Is the Atomic CLR really worth the price??

Lord Toneking

So I just got an AX8 and trying to lighten my load. I just can't handle lugging amps, cabs, pedalboards, etc to shows anymore.

I've been using a JBL eon powered speaker with the AX8 and I can't say that I'm thrilled with the results. The AX8 in itself is pretty amazing, but this speaker isn't helping it sound as good as I feel it could

So, for those of you with the atomic wedges, are they worth the kind of cash that they're asking? They cost a lot of money and I want to be sure and have some input from other users. I've checked the Friedman cab, but that thing looks like a monster and defeats the purpose of me trying to 'downsize' and go light

Thanks

I just went through this with the AX8 also. I was running it thru FX return of a Mark V:25 head and a Mesa 1x12 with speaker sim off and it sounded killer. I could not see paying a grand for a speaker like the CLR. Felt the same as you about the friedman.I picked up an EV ZLX12P for about $340 and it sounds great. For that price I could pick up another up down the road and run stereo. You should be able to pick one up at GC, try it out and if it doesn't work try something else.
The thing is it looks and feels kinda weird with a little monitor behind you. I did like my Mesa setup in that regard, it's more like a traditional look/feel with all the flexibility of the AX.

I've used a Yamaha DXR10, Fridman ASM-12, and an Atomic CLR (non-neo) with my Kemper and I have only kept the Atomic.

I too was trying to downsize my rig, so that is why I got rid of the Friedman. Comparing the Atomic to the Yamaha, the Atomic just has that little extra that makes it better for me. The Yamaha is no slouch either and it is a great option especially at the price you can get them at.

I use the CLR with my Kemper and I love the thing. Honestly, it makes profiles I don't like direct sound phenomenal.

Steve

I use an ISP Theta Pro DSP into their Stealth poweramp and into a Marshall 2x12 and it sounds amazing and a nice light rig. ISP just introduced their own wedge type speaker (Vector FS) but it's super pricey and I just like a regular cab better.

It also depends how you are using it. Are you running AX8 to FOH? If so your monitor is basically used as well, a monitor, for you and the band to hear on stage. Does paying twice as much or more for a possible marginal increase in tone make sense? Most of the crowd is hearing what is coming through FOH. Most bands are used to shitty house monitors anyway. As long as your monitor is flat and not colored to much so it matches what is coming from FOH it should be sufficeint.
On the other hand if all your using is your monitor for your sound it may pay to have the best you can get.

BrokenFusion":2usyxjhr said:
It also depends how you are using it. Are you running AX8 to FOH? If so your monitor is basically used as well, a monitor, for you and the band to hear on stage. Does paying twice as much or more for a possible marginal increase in tone make sense? Most of the crowd is hearing what is coming through FOH. Most bands are used to shitty house monitors anyway. As long as your monitor is flat and not colored to much so it matches what is coming from FOH it should be sufficeint.
On the other hand if all your using is your monitor for your sound it may pay to have the best you can get.
I run mono, AX8 (R) to my monitor and (L) to FOH. I was using the JBL as my monitor and have it side by side with the house monitor (vocals only..sometimes a tiny bit of the other guitarist)

With it behind me it seemed lost in the mix. But in front it was too much 'in my face' and had some feedback issues...not bad, but on the verge. Ideally I want to hear my sound from behind like I've been used to for many years. Though the JBL works, I need to have the "Wow!" factor or I'm gonna go back to lugging amps and cabs

Hoping the atomic CLR will improve things in a major way

Here's basically what I have...

The XiTone line is phenomenal as well. The Friedman ASM12 is pretty great too. Definitely has the thump of a cab. But I love the XiTone's. I run stereo direct to FOH from Out 1 and then stereo from Out 2 to two XiTone's. I love them. Light and loud. Really can't go wrong with either Atomic or XiTone.

i got no dog in this hunt but it is an interesting topic as i was in that zone for a while

i did a slightly unorthodox blend with my axefx of an EV sxa-100 powered wedge, which i bought at a pawn shop for like $100 because the mic input was intermittent but i just used the line in,

and a tech 21 power engine with a scumback speaker retrofit, which is mandatory if you are interested in the power engine for any reason.

the EV frfr provided all the sonic dynamic range of the device so the effects performed at their best, and as a lower wattage powered wedge, it could be pushed to where the speaker was actually engaging, unlike many higher wattage wedges. i tried several others including a $5000 turbosound PA wedge, a QSC K12, an EAW LA212, and even mackie and m audio studio monitors on stage.

and the tech 21 was an actual guitar speaker so you lost some hifi range, but at 60 watts into a great speaker, it rebounded and behaved like a guitar amp which the EV missed. the eqs on that thing are barely useable, but it helps a little. made me envious of the guys who hung onto their mesa simul-satellite powered speakers.

and the final beauty is both ev and tech21 had xlr line outs/throughs to send to house....

