I love my Armageddon but I would like a little more bite

MR MARCUS

My Armageddon is pretty killer but it's a little too dark for me. My guitars are loaded with BKP Warpigs, cab is loaded with Greenbacks and V30's, and I'm boosting with a TS9. The amp is loaded with stock 6l6's biased at 35ma. Should I change something in my chain or should I mod? I know my way around a circuit and a schematic. Thanks!

I'd say get rid of the greenbacks and go all V30s in your cab. Also, why boost? The Armageddon isn't in need of one. It's got tons of gain on tap. Also, I'd take out the TS9. That pedal's circuit is going to add a lot of mids to your already mid-centric rig.

If you are dead set on boosting, I would use a clean boost instead.

MR MARCUS":163011as said:
I figured the greenback would need to go. I'm using the TS9 as a clean boost. I boost every amp.
Why do you boost every amp? A lot of high gain amps sound like shit when boosted.

Also, the TS9 doesn't really work as a clean boost. Its inherent EQ is going to color your amp tone significantly. You could try a Keeley Katana or Creation Audio Labs Mark 4.23 as a clean boost. But I expect even a clean boost wouldn't work well with an amp as hot as the Armageddon.

Couple things you could do .

change the power tubes from 6l6 to a 6Ca7 , E34 etc. if you choose to stay in the 6l6 family even the 5881 have more upper mid bite I noticed this when i play a PRS 6l6 Archon and the 25 watt 5881 one.think Soldano vs Mesa

the speakers a V30 or lynchback.

some preamp tubes i find brighter the Tung Sol especially in V1 or the first stage of the Drive .

You could also look at guitar pickups and ,Strings like the Cobalts are noticeably bright than Elixir or others..

If all else fails email Bruce and he will be able to tell you what parts to swap out

Back