Is this SRV strat Brazilian rosewood?

He’s a knob that goes everywhere to try and discredit anyone that has a BRW SRV
No you are a misrepresenter and wish to increase the value of your guitar. I have no agenda but to see the truth be told. I have worked as a professional luthier studying with John Carruthers and working for Asher Guitar in LA and am now a professional vintage Fender authenticator. Who TF are you?

No you are a misrepresenter and wish to increase the value of your guitar. I have no agenda but to see the truth be told. I have worked as a professional luthier studying with John Carruthers and working for Asher Guitar in LA and am now a professional vintage Fender authenticator. Who TF are you?
Hi, there is a srv signature strat £4,807 on Reverb right now as we speak, seller is saying Brazilian Rosewood
Fret board date 3rd April 1992. In your experience please look at it and give me your thoughts, i ask
in respect as you know wood and in kind, thanks.

Kanga Blue would you be so kind to reply to the last post please. Im only trying
to build up a picture why sooooo many think there's is Brazilian when yes i see
so many different shades of Brazilian, Indian and Pau Ferro. Wood Oil also comes in
different dyes and shades who knows what's what or what some would do to
try and con someone (easy done guys, think about it). I agree with Kanga Blue
on this but yes agree you could give your input a bit less forward. I used to be
like this but realised no point easy approach is way better.

So bit of info re wood would be great, i ask cause i don't know, YOU do, hence
why i ask. Gently gently now easy boy lol

I know this is an old topic and I'm not taking anyone's side since I know very little about SRV guitars and I'm really not that interested in them. Just wanted to share a bit of info about Brazilian rosewood in general that may help shed some light in the topic.

In 1967, the Brazilian government outlawed the export of Brazilian rosewood logs and in 1992 the newly formed CITES convention declared Brazilian rosewood a threatened species. As a result, most nations throughout the world declared it illegal to harvest, export or import any Brazilian rosewood (including products produced from Brazilian rosewood) harvested after 1992. In 2008 the United States Congress expanded the Lacey Act to include wood products and required chain of custody for every step of ownership of Brazilian rosewood to insure compliance with U.S.A. and international regulations. In order for products made from Brazilian rosewood to be legal, you must have documentation that the rosewood was already cut prior to the bans.

I know this is an old topic and I'm not taking anyone's side since I know very little about SRV guitars and I'm really not that interested in them. Just wanted to share a bit of info about Brazilian rosewood in general that may help shed some light in the topic.

In 1967, the Brazilian government outlawed the export of Brazilian rosewood logs and in 1992 the newly formed CITES convention declared Brazilian rosewood a threatened species. As a result, most nations throughout the world declared it illegal to harvest, export or import any Brazilian rosewood (including products produced from Brazilian rosewood) harvested after 1992. In 2008 the United States Congress expanded the Lacey Act to include wood products and required chain of custody for every step of ownership of Brazilian rosewood to insure compliance with U.S.A. and international regulations. In order for products made from Brazilian rosewood to be legal, you must have documentation that the rosewood was already cut prior to the bans.
That is correct, just to add pre July 1992 one must have documentation and inform CITES to get a legal document
to have any even fully made/built form of Brazilian Rosewood and you cannot sell it period re CITES Law in July 1992.

With proof with paper work from the company that had legal right to use it, were it came from/dates etc.
Without this you are breaking the Law.

After July 1992 ALL Brazilian Rosewood wood is totally banned period. That Law still stands today,
bar with documentation from CITES pre July 1992 as mentioned above.

In January 2017 CITES banned ALL rosewood which also effected guitars,

In November 2019 that CITES rule was lifted but the Brazilian Rosewood Law sadly still stands.

I have now closed a story i do now understand, and thank you to all who made me aware
of this before i spent £5,000 on a guitar with Brazilian Rosewood as it would of been destroyed,
if seller had of sent it fraudently i would be breaking the law, i wonder how many think
there Brazilian guitars are rare and worth money, hmmm scary stuff guys.

