sound great just because they are popular amps in the high gain world. The key is finding a personal preference (hot-rodded Marshall crunch, bassy over-the-top modern, brown sound, etc., etc.)

I think people will be referencing those clips for quite some time in the future. You guys had alot of choices there and it will help people with their decisions.

It's 1:30am and I came back to the studio to play and figure out what I'm keeping and what I'm dumping. I've decided to sell my Herbert, it's a great head I just don't see it's best attributes being used at my studio. I don't do enough serious metal to warrant the Herbert. The new VH4 I bought is gonna be way more useful for the kind of music I make.

So my rig is:

1. Diezel VH4
2. Mesa Boogie Dual Racto (2 Ch)
3. '71 Marshall Super Tremolo - Friedman Kitchen Sink (EL34's)
4. '76 Marshall JMP MKII - Friedman Kitchen Sink (6550's)
5. Vox AC15
6. Fender Deluxe Reverb

That's it, if I can't make it with that I'm hopeless. I'm lecturing at a music conference in Amsterdam in October, I'm gonna sell the Herbert and use the money to travel for a week or so through Paris and Rome. I'm thinking $2800 for the Herbert, Friedman just went through it this weekend, she's mint and ready to roll if anyone's interested.

IMG00084.jpg

James,

Good luck on the trip sounds great. I would be happy to amp sit while you're gone. Also when is the speaker cab shootout, that seems to be all that's left. Wait until they all start coming in from the UPS man! :LOL: :LOL:

This is a bit belated, but I just want to say thank you to James and everyone else involved in this mammoth sized project! :thumbsup: Man, I wish I could have been there
For someone like myself who has to travel a lot to hear these amps back to back, this was a godsend.
It's pretty hard for me to pick a fav out of the clips, but if I had to I think I'd pick a tie between the 20th XTC and the 71 Marshall. The SLO impressed me also for the first time! I've played them before never really being impressed, but I dug it on the clips.

Thanks again James! You :rock: -Jordan

No VHT???? :cry:

It seems a lot of the high gain amps like the the Herbert, Uberschall, VHTs, etc all have some similar characteristics other than being a Marshall variant. They seem to have a stiff aggressive midrange with a bigger bottom. Then again, a Plexi has a pretty big bottom, so what do I know! ;)

Damn this is awesome!!! I am downloading them all, and I just downloaded the pickup tests. I now have entertainment for my 5, and 4 hour flights tomorrow. I am just wishing that I knew about this before it happened. I would have loved to hear how my Peters compares to some of the big fire breathers.

Thanks for doing this!!!!

WOW that ENGL Screamer sure seems to fit nice with your around the world in 30 days song. I think that is one of the best ones, right up there with the Herbert. I am still wishing that I was able to get my Peters in on this, but I will be making some sound clips once I get my parametric EQ :rock:

James Lugo":czxy8q7f said:
jerrydyer":czxy8q7f said:
yep,
my new favorite songe "Around the world in 30 days"
my new favorite word

"unscathed" yeah :LOL: :LOL:

You just don't hear it enough in songs. :D

Another one is "moot". only one song I know- "Jessie's girl",

he rhymes "cute" with "I wanna tell her that I love her but the point is probably moot".

:) haha that's my personal fav rarely if ever used word

vainguitarist":361vda6a said:
That what I hate on those websites is, that as soon as opened some loud music suddenly starts - and you can't find no button nowhere to shut down the noise :codeak:

So my wife and my daughter woke up - it's 1:45 am here in Germany - and I've had some 'nice' discussion with them!

Don't think, that I'll ever step on this website once again!

Larry

Back