Insomnia / odd sleep patterns - anyone else?

Ha! Thanks Stoivo. :LOL:

Yeah, I hear ya mooncobra; that fits with what I've heard. Thanks mate.

Might be tricky to find someone local 'cause I don't have transport. Repeated visits and all that. Plus, I'm being forced to move and don't know where I'll end up; my fate is in the stars, so to speak, but I'm not gonna forget to give this a big look-in. Thanks again mate.
I have friends who went to their general practitioner to try and get a referral for an endocrinologist. But they have younger doctors not far out of med school who are up to date with all the new information on T. Their regular doctors ram blood work and if they were low, they were given T. The doctors said that these days a lot of doctors are up to date and unless you have other underlying conditions you don’t even have to go to an endocrinologist. I told a handful of friends about my situation and guys who felt off, tired, slept really bad, or had no more libido at just 45 went and inquired about it and a couple ended up having pretty low T levels. Their docs bring their bay levels up to what their level would have been at if they were 30 and healthy. They are now doing really well. They actually look younger and feel great. It wasn’t u til I was around someone on a regular basis that I noticed their physical appearance change as well.

Even if you are not mobile, and you have a good doctor, you might only have to go in a couple times the first month, and after that, if your T dosage is dialed in properly, you go in just once every 6 months for a check in and blood work.

I remember the nights of tossing and turning, desperately waiting to be overcome by an egregious form of slumber, knowing I would wake a couple times over the 3 to 4 hours of miserable and poor sleep. Then guzzling coffee the first few hours of my day. And then, mid day, having a couple more intensely strong cups of coffee. Yet my tolerance was high, so I felt nothing from the coffee except a mild alertness. I would stop caffeine mid day in hopes of quickly falling asleep. Of course that didn’t happen.

As I cluelessly entered the realm of androgyny boy, I became more irritable, beyond fatigued, and my libido vanished into thin air one day. I was so tired and run down I didn’t even notice. As I continued my journey into becoming a shapeless, sexless creature, I glimpsed myself in the mirror and when I did, I was offended by my own reflection. I had become physically offensive.

All I had left was misery, and a bright spot. Guitar. It was my saving grace as it was the one thing that always made me feel better and cheered me up. Without it, oh man, I don’t even want to think about the possible outcome in the life of mooncobra.

When I started T, things quickly started becoming much better. An elevated mood was so needed and I felt so much better mentally.

Bro, life is too short not to try every possible course correction. I’ve noticed the older you get, the faster time passes. Remember being a kid and looking back at your life? It seemed as if you’d been alive for a VERY LONG TIME!! But hey, remember being 20 or 25 and looking back and thinking, “wow, life is passing by pretty quickly!” And then at 30 or 35, you thought, or I did at least, “holy Mary mother of Christ!!!!!!!!!! But LIFE IS PASSING WAY TOO QUICKLY!!!!!” And when I hit 40, forget about it, that was straight up stress inducing. I was floored at how fast life was passing. So I went I for my T tests and learned I was on the road to becoming androgyny boy and I was pissed.

I even remember uttering to myself, “WHY ME???!” Yes, I actually used the eternal cry of the loser, so eloquently pointed out to me in my youth by my father. I remember thinking, “the eternal cry of the loser sounds really bad! I no longer wish to say such things! I must earn the respect of father! Wait! am I a loser?” Then quickly pulling back from the precipice of the shame spiral.

On top of realizing that life was flying by, and the older I got the faster it passed, I also realized that it was nothing short of a miracle that I was ever born in the first place. So, I had to do whatever was necessary to maximize the quality of my life.

Life is short and it passes way too quickly.

Ashwagandha. < I found the perfect solution for not only sleep, but stress, and other things too. Also it does not keep you drowsy when you wake.

You obviously are visited by the Soccubi.
giphy.gif

I totally relate to the insomnia and odd sleep patterns. I have similar struggles with staying awake at night and sleeping too long the next day when I finally do fall asleep.

