I plugged into my 6505+ yesterday and this is what I noticed..

Metalhex

I've been using my Bluguitar Amp1 Iridium for the past months. I love it. It sounds great. It does sound and "feel" tube-like to me.

My 6505+ has been sitting there for about a year so I decide to fire it up. I immediately noticed, it has this fuzzy, hairy texture on the lead channel for chugs. I wouldn't call it fizzy, but fuzzy.....and hairy. Not annoying or unpleasant, but it's there; some may argue it helps cut through a mix....I don't know! fwiw I didn't mess with the dials, I just used it how I left it last. Not too trebley. I'd say it was boomier and bassier than the Iridium but again that could've been how I had it dialed.

One of these days I want to record some clips for RT. I just have to get my lazy ass down in the significantly colder basement.

I've no clips now but I just wanted to share my initial thoughts about that!

you wont hear the fizz over cymbals
True. Plus it's not bothersome to me...but I just wanted to point out that difference. That being said, I really can't wait for the AmpX to come out I'm super interested in that....especially for playing live it'd be a no brainer for me.

Put an EQ in the loop and crank it up!

Anytime someone says a peavey is fuzzy immediately tells me they aren’t cranking it. The 5150 II and 5150 have so much preamp gain that they sound fuzzy at low volumes. That character goes completely away when the amp is cranked.

Make no mistake the 5150 series is NOT a bedroom amplifier and was made and voiced to be played loud. Anyone that complains of fuzz is not playing them loud enough regardless of speaker.

Anytime someone says a peavey is fuzzy immediately tells me they aren’t cranking it. The 5150 II and 5150 have so much preamp gain that they sound fuzzy at low volumes. That character goes completely away when the amp is cranked.

Make no mistake the 5150 series is NOT a bedroom amplifier and was made and voiced to be played loud. Anyone that complains of fuzz is not playing them loud enough regardless of speaker.
I didn't crank it was probably at 2. Again, I'm not complaining about it. Just noticed the immediate difference at the same perceived volume between the two amps

Are you boosting it and what are your settings ? When is the last time you changed the tubes
Bad monkey overdrive with the "typical" settings. Tubes was like probably 5 years ago or so though I haven't played it much at all in that time.

I normally don’t set the gain on lead channel higher than 4 when boosting. If you set it at 3 it’s really clear and less fizzy. I don’t set the bass or resonance higher than 6 or it starts to get wooly. Presence is your friend. I notice some guys set the presence low but I notice higher settings give a clearer and more defined sound.

I've been using my Bluguitar Amp1 Iridium for the past months. I love it. It sounds great. It does sound and "feel" tube-like to me.

My 6505+ has been sitting there for about a year so I decide to fire it up. I immediately noticed, it has this fuzzy, hairy texture on the lead channel for chugs. I wouldn't call it fizzy, but fuzzy.....and hairy. Not annoying or unpleasant, but it's there; some may argue it helps cut through a mix....I don't know! fwiw I didn't mess with the dials, I just used it how I left it last. Not too trebley. I'd say it was boomier and bassier than the Iridium but again that could've been how I had it dialed.

One of these days I want to record some clips for RT. I just have to get my lazy ass down in the significantly colder basement.

I've no clips now but I just wanted to share my initial thoughts about that!
Cheap glass and underbias was the bane of my existence. Your amp, stock, has both.

Anytime someone says a peavey is fuzzy immediately tells me they aren’t cranking it.

That helps with overbias, but you can't dial that grey buzz out of cheap glass no matter how loud it is. It's part of its character.

I normally don’t set the gain on lead channel higher than 4 when boosting. If you set it at 3 it’s really clear and less fizzy. I don’t set the bass or resonance higher than 6 or it starts to get wooly. Presence is your friend. I notice some guys set the presence low but I notice higher settings give a clearer and more defined sound.
My Valveking doesn't have this inherent fuzz with the same settings. I really need to by the a/b/y switch I was looking at but they're on order

The 6505+ has a bias adjustment , I set mine to max and it gets the power tubes close to where they should be.

That helps with overbias, but you can't dial that grey buzz out of cheap glass no matter how loud it is. It's part of its character.
Correction, it’s part of the stock character. Bias mod, good glass, adding a choke, and Upgrading the OT really helped clear it up further but you still have to crank on it at obscene levels, 3-4 on the volume. It’s why I keep mine around and also why it doesn’t get much playtime.

Correction, it’s part of the stock character. Bias mod, good glass, adding a choke, and Upgrading the OT really helped clear it up further but you still have to crank on it at obscene levels, 3-4 on the volume. It’s why I keep mine around and also why it doesn’t get much playtime.
Love it!

Back