I need drums, but have NO idea what I'm doing (found a kit)

RJF

I just finished building my studio, and well, no studio is complete without a drum set. I mean...am I right or what?

I also want to obviously learn how to play the drums too. My questions are:

1. I am looking at either Pearl or Tama, no other brands unless someone can convince me otherwise. I see some really cheap Pearl kits that are 4-500 bucks. Are these junk and not worth the money or decent kits? This is the kit that I would LIKE to buy because it's awesome, but maybe it's not right for a beginner. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EXX728DBC-21

2. Is it smart for a beginner to start out on a really simple kit or is a double bass kit linked above okay to start on with developing the skills to utilize it to it's potential as my skills progress?

3. If that answer is to keep it simple, how easy or is it worth expanding on one of the cheaper kits? Could I add more toms and a second kick for example? Or when that time comes should I just sell the small cheap kit and buy something else?

4. Tama seems to be a bit more pricey than Pearl and I don't see a double kick kit listed. Any reason why I should pick one brand over the other?

5. How much extra floor space does a double kick kit take over a single kick? Right now I have about a 9x9 square set aside of floor space for the drums.

6. Where should a new drummer start out on as far as self teaching? You Tube? Books that you recommend?

RJF":3njnkxq4 said:
I just finished building my studio, and well, no studio is complete without a drum set. I mean...am I right or what?

I also want to obviously learn how to play the drums too. My questions are:

1. I am looking at either Pearl or Tama, no other brands unless someone can convince me otherwise. I see some really cheap Pearl kits that are 4-500 bucks. Are these junk and not worth the money or decent kits? This is the kit that I would LIKE to buy because it's awesome, but maybe it's not right for a beginner. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EXX728DBC-21

There are low and high end drums sets from most brands just like guitars. I have owned a few kits and have heard several.

Export series is kind of like the $500-$600 Jackson. It is not super low end entry level but not high end by any means. Good solid middle of the road. With that said I have heard both Pearl and Tama and IMO a mid grade pearl sounds much better than a slightly higher end Tama. That is just my opinion and that is also regarding birch Tama's. I just do not think they are all that great, my drummer spent tons of coin on his and I have heard much cheaper kits with a better sound. But then again maybe it is just him lol.

So IMO in this instance I would go Pearl over Tama however I have also heard Gretsch and Sonar which are both contenders IMO. I would compare the mid grade Sonar to the Pearl but I would take the Gretsch over all. IDK what model this guy had that I jammed with but apart from a $3,500 DW kit these Gretsch drums were the best sounding drums I have heard.

Sorry for the long post but if you are looking to spend $1,300 on an Export series I would do more research and look around for something else. Just my opinion.

I also would say if you are ever going to use double bass get the full kit. Two kicks are better than a double bass pedal.

2. Is it smart for a beginner to start out on a really simple kit or is a double bass kit linked above okay to start on with developing the skills to utilize it to it's potential as my skills progress?

I say get the double bass BUT discipline yourself to practice with only one foot as well. I know guys who are beasts with the double kick but can't play a decent one kick beat to save their asses. Not very well rounded imo.

3. If that answer is to keep it simple, how easy or is it worth expanding on one of the cheaper kits? Could I add more toms and a second kick for example? Or when that time comes should I just sell the small cheap kit and buy something else?

If you go small you can always upgrade. Most kits have a large selection of Tom sizes and if you went with a rack you could fit more drums than you would ever even want more than likely.

4. Tama seems to be a bit more pricey than Pearl and I don't see a double kick kit listed. Any reason why I should pick one brand over the other?

Tough call, I am not a pro by any means but I have heard several kits and I highly prefer Pearl over Tama but you have to get decent quality shells, Good heads and learn how to tune them properly. Tuning is very important.

5. How much extra floor space does a double kick kit take over a single kick? Right now I have about a 9x9 square set aside of floor space for the drums.

Idk if I can help you here. It is more than double the space, maybe even close to triple vs having 1 kick. They are not going to be touching, you will need some space between them and IDK how tall you are and what not.

6. Where should a new drummer start out on as far as self teaching? You Tube? Books that you recommend?

You tube for sure but IMO, just like guitar you need to "go to the gym" your limbs are muscles and they need to be able to do what you want. You have to build your strength and speed and the timing will come. PRACTICE TO A CLICK!!

My favorite guitar video is exersizing. Speed kills volume 2. If you have seen it you know what I mean. So naturally my favorite Drum vids are in the same vein. Extreme Drumming 101 - Flo Mounier. Easily one of the best and most innovative drummers for extreme metal. It is basically a workout program and I highly recommend. Even if you dont like metal. I think I let me neighbor borrow it but hell if you want it shoot me a PM and ill try to dig it up.

Derrik Roddy and Kevin Tally I think also have instructional videos.

