Huge gain difference between my 5150-III EL34 S amp and 5150-III 6L6

romanianreaper

It had been awhile since I had plugged into a 5150-III 6L6 amp and today they had one in a local store so I plugged in.

On the blue channel, I had to almost dime the gain to equal my amp at 9-10 o'clock. That kind of surprised me because I didn't think it would be that separated.

The clean channel was definitely more clean than mine as well.

Interesting. I have a 6l6 100 watt stealth for EVH tones have thought about comparing again . It’s definitely my fav but I had good rum with other versions

That sounds like what we talked about in your last thread. The 6L6 on the Blue doesn't have a ton of gain. It is like the classic rock, to hair metal, to classic thrash channel.

It definitely sounds like your combo is equivalent to the Stealth heads.

I’m actually surprised you said the 6L6 was cleaner, cuz I thought the EL34 green channel was clean clean? The 6L6 green always had breakup around 10:00 on my 6L6 combo.

The voicing and gain of the 5150III 50w 6L6 is exactly what makes it great for covers bands as it covers so much ground between the three channels - and the clean can be spanky!
Totally agree with this. I just picked up this amp and I've had it for a week. So underrated!

Anemic preamp tubes?
This right here. Was the amp brand new floor model or used? I just had a friend over who brought over his 2011 6L6 100w to jam with me and we plugged into my stealth 50w as well. There was ample gain on his blue channel but my stealth had about maybe 20% more and was voiced different.

The following should make sense to explain it all.

That the stealth is to help people get Eddie tones they complained they weren't getting on the 6L6. Also correction to the channel vol jump between 1 and 2.

The EL34 version is supposed to be the answer to that problem but then you don't get the exact same 6L6 high gain tone.

However, people still complained and that is why you have the new 5150 iconic.

The reality is people who wanted Eddie's tone should have been chasing up a Plexi, Peavey, or modeler instead.

The 5150III 6L6 is EvH's attempt at a Soldano-type head.

eddie_van_halen_uses_soldano_slo_100_100_watt_tube_guitar_amplifier_1_fc1d828e10.jpg

The following should make sense to explain it all.

That the stealth is to help people get Eddie tones they complained they weren't getting on the 6L6. Also correction to the channel vol jump between 1 and 2.

The EL34 version is supposed to be the answer to that problem but then you don't get the exact same 6L6 high gain tone.

However, people still complained and that is why you have the new 5150 iconic.

The reality is people who wanted Eddie's tone should have been chasing up a Plexi, Peavey, or modeler instead.

The 5150III 6L6 is EvH's attempt at a Soldano-type head.

eddie_van_halen_uses_soldano_slo_100_100_watt_tube_guitar_amplifier_1_fc1d828e10.jpg
And I’m fine with that! Lol

Back