Kanga Blue would you be so kind to reply to the last post please. Im only trying
to build up a picture why sooooo many think there's is Brazilian when yes i see
so many different shades of Brazilian, Indian and Pau Ferro. Wood Oil also comes in
different dyes and shades who knows what's what or what some would do to
try and con someone (easy done guys, think about it). I agree with Kanga Blue
on this but yes agree you could give your input a bit less forward. I used to be
like this but realised no point easy approach is way better.

So bit of info re wood would be great, i ask cause i don't know, YOU do, hence
why i ask. Gently gently now easy boy lol
Kanga Blue has stated that there are ZERO SRV's with Brazilian Fretboards. So if you are asking his opinion, that's what he is going to tell you.

Hmm
I know nothing about rosewood or Brazilian rosewood.
What I find odd is that both guys who claim to be experts were new members ?

Hmm
I know nothing about rosewood or Brazilian rosewood.
What I find odd is that both guys who claim to be experts were new members ?
Hmm you find odd CITES Law. How dare you. You can also find this information
on Andersons Music Store (UK) and it's well documented by CITES. And it's are new
members not were. We are only giving good solid advice. I don't think this forum
is for me, im well in to my late 50's and cannot in kind (as my wording states) put
information that IS 100% true. Moderator/s please close my account. I am not an expert
Kidkramer71 it's LAW. And £5000 is a lot of money.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/f...d-run-stratocasters-brazilian-rosewood-necks/
i had a killer 94 ltd ed usa seafoam green strat which i was told had a Brazilian rosewood neck.
it was very dark wood and the grain was tighter and slicker feeling towards the ebony end of the spectrum than traditional grittier rosewood

you might be able to see how it compares in color to the rosewood on my tyler strat

5D6A53F9-C5CE-4943-B1CC-70BB1557BF87.jpeg

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/f...d-run-stratocasters-brazilian-rosewood-necks/
i had a killer 94 ltd ed usa seafoam green strat which i was told had a Brazilian rosewood neck.
it was very dark wood and the grain was tighter and slicker feeling towards the ebony end of the spectrum than traditional grittier rosewood

you might be able to see how it compares in color to the rosewood on my tyler strat

View attachment 126952
I don't care about SRV strats...........but what year is that Tyler? I'd love to find a Tyler Classic Hardtail Strat. They are rare, and I hope some day Tyler will offer stainless steel frets as an option. Every Tyler I have has been retro-fitted with stainless frets.

I don't care about SRV strats...........but what year is that Tyler? I'd love to find a Tyler Classic Hardtail Strat. They are rare, and I hope some day Tyler will offer stainless steel frets as an option. Every Tyler I have has been retro-fitted with stainless frets.
The CITIES Law relates to ALL guitars made from Brazilian Rosewood not just SRV strats. If you owned
an SRV Signature 1992 and played one you would change your opinion, beautiful tone, trust me. I might be new here
but have a huge amount of life lived. One should always care before forking out big bucks for something
that is actually illegal (read above), blind eye i don't care attitude, my guitars are NOT Brazilian Rosewood, this is to advice those
that do care. Moving on.

Moving on.

You're still here??? I thought you said you were leaving?
:LOL: Just joking with you. Stick around for a while and you'll probably find we're a decent (though kinda crazy) group around here. If you read the how old are you thread you'll see most of us like yourself are middle aged to old farts ourselves. We can all disagree about things an still get along fine. Just don't go attacking people because they have a different opinion or challenge what you presented.

You're still here??? I thought you said you were leaving?
:LOL: Just joking with you. Stick around for a while and you'll probably find we're a decent (though kinda crazy) group around here. If you read the how old are you thread you'll see most of us like yourself are middle aged to old farts ourselves. We can all disagree about things an still get along fine. Just don't go attacking people because they have a different opinion or challenge what you presented.
No worries.......it's great entertainment, and pings the ignore list. Win Win!

No worries.......it's great entertainment, and pings the ignore list. Win Win!
I nearly paid £5000 for a Brazilian Rosewood electric guitar and with paper work
from USA, you say ignore list, i say i kept my 5k, so yes win win as you say.

I am just making others aware, if you live in UK and one bought that guitar
at 5k, it either gets destroyed or smuggled in, getting the picture.

Anyway no your right i won't leave but moving on, im hard skinned.

Hopefully guys this advise might help those that do care about there hard
earned cash.

Back