Is this SRV strat Brazilian rosewood?

He says he didn't sell one..... though looks like he may have been setting one up for sale later.... "99% sure"... no one says that without an agenda to sell later for double price. Otherwise why would you?

And yeah think about it? Brazilian Rosewood is very rare and requires RECORDS by the luthier and is expensive. A small or large luthier doesn't go accidentally with no record putting hundreds of Braz boards on guitars with no records and no upcharge the whole thing is ludicrous AND fraudulent! Not one original regular run SRV Strat ever was made with Brazilian Rosewood. It's a fact! Fender did make some Strats with Braz but those were well documented, cost more and were NOT SRVs except for the real No.1 and maybe the rare custom order SRV CS. Those that have said otherwise either stood to make thousands of dollars or were associates of those who would make thousands. Duh!

You better have proof from the manufacturer that it is Brazilian Rosewood before you present it for possible sale otherwise it is in fact conspiracy to commit fraud. I don't have to prove anything.
?????
What you are doing is ‘assuming’ that he was setting it up for sale. That will usually happen with a new member, talking about his ‘rare’ piece and accompanied by a ‘what do you think it’s worth?’ question…which never happened. You seem to have some kind of agenda here, regarding this guitar….this isn’t the forum that usually sees this piece anyway. This is the land of high gain players…not SRV gear heads.
Did someone rip you off? Take it up with them.

Here is closeup pic of my 2003 R8 Les Paul with Brazilian rosewood. I got it in 2004. It’s been refretted since my shit gets played and not stared at while hanging on a wall. 🤣
1627152218375.png

Obviously a troll…
Rubbish.
Actually, I started working as a luthier in 1986 and I have traded in rare guitars since I was 17 and I am sick of the bullshit of people on this standard production run guitar.
You can call me names but that doesn't dismiss the facts.

Yeah, the accusations are so absurd, it's obvious he's looking for a reaction. This thread is two years old. And he signs up yesterday to post this.
More rubbish. There is another guy in my area trying to palm off a Pau Ferro SRV Strat as Brazilian so I did a google search looking for where people get material to substantiate their delusion and found this thread. I registered and posted my understanding and experience. Maybe the delusion is honest but it is stoked by the lust for $$$ or at least increased value of their guitar. Everyone likes a good deal but when it ends being a bad deal for a buyer down the track well that's another story.

There is NOTHINg absurd about what I wrote. What is absurd is people palming Pau Ferro off as Brazilian with zero evidence from the actual manufacturer!

Last edited:
Here is closeup pic of my 2003 R8 Les Paul with Brazilian rosewood. I got it in 2004. It’s been refretted since my shit gets played and not stared at while hanging on a wall. 🤣
View attachment 84514
Even for luthiers just from pictures or even smell if you have it in hand it is difficult to be 100% sure. Smell you would need to take some shavings and burn it to be 100%. This fingerboard you can't tell for sure it's Brazilian from the looks. There is no 100% tells here. Some Braz does display solid tells. However, Gibson (as Fender do) keeps records and they are particularly fastidious about Brazilian records from 1990 on when flora and fauna protection increased. Gibson releases serial numbers for the 2001, 2003 & 2002 guitars that got Brazilian. There are LOTs of guys that have 2003 Les Pauls with colourful Indian rosewood boards that try and palm them off as Brazilian too. It's very clear though if the guitar is legit and has a confirmed Brazilian serial number then it IS Brazilian. These are the only guitars that have increased value. Thinking it might be Brazilian doesn't make it so. I think I might be a Billionaire now I don't give a F if it's Braz or not!

Fender gives no confirmed Brazilian serial numbers for SRV Strats as there was NO BRAZILIAN used on them. Simple.