So my simple answer, for a beginner you will want to learn patterns. Rudiments and other tricks and fills. But also you will need to build you muscles up to be able to do these things tight and fast. Just like everything else, practice. Also, how and where you sit is kind of important. The video I mention covers this and he shows you how you must center your mass and use gravity to your advantage.

RJF":mwghrf58 said:
Thanks for the great response Maddnotez.

How about this kit? The rack is pulling me in.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/PDP/Double- ... r1#reviews

Just to confirm and FYI that is a shell pack meaning you only get the drums. The racks are probably $250 each and then cymbals and pedals. EDIT: My buddy was a manager at GC and must have hooked me up or prices went up. I just looked and it seems PDP racks are pushing $400 each. I would get the Pearl Export over the PDP kit based on that alone but the PDP shells may sound better. Could always buy a used rack.

The export looks like it comes with all drums and all hardware. It may be about the same price when it is all said and done.

I actually had the same (or 2005 equivalent) of those PDP drums. They did actually sound pretty decent but are also just the solid middle of the road drums. I would put them right there between the Tama and Pearl.

For me, I would get the PDP or Pearl over Tama but obviously I just do not like mid grade Tama :LOL: :LOL:

The best advice I can give is go to guitar center and beat on some drums to see which sounds best to you and go from there.

You would probably get much better info from drummer forums too fwiw.

I prefer rack over stands however a rack is apt to move more as there are only those 2 legs VS a heavy duty stand. The reason I like rack is for ease of use and lugging to gigs. If I had a studio kit that was never going to move I may actually prefer heavy duty stands. You can buy stands that will hold a couple of extra toms as well if you do get a small kit and want to add to it down the road.

Another thing to look into is Craigslist or used hardware. I have bought some very serious heavy duty stands for really cheap on there. Cymbals as well. Drums can be very expensive and with breaking sticks and cymbal cracks maintenance is much more $$$ than guitar.

Can't really think of anything else though. I like Pearl eliminators for pedals, My drummer uses Axis which are great but something about those Pearls were just amazing. It is all how you set it up.

You could take the same kit and make it so easy to play it almost plays itself or you could have it set up where it is hard to play. Just have to experiment.

IMO, if you know you will keep with it, and have the means to do so, starting off with a kit a level above the typical beginner kit is worth the while. I was in a similar situation about a year ago and ended up going with Mapex. I got a Mapex Armory 5 piece shell pack and chose to go with just a single kick with double kick pedal to save on space. Some of my drummer friends that have played it prefer it to their more expensive Pearl & Tama kits. Gretsch kits also sound great. I agree with sticking to using a single kick pedal at first to get the basics down before focusing too heavily on the double kick exercises.

The PDP kit you linked to is nice, but worth noting all the hardware is not included in that one as it is just a shell pack.

9x9 is fine. We had a riser that was 8x8 with a larger kit.

Youtube has awesome drum lessons. All you need.

If you plan on recording these drums, keep in mind the mic count and what you have available for an interface.

Yeah I would decide if you are going to record or just bash around on them...if you are recording and youll probably have a drummer come in and play them Id get something a bit better and not a set with the cymbals included those are terrible...id go used on the drums and get a better kit and used on cymbals too...you can get higher end stuff alot cheaper...id figure on at least $1500 for a kit and cymbals to start, and thats pretty cheap really just depends on what you are trying to do..

My plan is to learn how to play, and then possibly try and record down the road. I have zero recording equipment or experience and so that is further down the line.

then get a cheap kit with cymbals and all the hardware ..youll upgrade later trust me..

I bought 2 used Rogers kits that were the same color with different sized toms, a PDP rack (new) and Paiste Rude cymbals ( some new some CL ), I spent about $1800 bucks total, but I got American shells, pretty decent hardware and a lot of drums (3 mounted toms 12,13 and 14 inch) 2 floor toms (16 & 18), 24" kick, 2 COB Rogers snares (one Powertone one Dynasonic). Great kit.

Ludwig is the Marshall of drums get one used maple classic and have the bearing edges cut then find some some Paiste cymbals and get your Bonham on .

I wouldn't spend a whole lot just yet... I'd probably get a used Pearl/DW/Sonar/Ludwig on Craigslist and learn how to play first.

I've been drumming since about 10 years old so almost 35 years now and the kit I had for a long ass time I eventually hated it. After years of playing in rehearsal rooms, gigs and even recording on other people's kits I realized that I loved what they call short stack toms vs the longer power toms that I had. I started off playing with my toms angled sort of like Dave Lombardo from Slayer and now I like that shit flat as a table all the way across sort of like Stuart Copeland or the drummer from Machine Head with my cymbals low to. I could never do that with power toms with the standard Tama mounts.

