Is this SRV strat Brazilian rosewood?

RedPlated

I just picked up a second SRV strat. I already had a 92’, but it is a later, November production with a Pau Ferro board. The second one is also a 92, but it’s a very, very early March production, putting it in the date range of the few Brazilian board SRV’s made.

This earlier SRV wasn’t advertised as Brazilian, but I felt it was likely it would be based on the date and pics. After examining it upon arrival, it does appear to be Brazilian. I’m about 99% sure. Especially when comparing it to my Pau Ferro board SRV. The board is way darker, has the traditional Brazilian streaks and the open pores and “splits” in the wood. Pau Ferro is much tighter grained. I have a couple HM Les Pauls with Brazilian boards but they’re way darker, almost ebony-like.

Here are some pics comparing the two. Let me know what you guys think...

Brazilian on left:

PyPBwkcl.jpg

ZFpmikCl.jpg

4PNcCgHl.jpg

ubGvnbxl.jpg

xyvaJ6il.jpg

No way to tell, I had a "questionable" Brazilian early SRV and wish I kept it, traded it for a reissue Fish. I had taken it to so many "experts" and due to variation of rosewood and Pau Ferrro it will be virtually impossible to just visually tell. I think you would have to somehow pay for a sample to be tested in a lab and I don't know if that's even possible yet...

The wood being super figured doesnt really tell you the fb is Brazilian or not, my Schecter Trad is plain rosewood and just as figured. Usually Braz is very brown-reddish

Yeah this one has a lot of brown/red in person. Hard to capture in photos. Fender only used Brazilian rosewood on the early ones, no Indian or other type. I’m convinced it isn’t Pau Ferro. Different grain pattern, color and it has the open pore splits that Pau Ferro doesn’t have.

It does look a bit light to be Brazilian, but those split pores are usually something that is very characteristic of Brazilian. I have a first year PRS Eagle that has a solid Brazilian neck on it, and it has those split pores all over it. I'm leaning towards yes

Not all Brazilian rosewood is super dark. There are plenty of them out there on the “lighter” side. Most Les Pauls you see with them are darker, I know mine are. If you Google search Brazilian boards, you’ll see some that are fairly light.

Here’s a verified Brazilian SRV that was built a week or two after mine, making it even more likely this is Brazilian. It appears to be a similar shade of darkness. The lighting in his pics is probably darker though. Only the first 50-100 SRV’s were Brazilian.

You’ll also see those tell-tale splits in the board.

https://www.eddievegas.com/store/details/1992-Brazilian-SRV-FENDER-STRATOCASTER.-BEYOND-RARE.php

Not all Brazilian rosewood is super dark. There are plenty of them out there on the “lighter” side. Most Les Pauls you see with them are darker, I know mine are. If you Google search Brazilian boards, you’ll see some that are fairly light.

Here’s a verified Brazilian SRV that was built a week or two after mine, making it even more likely this is Brazilian. It appears to be a similar shade of darkness. The lighting in his pics is probably darker though. Only the first 50-100 SRV’s were Brazilian.

You’ll also see those tell-tale splits in the board.

https://www.eddievegas.com/store/details/1992-Brazilian-SRV-FENDER-STRATOCASTER.-BEYOND-RARE.php
All SRV Strats sold as having Brazilian have been sold fraudulently. I have never seen one that looks like the Brazilian pores neither have I seen any verification from Fender that they ever made SRV's with Brazilian. I have some vintage Fenders, Gibsons and later CS ones with verified Brazilian. You can't trust Eddie Vegas or his presumably drunk or corrupt luthier mates. His supposed verified Brazilian looks close to the swirls to Braz stump wood but again lacks the correct shape and number and type of pores that real Brazilian has. The one you sold was also sold fraudulently.

Last edited:
All SRV Strats sold as having Brazilian have been sold fraudulently. I have never seen anyone that looks like the Brazilian pores neither have I seen any verification from Fender that they ever made SRV's with Brazilian. I have some vintage Fenders, Gibsons and later CS ones with verified Brazilian. You can't trust Eddie Vegas or his presumable drunk or corrupt luthier mates. His supposed verified Brazilian looks closed swirls to Braz stump wood but again lacks the correct shape and number or pores that real Brazilian has. The one you sold was also sold fraudulently.
The one I sold? I didn't sell one...

All SRV Strats sold as having Brazilian have been sold fraudulently. I have never seen one that looks like the Brazilian pores neither have I seen any verification from Fender that they ever made SRV's with Brazilian. I have some vintage Fenders, Gibsons and later CS ones with verified Brazilian. You can't trust Eddie Vegas or his presumably drunk or corrupt luthier mates. His supposed verified Brazilian looks close to the swirls to Braz stump wood but again lacks the correct shape and number and type of pores that real Brazilian has. The one you sold was also sold fraudulently.
Coming in here and accusing an established member of fraud is no way to start off your RT stay.
Better have some real proof before you do that.

Coming in here and accusing an established member of fraud is no way to start off your RT stay.
Better have some real proof before you do that.
He says he didn't sell one..... though looks like he may have been setting one up for sale later.... "99% sure"... no one says that without an agenda to sell later for double price. Otherwise why would you?

And yeah think about it? Brazilian Rosewood is very rare and requires RECORDS by the luthier and is expensive. A small or large luthier doesn't go accidentally with no record putting hundreds of Braz boards on guitars with no records and no upcharge the whole thing is ludicrous AND fraudulent! Not one original regular run SRV Strat ever was made with Brazilian Rosewood. It's a fact! Fender did make some Strats with Braz but those were well documented, cost more and were NOT SRVs except for the real No.1 and maybe the rare custom order SRV CS. Those that have said otherwise either stood to make thousands of dollars or were associates of those who would make thousands. Duh!

You better have proof from the manufacturer that it is Brazilian Rosewood before you present it for possible sale otherwise it is in fact conspiracy to commit fraud. I don't have to prove anything.

Last edited:
My buddy had one it was okay but basically a $500 Strat w/a fat neck & backwards trem. The pickups were pretty crappy for a sig guitar.

Bought a custom shop 57 that had "JOHN CRUZ"!!!!!! custom wound pups.
They were out within a week and replaced with Lollars. :LOL:

Last edited:
He says he didn't sell one..... though looks like he may have been setting one up for sale later.... "99% sure"... no one says that without an agenda to sell later for double price. Otherwise why would you?

And yeah think about it? Brazilian Rosewood is very rare and requires RECORDS by the luthier and is expensive. A small or large luthier doesn't go accidentally with no record putting hundreds of Braz boards on guitars with no records and no upcharge the whole thing is ludicrous AND fraudulent! Not one original regular run SRV Strat ever was made with Brazilian Rosewood. It's a fact! Fender did make some Strats with Braz but those were well documented, cost more and were NOT SRVs except for the real No.1 and maybe the rare custom order SRV CS. Those that have said otherwise either stood to make thousands of dollars or were associates of those who would make thousands. Duh!

You better have proof from the manufacturer that it is Brazilian Rosewood before you present it for possible sale otherwise it is in fact conspiracy to commit fraud. I don't have to prove anything
Obviously a troll…

Last edited:
Back