I don't care for Marshall's

anomaly

Ya, I said it, I don't care for Marshall's and their so called Kerrang, Jcm800's, 900's, DSL's, Plexi's, Jubilees etc..., none of them. They just don't suit my playing style I guess? Plus they have a sound that is far too common, i don't like to sound like everyone else out there. I suppose I have a different idea of what makes a good guitar tone. Am I alone with this thinking?

While I tend to gravitate towards Marshall based amps, I understand what you mean. It can sometimes be hard to find a tone in which you can call your own. Good thing there are so many good amps out these days.

More for me.
Depends on the Marshall.
You can have the Vietnam stuff.

Last edited:
Ya, I said it, I don't care for Marshall's and their so called Kerrang, Jcm800's, 900's, DSL's, Plexi's, Jubilees etc..., none of them. They just don't suit my playing style I guess? Plus they have a sound that is far too common, i don't like to sound like everyone else out there. I suppose I have a different idea of what makes a good guitar tone. Am I alone with this thinking?
What are your favorite amps? I know you like the Randall RGs; which is kinda funny since they are a copy of a Jose Marshall

96670707f8f97e9643133d1e43353a8fe62a93a0bfdcb2d3006cfdd1b8b2e7ee.jpg

LOL I came up on solid state amps.. When I 1st played a Marshall in probably 1986 I thought it was broken because of the sag and delayed response of EL34's..
That's why I gravitated to Boogie Marks because the pick attack is instant.
But I was never a Distortion Pedal guy. Fuck your latest horseshit Boost Pedal..
I always played amps that didn't need a boost to sound good..

LOL I came up on solid state amps.. When I 1st played a Marshall in probably 1986 I thought it was broken because of the sag and delayed response of EL34's..
That's why I gravitated to Boogie Marks because the pick attack is instant.
But I was never a Distortion Pedal guy. Fuck your latest horseshit Boost Pedal..
I always played amps that didn't need a boost to sound good..
My amps always sound good without a boost. But they sound even better with one. I like the upper mids/extra tightness.

Go away! Nobody likes you! but seriously, if you think you are not going to sound like everyone else you need to rethink playing guitar...period. There are only so many circuits and one player will dial them all in similarly in addition to the circuits being close to one another or essentially a copy of the Fender/Marshall schematic with some tweaks. Add post production and they will come out sounding like everything and everyone else nowadays anyway. It is like saying you don't want to speak english because everyone else speaks it.

For the record I think NMV Marshalls and the 2204/2203 are the best and I like to boost! Sometimes I even DOUBLE boost! Imagine that..

My amps always sound good without a boost. But they sound even better with one. I like the upper mids/extra tightness.
Yeah. Very few amps actually don't need a boost. You could play an RG without one...but why would you? Monomyth was only amp i played that truly did not need a boost. I know that these days, boost is a cussword for some, but honestly, it really opens up most amps.

What are your favorite amps? I know you like the Randall RGs; which is kinda funny since they are a copy of a Jose Marshall
I like the Boogie Mark series heads from IIC+ to IV's and I like those old Randall's, yes, and while they can sound damn close to a jcm800 if you want, they can also sound WAY different and super tight with a boost. Nothing is tighter sounding. It's gotta much more powerful EQ to it, so you can get some pretty aggressive tones if you want. Just check out some old Crowbar records to see what I mean about them sounding way different than just a Marshall type sound. They tune to B which is something that SS handles much better than tube IMO.

Yeah. Very few amps actually don't need a boost. You could play an RG without one...but why would you? Monomyth was only amp i played that truly did not need a boost. I know that these days, boost is a cussword for some, but honestly, it really opens up most amps.
I don't think the Mark series amps need a boost or sound better with one, it's like they already have a boost built in with the pre-gain EQ.

Go away! Nobody likes you! but seriously, if you think you are not going to sound like everyone else you need to rethink playing guitar...period. There are only so many circuits and one player will dial them all in similarly in addition to the circuits being close to one another or essentially a copy of the Fender/Marshall schematic with some tweaks. Add post production and they will come out sounding like everything and everyone else nowadays anyway. It is like saying you don't want to speak english because everyone else speaks it.

For the record I think NMV Marshalls and the 2204/2203 are the best and I like to boost! Sometimes I even DOUBLE boost! Imagine that..
Did Dimebag sound like anyone else?? Don't think so. He had the most original heavy tone at the time, the early 90's. There's alot you can do with your amp, the pickups in your guitar, and pedals, EQ's to come up with an original tone.

i think all fenders sound like ass and have never been impressed with a fender tone that wasn't live neil young

we all got shit we don't like

Back