So I wouldn't invest heavily until you figure out what you actually like as a drummer... Just my 2 cents.

My suggestion is to just buy an electronic kit. the roland td11 kit for a grand is great for the money. The e kit will help you learn while being able to control the volume during practice. You can plug the kit into a surround sound system if you don't want to buy an amp for them. I assume everyone has an old surround sound system in their basement haha.

Plus if you ever have to record them, just plug it directly into an interface and it eliminates all of the bullshit with positioning mic's. look at vids of the roland kits on youtube, they sound pretty awesome for what they are.

Just play along to music to learn how to separate your hands and feet. Start out simple with something like the first killswitch record then move on to some nile and meshuggah if your into that type of stuff.

Craigslist or Kijiji if you guys have that... so many people selling maple kits for less with cymbals. If in good condition, grab them. I still play my entry level rydeen yamaha kit. I had upgrades along the way and i know how to tune but with my ability to tune, I wish i had maple shells. That little extra tone and sustain makes for better recorded drums. You don't need to spend 2k. I bet for 5-800$ U.S you can get a mapex or other maple kit with cymbals.

Learning to play drums for the song can be as easy as listening to a metronome and staying in time (listen to old Judas Priest etc..) but if you really want to get into cool fills and such, you will have to devote a crap load of time to playing and your guitar skill will decline. That is what happened to me. ( and i still suck lol)

Big Rich":7qy3zm3v said:
My suggestion is to just buy an electronic kit. the roland td11 kit for a grand is great for the money. The e kit will help you learn while being able to control the volume during practice. You can plug the kit into a surround sound system if you don't want to buy an amp for them. I assume everyone has an old surround sound system in their basement haha.

Plus if you ever have to record them, just plug it directly into an interface and it eliminates all of the bullshit with positioning mic's. look at vids of the roland kits on youtube, they sound pretty awesome for what they are.

Just play along to music to learn how to separate your hands and feet. Start out simple with something like the first killswitch record then move on to some nile and meshuggah if your into that type of stuff.
I think I will stick with an acoustic kit because I partly want drums for their aesthetics, as bad as that might sound, but my studio is two fold as my guitar room and also my hang out room since I also have a full bar in it too. Something about a drum kit that just looks totally cool.

Kapo_Polenton":3kdua3n9 said:
Craigslist or Kijiji if you guys have that... so many people selling maple kits for less with cymbals. If in good condition, grab them. I still play my entry level rydeen yamaha kit. I had upgrades along the way and i know how to tune but with my ability to tune, I wish i had maple shells. That little extra tone and sustain makes for better recorded drums. You don't need to spend 2k. I bet for 5-800$ U.S you can get a mapex or other maple kit with cymbals.

Learning to play drums for the song can be as easy as listening to a metronome and staying in time (listen to old Judas Priest etc..) but if you really want to get into cool fills and such, you will have to devote a crap load of time to playing and your guitar skill will decline. That is what happened to me. ( and i still suck lol)
I think CL is my best bet at this point. As mentioned I could likely get a complete ready to play kit with decent quality for my money. Versus trying to piece together a kit myself new when I don't have a good idea what I need/want in the first place. Reminds me of a new player getting into guitar and having to choose what pickups and tubes to get when they don't have a clue on that stuff in the first place. Some things you just learn as you go. I'm sure if I'm patient a great kit will float by on CL for a good deal. Drums are good about that, when people loose interest a big drum set can quickly get in their way big time. :yes:

MKibanez":9xds75qv said:
Don't waste too much money if you start, I MP you!
Thanks. Recording is still a ways away for me, especially recording my own drums. I'll probably go EZ drummer before drum recording, at least at first.

Craigslist some shells and spend the left over cash on quality hardware and cymbals. Make sure to get nice new heads and learn to tune them properly. There's no need for a double kick set in your situation. Get a good double pedal and be done with it. I've stopped playing a full double kick kit entirely. Double pedals are much better than they used to be, and the sound difference is minimal at best.

These days, cheap shells can be made to sound quite good with quality heads and proper tuning. A bit of muting here and there is very helpful, just keep it to a minimum. The most important part is high-quality cymbals and hardware. You don't want hardware that falls apart or falls over when you get going, kick pedals you have to fight to play with, etc.. You can't really do anything to make a shitty cymbal sound good unless you're prepared to break out (and own) a lathe.

I've got 2 vintage kits currently. A mid 70s Fibes fiberglass kit, and a 60's Japanese Pearl "stencil" jazz kit. I redid some of the bearing edges on the Pearl kit, and it's sounding great now. They had poorly cut edges to begin with. Time and poor handling only made it worse. I picked that kit up for free on the side of the road about 5 months ago. I was on the way to my local pawn shop to buy some hand percussion for a last minute gig, and found an awesome kit on the way. Crazy!

Back