HS super strats

Progbusters

I am digging the Hamer Californian 27 and the ESP Horizon FR27. Both with bridge humbucker and single coil neck. Although I never played one... I like vitues of the single neck pu on my Fenders and of course i could just play bridge humbucks all day long. What's your opinion and what are other cool 80's pointy super strats with this config?

I ditched the middle pickup on my Strat, and just have a single cool in the neck, And a bucker in the bridge. It's perfect. I never used the mid sc anyway :)

HS is Lynch's M.O. so you can't really knock em based off that alone... But the best neck tones, IMO, are the ones Slash pulls from his LP with the tone knob rocked back so when I do get a neck pup guitar it usually has an Alnico bucker in there

American Stratocaster, Suhr Aldrich, Quarter Pound :rock:
WhiteStrat3.jpg

American Stratocaster, Super Distortion, Quarter Pound :rock:
IMG_0047.jpg

Badronald":n918sinc said:
WhiteStrat3.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

Killer! Which do you pick up the most and for what style music? I have tried the Aldrich in 3 guitars and never cared for it. But I do love the Super Distortion....and especially love the 1/4 pound.

I dig the Suhr , it's got this thick saturated thing going on ...not huge in the lows, but just chewy.

Kapo_Polenton":hp9h983w said:
How gainy is the quarter pounder? Does it match up well enough with the hotter bridge PU?

I've tried quite a few and it's the one that has lasted with a humbucker in the bridge. It's LOUD. Hangs well. And it's a single coil, which I prefer at the neck.

EyesOfTheSouth":qb5o57of said:
Badronald":qb5o57of said:
WhiteStrat3.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

Killer! Which do you pick up the most and for what style music? I have tried the Aldrich in 3 guitars and never cared for it. But I do love the Super Distortion....and especially love the 1/4 pound.

I honestly lean toward the White Strat with the Suhr Aldrich. It's bigger and more open than the SD. The SD is great for sure, The white guitar has a better upper end, bright harmonic tone to it. It might be the bridge with the vintage saddles. I play at church and I play all the rock parts. Solos. Parts. Heavy chords. Slide.

I play in a rock band as well and and use a full on Marshall/Mesa, balls to the wall tone. Ripping leads. The Aldrich is my go to. Heavy but cleans up well when rolling off the volume. Retains brightness.

My favorite pickup configuration. On my latest creation, I used a 5-way super switch so I can get 1: neck single, 2: neck single and one coil of bridge humbucker in parallel, 3: neck single and bridge humbucker in parallel, 4: one coil of bridge humbucker, and 5: bridge humbucker. This allows a lot of different options. I think I use position two the most for clean sounds.

Badronald":18wwl3g4 said:
Kapo_Polenton":18wwl3g4 said:
How gainy is the quarter pounder? Does it match up well enough with the hotter bridge PU?

I've tried quite a few and it's the one that has lasted with a humbucker in the bridge. It's LOUD. Hangs well. And it's a single coil, which I prefer at the neck.

they aren't super gainy so playing clean is certainly an option with them......but the LOVE high gain amps :rock:

If you're after a 27 fret superstrat in that config, maybe look at a Caparison.

I do like ESP guitars, but they're a bit clinical. My Horizon NTII looked & played great but sounded pretty inferior when put next to my Suhr.

I think generally, your PRS's, Gibsons & Suhr's of the world have a better, woody depth to them.

Ibanez RGR565, RG3XXV but they aren't made anymore. Or Satriani sigs JS2400 and JS24P, which have a more traditional Strat block heel joint.

RGR565:
RG565_LB.jpg

JS2400:
JS2400_WH_00_01.png

Back