I've got some NADs to show off

MadAsAHatter

Yes, the pun was intended in the title :LOL:

This NAD is mainly for my newly acquired Naylor Superdrive 100, but I’ve procrastinated on posting previous NADs for a number of months now. Now is as good of a time as any to catch up so this post will contain 5 of them. NADs are KSR Gemini, Peters Pro Dual Channel (Halo/Vega), Zinky MOFO, Randall RM100, & Naylor Superdrive 100. I have some pics of everything and will try to get clips made/posted during the week.

Any clips will also be new speaker & microphone days too. These will be my first recordings of new Mojotone Grehound speakers using a new pair of Sterling Audio SL30MP condenser mics. I haven’t had the mics for overly long so I’m still playing around with placement.

KSR Gemini:
1657622470690.png

This is the one I bought from JerEvil so some of you may already be familiar with it. The best way I can describe it is a cross between a Mesa & Marshall with what appears to be infinite options for tone shaping. I really don’t know where to begin describing the tones this amp is capable of. I’ve had it for several months now and still feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface. I’ve found a go to setting that suits me. Lead channel, Mode 2, Fat 1, Voice 0, Bright 1. This gives me all the gain I want, good bass response without being flubby, and enough top end clarity before going into icepick territory. I find the voice switch makes only subtle changes to tone so I just leave it off. I also like Mode 4 if I want to go over the top saturation and still remain fairly tight.

Peters Pro Dual Channel:
1657622559217.png

I came across this one on reverb for a pretty good steal. I’ve been able to get acquainted with this one for several months now also. It’s from 2008 and has the Halo and Vega channels. Unfortunately this one went right into the repair shop upon arrival. The idiot who packed it stuck it in a way oversized box with pretty much zero protection. The amp got thrown around so much in the box that all the tubes popped out and the chassis bent underneath the transformer. And the footswitch was also crushed by the weight of the amp being slammed on it during shipping. There was also some other damage but nothing that was unrepairable. I decided to keep it and have it repaired with the cost of repairs, new tubes, etc., etc. refunded to me. I had to wait several weeks to get it back, but the tech did a good job at fixing it up.
Tone wise, I put this in the hot-rodded British camp. The Halo channel is a good clean channel that can hit light crunch with the gain cranked. The Vega channel I’d say is on the upper end of medium gain, think lightly boosted JCM 800. For me it can make it into 80’s metal type saturation. It could probably make it into modern metal territory with a good boost, but that’s not its forte. I pretty much set it for your typical British type tones with the gain cranked about 3/4th the way up. I will say it is touch sensitive on both channels. The harder you dig in the more you can drive it.

Zinky MOFO:
1657622578910.png

This one I found at the local tech shop. I was picking up the Peters amp from being repaired after the shipping disaster. While waiting for the tech to bring the Peters out from the back I spotted the Zinky in the corner. I played it for a few minutes with a shop guitar then came back the next day with one of mine to give it a real go. After that it came home with me. This one is # 065. The mofo is different from what I'm used to out of my other amps. I find somewhat like a Recto, but not really either. It is pretty gnarly and aggressive though. The clean channel is nothing to write home about. Lead channel doesn’t have over the top saturation but more than enough to let you know it’s there. I find the 2 best settings are how you see it set in the picture above with gain set to taste. This sounds just like you’d expect with those settings. The other best setting is everything cranked to "11" and run it wide ass open. This is where you get some truly aggressive tones. The tolex was a good bit roughed up and peeling off in several areas so it needed a recover. My wife picked the cheetah print I like the way it came out.

Randall RM100 + modules:
1657622604270.png

This is a recent acquisition bought a few weeks ago. I’ve been having a SYN 2 and a couple of Synergy modules for a while now, running them through the power section of a Line 6 DT 25. This worked well enough but there was too much difference in volumes when switching topologies. Browsing eBay I came across the Randall and it was listed as having mods done by Jaded Faith, but the seller didn’t know which ones. It was a good price so I went ahead and took a chance on it. Turns out it had the dual channel mod done. It also came with a Randall Clean, Rectified, and Blackface module. It came with 6L6s installed and I swapped them out for EL34s. EL34s sound better to me in this amp than 6L6s. It works perfectly with my synergy modules and I’m not too far off the sound I was getting from the Line 6. I also have they SYN2 run through the loop. With that setup theoretically I can have a 10 channel amp LOL! I don’t care much for the Randall modules that came with the amp so I’ll be sending them off to Rob for some mods. The tolex was in okay shape but apparently I've been on a recovering spree lately and did this one too. purple/white crocodile print seemed fitting for this one.

