G
Guttalaser
New member
Your is the only one replay that can really help my project.OK, I'll take a stab at this.
1. I respectfully disagree with not having any dry in the wet cabs. Kill dry becomes important only when you mix a straight analog signal with a copy of that signal that's gone through analog/digital conversion. The slight delay introduced by the latency of the AD/DA will cause phase cancellations.
2. Parallel is one way to do it, but series is just as valid. It depends on what you want the final sound to be.
3. I'll use the one amp sound here, but there's nothing wrong with using different amps, either switching between their pre-amps or just using them for power amps. IME, I've never found an IR that is as satisfying as a real cab. Having said that, IRs are much more consistent for FOH.
Guitar >> Drive >> Amp >> Output to middle cab
>> Send to Wet FXS (nothing in the return)
>> Micropitch stereo out >> Catacombs >> SDE3000 stereo in
>> SDE stereo out >> left cab & right cab
Drive Pedals: Of these, I'd go with the Solodallas because I personally like it better than the others. Your last statement is good, though, any drive pedal(s) you want. I'd just make sure that they are true bypass. A few buffered bypass pedals, like the MXRs, won't hurt, but they will add up if you use more than a handful. If that's the case, I'd add a pedal switcher. Many options there, but beyond the scope of this rig.
Amp Pedals: Of these, I'd go with the IR-J, but personally, I'd go with a real amp here.
From there, I'd use the send but not the return. Either that or just a y-cable from the output. The output would go to the middle cab and the send would go to the input of the wet FXs. Nothing plugged into the return so the output stays dry.
The first Wet FX would be the Micropitch. I think this one only has a mono input making it have to be the first in line. But this is a pretty normal placement with lots of classis rigs starting with a chorus or pitch-shifter.
From the Micropitch, I'd go stereo-out to stereo-in to the Catacombs. Then from the Catacombs, stereo-out to stereo-in to the SDE3000. Reasoning here is that many classic rigs put the reverb before the delay and used the delay to glue the FX together. Bob Bradshaw made this popular. But, there's nothing wrong with delay into reverb, either.
Cabs: Not much choice here. Powered cabs have their advantages, but I prefer passive guitar speakers with a separate power amp. That eliminates the need for an IR but still allows you to add an IR if you want to send that to FOH.
Splitters: None, just not needed in this setup. If you had more than 3 digital pedals in there, I'd recommend going with a splitter and a mixer for a parallel setup. But based on my experience, unless you're super-sensitive to latency, you'll be fine. Worst case is that the latency will add a few milliseconds of delay between the center cab and the L/R cabs, which will just make it sound bigger even with the FX bypassed.
The other... well ok... "buy 3 5150III, 3 guitar cabs, a stereo tube power amp"... and then what?... a studio mic pre... 3 mics... rent the Sunset... cm'on!!!
Just some thoughts about your system:
1) With the Rolls MX28 (the 3 stereo ins/one stereo out line mixer) I should be able to mix the % of the wet fxs I want
2) The "tone" amp will be the Tone King Royalist (helped by the Soldano pedal if one want). The Friedman's will be used only in their returns for the power amp/IR sections (by SYNERGY, is the "digital emulated" side of the "hybrid" system). What I don't see (or understand) in your system is that you take a send and go stright into the fxs... but there you have only a "pre amp" tone... and then you don't have a power amp and ir for the wet "legs".
3) I agree about the delay into reverb and viceversa... but not so much about the micropitch into the ambient fxs or at least not into the delay. The micropitched sound is a kind of big chorusing sound "on his own". But if you go "in series" into a delay you will have micropitched repetitions. maybe a bit too much.
4) About SPLITTERs: the Lehle P-SPLIT Stereo should help me with the two branch of power amped. BUT can be a great solution even with a three-amped solution: guitar into the Lehele... and then three separate amp pedals (say the Royalist as the center dry and the two Friedmans one into the left and one into the right of the delay etc...)