I totally understand the struggles of dealing with sleep issues and low energy levels. I'm glad your friends were able to get the help they needed to feel better. It's amazing how much of a difference hormone levels can make in our overall well-being. Speaking of sleep, I recently got a mattress cooling system and it has been a game-changer for my sleep quality. I used to toss and turn all night, but now I wake up feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the day. It's interesting how little things like temperature control can have such a big impact on our sleep.

Last edited:
2 x allergy tabs + 12mg melatonin an hour before bed.
Trying to consistantly get a good night's sleep after quitting booze was a nightmare.

Only nighttime issues these days is very large older dogs who can't hold it anymore.

Last edited:
Focus on controlling your breathing. Deep, slow breathing. Essentially, force your heart rate down.

Yeah I've had sleep problems.

1). Make sure you're getting physical exercise every day, or at least every other.
2). Take a look at medications you take. Meds I used to take for blood pressure, made it where I couldn't sleep for shit.
3). No caffeine after 10am, or meth, or cocaine if that's your thing 😆
4). Lay off alcohol if you're a drinker.
5.) Stay off the inter webs at night, you need to be winding down, not thinking too much. Watch some stupid sitcom to turn your mind off.
Yes! I had a round with #2; taking 4 meds and took them all after my evening meal and after weeks of little sleep I read all the info in detail and the blood pressure drug stated “do not take before bedtime “, that helped.
Along with chamomile tea and a melatonin, not bad now.

2 x allergy tabs + 12mg melatonin an hour before bed.
Trying to consistantly get a good night's sleep after quitting booze was a nightmare.

Only nighttime issues these days is very large older dogs who can't hold it anymore.
Not a Dr but will play as a 30 yr CICU RN-- Antihistamines will raise your BP and Heart rate and make you irritable and shaky. poor choice as a sleep aid IMO 10mg is the max rec. dose of melatonin. High doses lead to side effects including bladder control loss- ie wetting the bed. Are you one of the large older Dogs? I get up early- 7am and go to bed by 10-11. One half a tab of Unisom (doxylamine) works great for me if I need it. Try Unisom and eliminate the antihistamines unless you are hell bent on killing yourself.

Not a Dr but will play as a 30 yr CICU RN-- Antihistamines will raise your BP and Heart rate and make you irritable and shaky. poor choice as a sleep aid IMO 10mg is the max rec. dose of melatonin. High doses lead to side effects including bladder control loss- ie wetting the bed. Are you one of the large older Dogs? I get up early- 7am and go to bed by 10-11. One half a tab of Unisom (doxylamine) works great for me if I need it. Try Unisom and eliminate the antihistamines unless you are hell bent on killing yourself.
Doxylamine
Doxylamine, sold under the brand name Unisom among others, is an antihistamine medication which is used in the treatment of insomnia and allergies.

Not a Dr but will play as a 30 yr CICU RN

Appreciate the feedback. I'm 62 and only 4 years removed from a 3 decade bout of addiction with booze.
It took lot's of consulting with my doc to try and work through sleep issues the first dry year.

Tried so many different things and got to the point of balancing which is better/worse; the pills or terrible sleep.
I wouldn't be doing this 20 years ago but at this stage it works and I need the sleep.

Last edited:
Doxylamine
Doxylamine, sold under the brand name Unisom among others, is an antihistamine medication which is used in the treatment of insomnia and allergies.
I know that but a different med and how the body responds- way different side effects- look it up- but ya, it is an antihistamine.

Reactions: ccn
I have taken both . Both work good but Dihpenhydramine as most know is Benadryl . I have tried Melatonin but I think I took more than recommended and I noticed zero benefit . Supposedly lowering the dose works better.

I wish Ambien was over the counter , it worked great the one time I tried it . The only sure thing that I know works is just wearing yourself out physically by running a few miles or whatever .

Yes! I had a round with #2; taking 4 meds and took them all after my evening meal and after weeks of little sleep I read all the info in detail and the blood pressure drug stated “do not take before bedtime “, that helped.
Along with chamomile tea and a melatonin, not bad now.

I've been taking Ashwagandha, it's really damn good. Like a natural Xanax.

Back