Even for luthiers just from pictures or even smell if you have it in hand it is difficult to be 100% sure. Smell you would need to take some shavings and burn it to be 100%. This fingerboard you can't tell for sure it's Brazilian from the looks. There is no 100% tells here. Some Braz does display solid tells. However, Gibson (as Fender do) keeps records and they are particularly fastidious about Brazilian records from 1990 on when flora and fauna protection increased. Gibson releases serial numbers for the 2001, 2003 & 2002 guitars that got Brazilian. There are LOTs of guys that have 2003 Les Pauls with colourful Indian rosewood boards that try and palm them off as Brazilian too. It's very clear though if the guitar is legit and has a confirmed Brazilian serial number then it IS Brazilian. These are the only guitars that have increased value. Thinking it might be Brazilian doesn't make it so. I think I might be a Billionaire now I don't give a F if it's Braz or not!

Fender gives no confirmed Brazilian serial numbers for SRV Strats as there was NO BRAZILIAN used on them. Simple.
Mine is confirmed based on serial number.
Also, mine was originally on the Gibson tour bus. Got it from Dave’s Guitars in 2004 once it left the bus. Had a few dings on the sides and back but the price was right. I played the shit out of it for years.
1627168717688.jpeg

Who ever said there was?

Who ever said there was?
Lot's of people have presented their SRV Strats as having Brazilian rosewood boards. (The OP was 99% sure he had Braz). Lots of people have said publicly that Fender definitely made the first 100, 200 or even 500 SRV Strats with Brazilian Rosewood in 1991 and 1992. THAT'S A FACT

By inference that info is backed up by Fender themselves. Saying they didn't say that does not dismiss the clear implied suggestion that they have information that confirms this maybe from secret sources or experts etc.

He wants to create a controversy when there isn't one. Lol
Of course there is controversy. The reality is that lots of people perpetuate a myth and lots of people have taken that myth and fraudulent taken an extra 3k USD or so based on fraud. I am just trying to set the record straight as a community service. Instead of you guys attacking me calling me troll or making out I am making up something you could appreciate what I am actually doing instead of projecting stuff I am not doing onto me. Thanks.

Sure looks like Rosewood of some kind to me with those splits in the grain.
Another name for PF is Bolivian Rosewood. They are closely related but completely different species. Comparing Bolivian to Indian Rosewood you probably couldn't tell the difference but you definitely can hear a difference with real brazilian rosewood.

Of course there is controversy. The reality is that lots of people perpetuate a myth and lots of people have taken that myth and fraudulent taken an extra 3k USD or so based on fraud. I am just trying to set the record straight as a community service. Instead of you guys attacking me calling me troll or making out I am making up something you could appreciate what I am actually doing instead of projecting stuff I am not doing onto me. Thanks.
Instead of coming in here and attacking the OP, you could just simply mention your opinion on this with your posts....this would have been a much better way of going about things. But you come off as attacking the OP with a personal agenda...as if he sold YOU something that wasn't as advertised. Assuming things gets you nowhere.

Another name for PF is Bolivian Rosewood. They are closely related but completely different species. Comparing Bolivian to Indian Rosewood you probably couldn't tell the difference but you definitely can hear a difference with real brazilian rosewood.
Does it sound more like a dragstrip?

Of all people Id think you would be all in on that one.

In the 80s I worked for an audio company that employed two senior acoustic engineers.
Both were older and had decades of experience to go along with every engineering degree known to man.

Sidebar:
Mechanical Engineering: Something MEASURES either 6" or 12".
Electrical Engineering: Something MEASURES either 9 VDC or 120 VAC.
Acoustical Engineering: Something SOUNDS either good or bad.

Back to the story.
These two fucks could NEVER agree on the final product. They'd get into purely ego driven
arguments trying to prove one 'hears' better than the other. It got fun to watch after a while.

You wanna claim you can tell the difference between Brazilian and Indian with just your ears?
You better be ready to do it as part of a double blind listening test.
(trust me, you'll fail at least half the time - assuming luck is a 50/50 chance game)

Last edited:
I dont care,I cant hear for shit, played in clubs when you played loud. When I play at home 100 watt nmv on 10 just another day. My high end hearing is completely gone.

Back