High Gain Amp Shootout, Saturday June 20th, Hollywood, CA.

James Lugo":5rzq5m88 said:
danyeo":5rzq5m88 said:
Greazygeo":5rzq5m88 said:
I didnt listen to many clips yet....liked the SLO and Elmwood alot. They sound pretty similar actually.

I like both of those as well. Some guys didn't like the ELmwood clip but i like it. Oh well, some guys are drooling over the VH4 clip while i don't think much of it.

Watching all the videos it's like we have our own little reality show :LOL: :LOL: The Real Housewives OF NJ can suck it. :D Can't believe my wife watches that crap.

The Real Housewives Of Hollywood
:D

The Real Ampwhores Of Hollywood. :LOL: :LOL:

Hey Joisey...What Exit? :LOL: :LOL: Classic. I can't when i was in LA in 1994 people about a shiity little town near where i lived called Keansburg, otherwise known as Sleazeburg.
:LOL: :LOL:

* velcro-fly *":1xhpxbwx said:
James Lugo":1xhpxbwx said:
I just messed around this morning real quick with the new VH4, here's a short clip:
https://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=7754713

I think I'm gonna really love this amp. I gotta play tighter and cleaner though. In the sections where my playing is better it sounds better.

"Trapped inside this lonely mayeeyaze" :rock: :rock: :rock:

You f@#*er....if nothing else you've got your song permanently ingrained in about 10,000 dudes heads.... :LOL: :LOL:

BTW - amp sound pretty freaking good.

:yes: :thumbsup:

Digital Jams":3tk8mdo6 said:
James Lugo":3tk8mdo6 said:
I just messed around this morning real quick with the new VH4, here's a short clip:

I think I'm gonna really love this amp. I gotta play tighter and cleaner though. In the sections where my playing is better it sounds better.

NOw your playing with fucking napalm scarecrow..................now that was nasty with awesome grid and articulation!

:rock: :rock: :rock:
IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

recto2.jpg

Congrats on the VH4 James. Great choice of a GREAT amp! Loved the clip...What was the chain you used?
James Lugo":1tyzuwvw said:
Digital Jams":1tyzuwvw said:
James Lugo":1tyzuwvw said:

NOw your playing with fucking napalm scarecrow..................now that was nasty with awesome grid and articulation!

:rock: :rock: :rock:
IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

recto2.jpg

One thing cool about what this shootout has done for us is that we can all hear the amps without doing a visual of settings or any other changes between amps. What I mean by visual is a lot of people judge an amp by what they have to do with the knobs. Most people think you have to "V" eq a Mesa Recto to make it sound right, but I've found that to be way off the mark. Other than for the "way scooped" metal chug chug, that type of setting really makes a great amp sound,... well not so great. And I know it probably sounds strange to hear me say it, but I can't count the number of times I've heard or read "I thought the SLO was OK. But it was too bright and I had to turn down the treble and presence to get it to sound good". Then I ask the question, "But how did it sound when you did that?". Usually the answer will be, "It was great and I liked what I was hearing". Then my reply is always, "If it sounded great, why does it matter where the knobs are?" And it seems more and more people are digging the SLO in this thread. So my point is that if players would just close their eyes and leave their preconceptions at the door more often, they might find what they really like in a place they never thought they would. The SLO has been around a very long time now, with no changes to the basic design, probably because it works. Mine is not going anywhere, another tool in the tool box. It's a great rock/metal amp that has found it's way into blues, country, fusion, etc, etc, etc. There is a reason why certain amps have that "mystique" about them and hold their value.

Figured that's what was changed...that's probably why it's the best clip I've ever heard of a VH4! :rock: Sounds more organic with those tubes.

I've listened to these clips all week (several times), starting with the vids early Sunday morning (21-June).

My fav is the Jose Mod (has been since I first heard it, nothing even came close for me); the stock '74 Super Lead; then the Marsha, '76 Marshall JMP Friedman mod,... All these amps sounded great though I was disappointed with the DAR (which is good, as it would have me GASing bigtime) - its good, but for the price there are options that would work better for me.

Finally, the Tritone. That amp just grabbed me and slammed my face into the wall (i.e., got my attention). I like vintage Vox and Marshall tones, but this Tritone just sounded great. I'd have to go with the Jose Mod as my top pick, but I'd still want a Tritone too. (Neither of these will be forthcoming though, but it is fun to dream! ;)

Once again, James Lugo - you ROCK! Thanks again for the beyond EPIC, now legendary, infamous and infinitely reusable amp comparison tone catalog. If you ever get to Atlanta, GA let me know :cheers:

+1 for a future vintage amp shootout.

Digital Jams":392a8zce said:
James, if you ever are crazy enough to do this again you HAVE to havea Fortin in that line up, it will not disappoint ;)

For sure. I spoke with Mike this week about something else and I think the subject came up, I can't remember.

Back