vultures
Well-known member
Thought you guys might like checking this out. I've been collecting cabinets these past few years and got really tired of having to move/turn a stack of 3 cabinets around to plug in this or that.
What does it do that other cabinet switchers do not?
I thought really hard about buying a KHE or Fryette. For my setup, I'd need two KHE ACS 4x4's or two Fryette ZMACs.. I'd still only have 4 cab slots and only 1 or 2 cabinets at a time. With my switcher I can use multiple cabinets at the same time. Since I'm using a Quad Cortex into a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 I can run up to 4x 16Ω cabinets or 2x 8Ω cabinets or 2x 16Ω cabinets & 1x 8Ω cabinet. Since my power is solid state I can also run weird combinations like 3x 16Ω cabs that are 5.33Ω or 1x 8Ω and 1x 16Ω also at 5.33Ω. That's also just on one single channel. I ran a stereo setup with 6 PPC412s the other day, 3 Left & 3 Right. It was magical.
Can I use tube amps?
Yeah, probably. When the mains switches are off it sends each channel to it's own 200W 16Ω resistors. When a c
Is it "smart"?
Absolutely not, but I'm at least somewhat intelligent. If you throw all the switches and mismatch impedance on a tube amp, you'd absolutely fry something. I have no intentions of doing that.
Price?
I'm not retailing these. Someone will blow up their amp and I don't want to be responsible. I'm just under $800 in parts. The resistors were about $50 each. The mains switches were about $40 each. All the switches are Carling and special order since they have the black paddles. The rack enclosure with holes drilled and text/logo engraved ran me about $300+/- and was an absolute fucking nightmare. I won't badmouth the supplier, but that is a large reason why I have no desire to make these commercially. Also realized that Switchcraft N111X jacks are absolute trash and plugs slip right out. I replaced the two inputs with Neutrik NMJ6HF-S and they are nice. Replacing the rest will require significant rewiring which I don't have in me.
What does it do that other cabinet switchers do not?
I thought really hard about buying a KHE or Fryette. For my setup, I'd need two KHE ACS 4x4's or two Fryette ZMACs.. I'd still only have 4 cab slots and only 1 or 2 cabinets at a time. With my switcher I can use multiple cabinets at the same time. Since I'm using a Quad Cortex into a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 I can run up to 4x 16Ω cabinets or 2x 8Ω cabinets or 2x 16Ω cabinets & 1x 8Ω cabinet. Since my power is solid state I can also run weird combinations like 3x 16Ω cabs that are 5.33Ω or 1x 8Ω and 1x 16Ω also at 5.33Ω. That's also just on one single channel. I ran a stereo setup with 6 PPC412s the other day, 3 Left & 3 Right. It was magical.
Can I use tube amps?
Yeah, probably. When the mains switches are off it sends each channel to it's own 200W 16Ω resistors. When a c
Is it "smart"?
Absolutely not, but I'm at least somewhat intelligent. If you throw all the switches and mismatch impedance on a tube amp, you'd absolutely fry something. I have no intentions of doing that.
Price?
I'm not retailing these. Someone will blow up their amp and I don't want to be responsible. I'm just under $800 in parts. The resistors were about $50 each. The mains switches were about $40 each. All the switches are Carling and special order since they have the black paddles. The rack enclosure with holes drilled and text/logo engraved ran me about $300+/- and was an absolute fucking nightmare. I won't badmouth the supplier, but that is a large reason why I have no desire to make these commercially. Also realized that Switchcraft N111X jacks are absolute trash and plugs slip right out. I replaced the two inputs with Neutrik NMJ6HF-S and they are nice. Replacing the rest will require significant rewiring which I don't have in me.