I Changed My Pads

  • Thread starter Thread starter BeZo
  • Start date Start date
BeZo

BeZo

Well-known member
After years of use, it was time. I got new pads for my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros. They feel so much better now.
20260813_170053.jpg
 
It's interesting, at least with my sennheiser hd 600s, I feel like they sound better with worn pads, and I'm not the only person to notice this

Of course, it's much more comfortable on your head to have new, fresh ones
 
Holy crap, I looked up how much my Sony MDR7506 phones cost today and they are $113?! I paid maybe $70 for them 2 years ago. I have two of them because I liked them so much.

Curious though, are the Beyerdynamic DT990 a huge improvement over the Sony's?
 
Holy crap, I looked up how much my Sony MDR7506 phones cost today and they are $113?! I paid maybe $70 for them 2 years ago. I have two of them because I liked them so much.

Curious though, are the Beyerdynamic DT990 a huge improvement over the Sony's?

I would say that's a solid/noticeable upgrade but it depends on the use case

That's comparing closed to open back which is an entirely different style of headphone for a different purpose

The sonys are great for listening to music, probably get left in the dust for monitoring or mixing though
 
My other pair is the Audio-Technica ATH-M50, which I really only used for tracking before I started using IEMs. These days, they are my loaner pair if I'm recording someone and they don't have their own.
 
That's what my synth player used throughout the recording process. No joke.

honestly even if the cans are shitty, if you understand what they sound like vs what is actually there in the frequency spectrum, you can use shitty cans just fine. Tons of people have mixed insane sounding records on cheap headphones or speakers.

Great headphones (just like monitors) aren't expensive because they sound "good" they are expensive because they are accurate which makes it easier to make things translate from one device to another, one format to another
 
honestly even if the cans are shitty, if you understand what they sound like vs what is actually there in the frequency spectrum, you can use shitty cans just fine. Tons of people have mixed insane sounding records on cheap headphones or speakers.

Great headphones (just like monitors) aren't expensive because they sound "good" they are expensive because they are accurate which makes it easier to make things translate from one device to another, one format to another

True. Reference monitors of any sort are only good if you are able to reference with them. Sometimes the best monitors are the ones you are intimately familiar with. I didn't stop him from using the headphones he wears for 8-10 hours a day. I get it.

It goes with people that dial their amps in "for the room" too. The brain will naturally compensate for their listening environment. Sometimes what sounds tinny on stage doesn't sound tinny through a mic, in the PA, or out in the crowd. If you have phase cancelation in a room, boosting those frequencies will just cancel harder. It's better to properly reference and adjust the brain rather than the rig.
 
LMFAO .... I thought those were hemorrhoid donuts ........ :rolleyes:
 
Those would get a lot browner a lot quicker.
was wondering why you would need two also ...... I thought maybe you had two butt holes ..... went to school with a guy that had two pee holes .... so I thought it might be possible
 
I would say that's a solid/noticeable upgrade but it depends on the use case

That's comparing closed to open back which is an entirely different style of headphone for a different purpose

The sonys are great for listening to music, probably get left in the dust for monitoring or mixing though

This might be a stupid question, but can I use these 990's with my iphone? Or do they need some kind of preamp or similar to work?
 
This might be a stupid question, but can I use these 990's with my iphone? Or do they need some kind of preamp or similar to work?
I have no idea, does your iPhone have a jack or is it Bluetooth only? I don't use apple products so I have no clue
 
This might be a stupid question, but can I use these 990's with my iphone? Or do they need some kind of preamp or similar to work?
Mine are the 250 ohm, so they work best with a dedicated headphone amp. The 80 ohm version should work, assuming you have the jack to plug them in.
 
Has a jack, and my Sony MDR work perfectly fine with it.

if it has a jack you should be good with just about anything

the sennheiser hd600s come with an 1/8" to quarter inch adapter and i assume the 990s do as well

if they dont just get an adapter
 
Mine are the 250 ohm, so they work best with a dedicated headphone amp. The 80 ohm version should work, assuming you have the jack to plug them in.

Ah I see. So I would probably need the Pro X version that slightly more expensive. Thanks
 

Similar threads

Back
Top