I don't care for Marshall's

Yeah. Very few amps actually don't need a boost.
None of my amps need a boost. JVM, SigX and 5153. Sure, I get why guys use them but "for me" I don't need it. And just for the sake of it, I've done it to see if It can make my tones better, afterall why limit yourself if you can make something better. But they don't...."for me". In fact every amp I've owned starting back in the early 90's with the 5150, I've not used a OD/boost.

It's subjective IMO. If you like it, great. If you have to have one, again great. But to me it's totally up to the player.

I don't care for Marshall's​

Have you tried JCPenny or Sears?

o.jpg

Ya, I said it, I don't care for Marshall's and their so called Kerrang, Jcm800's, 900's, DSL's, Plexi's, Jubilees etc..., none of them. They just don't suit my playing style I guess? Plus they have a sound that is far too common, i don't like to sound like everyone else out there. I suppose I have a different idea of what makes a good guitar tone. Am I alone with this thinking?
Ditto

That's why Duncan donuts and Baskin Robbins rule. So many flavors are available,so why eat something you don't like?

Taste and opinion are subjective. I can't imagine any guy wanting to bang another dude while they both wear my little pony costumes....but Brony-con actually exists. These are the people I equate to those who love Krank amps. They should be on the FBI watch list.

I have run into many new-er Marshalls that sounded stiff, brittle, and had fizzy, solid-statey gain. I have also run into a few of the older (pre-reissue) ones that just sounded glorious - warm lows, full mids, clear, glassy highs. I think if Marshall has an Achilles heel, it’s just consistency. I used a pair of simul Mark-IIIs for all of my serious playing out years and I know the purists can tell a difference in the various colored stripe series Mesa Mark amps. But I never plugged into a Mark III and thought it sounded ‘bad.’

Short anecdote - in the very early 90s I was playing in a group that was on regular rotation at a club that had house backline and all but forbid bands from lugging amps on and off the stage. They had a pair of early 80s Marshall JCM800s - one on each side of the stage. I’ll never forget the first show I played plugged into that amp with a simple TS9 out front for leads. It just sounded H U G E ! String separation and articulation that my Mesas couldn’t match - but somehow not stiff or unforgiving or hard to play. I used to look forward to shows there cause I didn’t need to lug a head and cab and I know the sound would be incredible. That experience started my gravitation away from my Mesas and toward Splawn, which really seems to do it for me these days.
Well, the Mark III's are good but they aren't the best example of the Boogie Mark tone. Have you played thru a IIC+? Think a Mark III without the harshness (that's the one thing that made me switch to a IV) and they have a lot of string clarity and really nice touch sensitivity. I think the Mark IV's are similarily voiced, but they are definitely more compressed, either you like that or you don't, i do like my high gain tone fairly compressed, especially for leads. It's the tightness too, no Marshall is going to sound as tight as a Mark dialed in right.

I understand the appeal of a jcm800, but it's like the most common guitar sound you're ever gonna find. And then there are the clones that all sound like Marshall's, fuck, it never ends with that boring ass tone. The second most boring tone to me, is the Dual Rectifier, but luckily some people know how to make them sound kinda cool.

Last edited:
Keep in mind though people, there was a time when I thought the Marshall sound was cool. I don't know what was wrong with me?? I think it was just hearing the tone over and over again that made me hate it.

Go away! Nobody likes you! but seriously, if you think you are not going to sound like everyone else you need to rethink playing guitar...period. There are only so many circuits and one player will dial them all in similarly in addition to the circuits being close to one another or essentially a copy of the Fender/Marshall schematic with some tweaks. Add post production and they will come out sounding like everything and everyone else nowadays anyway. It is like saying you don't want to speak english because everyone else speaks it.

For the record I think NMV Marshalls and the 2204/2203 are the best and I like to boost! Sometimes I even DOUBLE boost! Imagine that..
I like me.

There are a lot of amps that sound different out there. Oranges for example. did someone mention Krank? Anyways, i like to boost too, on most amps. Cause most amps don't have the tightness I like without it.

I like to speak english,... with a canadian accent.

Its only seen as common because Marshalls have been the core of basically all the iconic "rock plus" guitar sounds of the last 50+ years.

Now if my options are that, or sound like John Petrucci... Sorry John.

Its only seen as common because Marshalls have been the core of basically all the iconic "rock plus" guitar sounds of the last 50+ years.

Now if my options are that, or sound like John Petrucci... Sorry John.
I'm not a big fan of Petrucci either, but he does have one of the best lead tones I've ever heard.

One of the best live tones I ever got was a Sansamp into a Mosvalve MV962 and into a Marshall 4x12 cab. People were looking for my Mesa tube amp they said.

I'm a Marshall guy but gotta admit I more like a modded Marshall tone, versus stock.

That's why Duncan donuts and Baskin Robbins rule. So many flavors are available,so why eat something you don't like?

Taste and opinion are subjective. I can't imagine any guy wanting to bang another dude while they both wear my little pony costumes....but Brony-con actually exists. These are the people I equate to those who love Krank amps. They should be on the FBI watch list.
:hys::hys::hys::hys::hys:

Ya know, I gotta admit this..I love a good Marshall, and my 72 Trem ain't going anywhere. But, for a modded Marshall tone, I'd play the Cam Jose I had, then I'd play the Rev F Triple...and the Triple out-marshalled the Marshall. Just sounded better the way I had the F dialed in, through either Marshall cab I have (65s or GBs)...than the modded Marshall. So I sold the Cam Jose.

I stick by my statement from years ago on HC, then Rig-Talk. The Cameron Modded Marshall Aldrich is the best tone I've ever heard for hard rock. I heard a Jose Mod and that was killer too. I guess I like that extra gain stage 🤘🤘🤘

I feel like what i like is the conversion of the cathode follower to gain stage and the second cathode follower driving the tone stack like the silver jubilee. I don't know if it is the actually clipping diodes or not. It would be interested to mod a jcm 800 to jubilee without the diodes just to find out.

Back