Naylor Superdrive 100:
1657622928845.png

Last but certainly not least... This one came in Friday afternoon. I stumbled across it on eBay and was lucky enough to snag it for a good price. If you’ve read my other post about this amp you’ll know I actually bought it from braintheory without realizing it was him. Made me happy to know I was getting it from a fellow RT member. I haven’t had a whole lot of time with the amp yet and I’m obviously still in the honeymoon phase, but holy crap! Instant satisfaction within the first few notes. My ENGL Inferno has been my favorite amp thus far. I won’t say the Naylor knocked it off the perch. It rather shares the pedestal with the ENGL for the exact opposite reason I love the Inferno. The Inferno has the typical compression you’d expect from an ENGL. The Naylor goes in the opposite direction being more open and organic. I don’t know if anyone would classify this as a high gain amp, but it has enough saturation for me to rock out to some old school Metallica and Megadeth. I was able to do a quick recording which will be posted below.

Last edited:
Here is the quick recording of the Naylor and what was used. As mentioned in the previous post mics and speakers are new so this is a test run for them too.
Guitar: '95 Ibanez Iceman with Dimarzio Super 3 bridge pickup
Cab/speakers: Egnater 412 Armageddon cab with Mojotone Greyhound speakers installed
Mics: Sterling Audio SL30MP condenser mics. Each mic was placed on a separate speaker; one placed on the edge of the dust cap and other near the edge of the speaker.

No real editing was done, just deleting out large gaps of silence. Each mic was panned about 70% to the left/right from the mixer. So this is pretty much a raw recording. Picture below shows the amp settings used, but with the master turned up to about 3 o'clock.

1657624532504.png

I've had a Gemini for a few months now as well and I agree, it feels like I learn something new every time I turn it on. Congrats on the new amps!

Congrats! Sounds like a cool stable of amps. I’ve yet to try a KSR or Peters; hear good things. They are more on the modern side of things vs my vintage modded Marshall type tone I go for.
Naylors are in my top 5; they are special amps. It’s probably the speakers but the clip kinda sounds like your tone control on your guitar is turned down. Definitely dialed in more modern than mine; I used V30s and boosted it for heavier stuff. Great amps!

It’s probably the speakers but the clip kinda sounds like your tone control on your guitar is turned down. Definitely dialed in more modern than mine; I used V30s and boosted it for heavier stuff. Great amps!

I just listen back to it on my PC speakers and it does sound a little muffled. It doesn't sound like that in the room and the highs came through more true to room sound on my Sennheiser headphones.

It probably wouldn't have hurt if I bumped the presence up just a tad more too. Like a lot or presence knobs 95% of the adjustment is in the last bit of travel. It sees like it can go from from not quite right to perfect to fuck that's ear piercing within a few millimeters. I think it may have been backed off ever so slightly when I did the recording. I still have the mics set in the same position so I'll try to make another clip later this week. Edge of speaker mic may need to be brought closer in too. I'm still playing with best positions.

DiMarzio super 3 with Naylor's naturally fatter sound should sound little bit dull. Has it HiDrive option ? I recommend boost but not TS style (boosting mids), something like Mesa Grid Slammer, Friedman Buxom etc. Presence control is like on picture ?

Congrats bwt. Peters amps intrigued me few years ago but no go in Europe :)

Damn, fuck yes.

I'd fuck with all of these amps HARD :love:

Also that purple croc tolex on the Randall is fuckin cool as hell; you do great work man

DiMarzio super 3 with Naylor's naturally fatter sound should sound little bit dull. Has it HiDrive option ? I recommend boost but not TS style (boosting mids), something like Mesa Grid Slammer, Friedman Buxom etc. Presence control is like on picture ?

Congrats bwt. Peters amps intrigued me few years ago but no go in Europe :)
I've been gravitating towards my Iceman with the super 3 in it a lot recently so it was the first guitar I grabbed. I haven't had a chance to roll through my other guitars with different pickups yet. No, it doesn't have the HiDrive option. I'm remembering poking at the presence knob before taking the pic of settings so I think it was backed off a slight bit in the clip from what is shown.

Congrats!
Nice haul.
Looks like fun
Hanger 18 :yes:
I've been enjoying the hell out of all of 'em, but I went a little spend happy recently. Seems like everything on the wish list all pops up at the same time. At least this go round I had been saving specifically for wish list amps for a while so I was able to afford it for a change. I still have enough put aside but my ass is about to completely drain the allotted amp spending fund. I still have my Iron Horse build being finished up & I've confirmed with Jason for a Headfirst Alta. I think he'll be collecting deposits next week.

Damn, fuck yes.

I'd fuck with all of these amps HARD :love:

Also that purple croc tolex on the Randall is fuckin cool as hell; you do great work man

You're in Louisiana like me right? We may need to get together one day and try shit out if I can ever get a decent amount of free time.

