I have to take back some of the things I said about V30s...

Kelly":11hk48xn said:
From Steve Fryette, of Fryette (formerly VHT)...
*When you change the impedance rating of the speaker, you also change the inductance of the coil which changes the resonant frequency among other things. Also an 8 ohm speaker will be driven by the amp set at 8 ohms which lowers the amplifier impedance (compared to the 16 ohm setup), and thereby lowers the amplifier damping factor, which flattens out the system (amp plus cab system) frequency response and resonant behavior. So if you have 2 identical amps and 2 identical cabs - one cab loaded with 8 ohm speakers and amp set to 8 next to one loaded with 16 ohm speakers and amp set to 16, they will sound noticably different. The 16 ohm rig will usually sound brighter and deeper.

Source...http://www.fryette-users.com/forums/sho ... s-better...

Regarding this part, I've always wondered something. That applies when you're talking about 4x12 cabs, but what about the way a 2x12 is wired?
What is going to achieve that wider frequency/more resonant/brighter/deeper feel?
Two 8 ohm speakers wired in series for a 16 ohm load?
Or two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel for an 8 ohm load?
What is more important in the equation for a 2x12 cab...the individual speaker impedance, or the overall cab impedance?

djpatb":3arm311r said:
Kelly":3arm311r said:
From Steve Fryette, of Fryette (formerly VHT)...
*When you change the impedance rating of the speaker, you also change the inductance of the coil which changes the resonant frequency among other things. Also an 8 ohm speaker will be driven by the amp set at 8 ohms which lowers the amplifier impedance (compared to the 16 ohm setup), and thereby lowers the amplifier damping factor, which flattens out the system (amp plus cab system) frequency response and resonant behavior. So if you have 2 identical amps and 2 identical cabs - one cab loaded with 8 ohm speakers and amp set to 8 next to one loaded with 16 ohm speakers and amp set to 16, they will sound noticably different. The 16 ohm rig will usually sound brighter and deeper.

Source...http://www.fryette-users.com/forums/sho ... s-better...

Regarding this part, I've always wondered something. That applies when you're talking about 4x12 cabs, but what about the way a 2x12 is wired?
What is going to achieve that wider frequency/more resonant/brighter/deeper feel?
Two 8 ohm speakers wired in series for a 16 ohm load?
Or two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel for an 8 ohm load?
What is more important in the equation for a 2x12 cab...the individual speaker impedance, or the overall cab impedance?
overall impedance.

I have heard a lot better arguments for the actual speaker impedance making a lot more of a difference than the overall cabinet impedance. You use the output transformer to match the speaker impedance. The voicecoil of the speaker from 8 ohms, to 16 ohms uses a different gauge of wire, and number of turns which can result in a different mass to the coil. This is why some companies like eminence have a different frequency response graph, and spec sheet for the 8 ohm, and 16 ohm versions of the same speakers.

Wow, great info. I have also noticed that the Mesa V30's sound better than the chinese V30's. Better balance in the tone.

lester":26ry9eda said:
There's 5 versions -

T3903 Standard 8 ohm
T3904 Standard 16 ohm
T3987 Marshall OEM 16 ohm
T4416 Mesa OEM 16 ohm
T4335 Mesa OEM 8 ohm

Lots of amp companies had their own OEM V30 variations over the years. Matchless, Ampeg, off the top of my head. There's another Marshall variation from the Mode Four 280W cabs (aka Hellatone 60L, not the same as T3987).

Back