I haven't read all the posts - but I'm the owner of 2 Active CLR wedges and they are hands down fkn awesome. I use them as monitors, I use them to run my SD2.0 drums through to jam along with, I use them for everything. 500W a piece, they're clear - they're super well made - and their customer service is golden. Tom makes some fantastic gear and he's a delight to work with.

So ya, CLRs are asskicking monitors - whether you're modelling or monitoring - the punch and clarity is ace.

Peace
Mo

I have 2 CLR monitors, the cubes, not the wedges. I used them with my Kemper lunchbox at a relatively small backyard party. Put each one on a stand about 4 feet high, one on either side of the stage (my buddies pool deck. We had a small PA, so that was dedicated to just vocals, no mic'ing of drums or anything else; the PA couldn't handle all that. It was definitely an old school garage band type set up like we used to do in the old days when funds were tight and your amp was all you and the your band as well as the crowd were going to hear.
Long story short, I got so many compliments on my sound that night, it really caught me by surprise. The crowd heard every instrument really clearly, and so did the band. It was a lot of fun to just set up in 10 minutes and blast through a set in a backyard BBQ party type setting like I used to back in high school. The CLR Cubes rocked. Only problem was, after we were done, I broke down my gear and put it over in the corner of the patio. Boozed up for about another hour or 2. When it came time to load up, someone had stole my super nice hydraulic speaker stands. Fuck!!! :doh: :gethim:

The XiTone line is phenomenal as well. The Friedman ASM12 is pretty great too. Definitely has the thump of a cab. But I love the XiTone's. I run stereo direct to FOH from Out 1 and then stereo from Out 2 to two XiTone's. I love them. Light and loud. Really can't go wrong with either Atomic or XiTone.
Are you still using these and loving them? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a couple wedges.

Generally you get what you pay for with FRFR speakers and studio type monitors. The ELectro-Voice wedge are really excellent at a good price. I started off with them and they were great.

If cash is the issue, I’d recommend to try the EV monitors.

Love these as a lower volume solution. Single full range driver (like a guitar cabinet), i.e.; NO TWEETER!!!!

swp5.png

Pair of these on a desk or console would kick ass.

I've had passives and actives. I've had the CLR, Xitone, and Headrush. To me the CLR sounded better, but there was no thump at all. The xitones sound very good and the thump is better than the rest I've had. The headrush 12 sounds surprisingly good for the $. More thump than the clr, but less than the xitone.

FWIW - I'm selling a pair of passive xitones right now. I've used these with a matrix power amp and an isp stealth. Sounds great with both, but I passives aren't as handy if you're playing out.

I had the Xitone wedge, and it was great, and loved the flexibility and build quality. The only issue I had was it wouldn't keep up with the pounding drummer I was playing with, so I went to QSC k10.2 on its side like a wedge, and couldn't be happier. I also have the k12.2s for the PA, and my FM3 just sounds right through those with minimal tweaking.

I use two Mesa Thiele 1x12’s loaded with Celestion F12-X200 speakers. I had to close off the ports since they threw lots of low end.

Are CLR's worth it? In a word... yes. Absolutely. I have two and they're incredible at what they do.

The only thing I can say against them is that if you were to use them exclusively in a full range setup, they do benefit from adding a sub as they don't have a whole lot going on below 70 Hz. However, as guitar monitors, they are excellent. There's not a whole lot of guitar info that's supposed to be going on lower than that anyway.

They are good enough to be used as studio monitors and when I have set them up that way, they do sit right alongside my JBL LSR308's and actually sound a bit better overall. However there's just a tiny bit more white noise with the CLR's so for ultra-quiet listening the JBL's are more preferable, but for anything else the CLR's win.

The CLR's are as accurate as studio monitors and they can get as loud as your band. They're pretty brilliant.

Back