Awesome finds. The Peters really caught my eye when scrolling through. I haven’t tried his “lower” gain options, but I love the one that I have.
I wouldn't mind trying one of the higher gain channels if I ever get the chance. Even thought it's listed as medium gain the Vega channel can do thrash metal pretty easily.

Yes, the pun was intended in the title :LOL:

This NAD is mainly for my newly acquired Naylor Superdrive 100, but I’ve procrastinated on posting previous NADs for a number of months now. Now is as good of a time as any to catch up so this post will contain 5 of them. NADs are KSR Gemini, Peters Pro Dual Channel (Halo/Vega), Zinky MOFO, Randall RM100, & Naylor Superdrive 100. I have some pics of everything and will try to get clips made/posted during the week.

Any clips will also be new speaker & microphone days too. These will be my first recordings of new Mojotone Grehound speakers using a new pair of Sterling Audio SL30MP condenser mics. I haven’t had the mics for overly long so I’m still playing around with placement.

KSR Gemini:
View attachment 126964
This is the one I bought from JerEvil so some of you may already be familiar with it. The best way I can describe it is a cross between a Mesa & Marshall with what appears to be infinite options for tone shaping. I really don’t know where to begin describing the tones this amp is capable of. I’ve had it for several months now and still feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface. I’ve found a go to setting that suits me. Lead channel, Mode 2, Fat 1, Voice 0, Bright 1. This gives me all the gain I want, good bass response without being flubby, and enough top end clarity before going into icepick territory. I find the voice switch makes only subtle changes to tone so I just leave it off. I also like Mode 4 if I want to go over the top saturation and still remain fairly tight.

Peters Pro Dual Channel:
View attachment 126967
I came across this one on reverb for a pretty good steal. I’ve been able to get acquainted with this one for several months now also. It’s from 2008 and has the Halo and Vega channels. Unfortunately this one went right into the repair shop upon arrival. The idiot who packed it stuck it in a way oversized box with pretty much zero protection. The amp got thrown around so much in the box that all the tubes popped out and the chassis bent underneath the transformer. And the footswitch was also crushed by the weight of the amp being slammed on it during shipping. There was also some other damage but nothing that was unrepairable. I decided to keep it and have it repaired with the cost of repairs, new tubes, etc., etc. refunded to me. I had to wait several weeks to get it back, but the tech did a good job at fixing it up.
Tone wise, I put this in the hot-rodded British camp. The Halo channel is a good clean channel that can hit light crunch with the gain cranked. The Vega channel I’d say is on the upper end of medium gain, think lightly boosted JCM 800. For me it can make it into 80’s metal type saturation. It could probably make it into modern metal territory with a good boost, but that’s not its forte. I pretty much set it for your typical British type tones with the gain cranked about 3/4th the way up. I will say it is touch sensitive on both channels. The harder you dig in the more you can drive it.

Zinky MOFO:
View attachment 126970
This one I found at the local tech shop. I was picking up the Peters amp from being repaired after the shipping disaster. While waiting for the tech to bring the Peters out from the back I spotted the Zinky in the corner. I played it for a few minutes with a shop guitar then came back the next day with one of mine to give it a real go. After that it came home with me. This one is # 065. The mofo is different from what I'm used to out of my other amps. I find somewhat like a Recto, but not really either. It is pretty gnarly and aggressive though. The clean channel is nothing to write home about. Lead channel doesn’t have over the top saturation but more than enough to let you know it’s there. I find the 2 best settings are how you see it set in the picture above with gain set to taste. This sounds just like you’d expect with those settings. The other best setting is everything cranked to "11" and run it wide ass open. This is where you get some truly aggressive tones. The tolex was a good bit roughed up and peeling off in several areas so it needed a recover. My wife picked the cheetah print I like the way it came out.

Randall RM100 + modules:
View attachment 126973
This is a recent acquisition bought a few weeks ago. I’ve been having a SYN 2 and a couple of Synergy modules for a while now, running them through the power section of a Line 6 DT 25. This worked well enough but there was too much difference in volumes when switching topologies. Browsing eBay I came across the Randall and it was listed as having mods done by Jaded Faith, but the seller didn’t know which ones. It was a good price so I went ahead and took a chance on it. Turns out it had the dual channel mod done. It also came with a Randall Clean, Rectified, and Blackface module. It came with 6L6s installed and I swapped them out for EL34s. EL34s sound better to me in this amp than 6L6s. It works perfectly with my synergy modules and I’m not too far off the sound I was getting from the Line 6. I also have they SYN2 run through the loop. With that setup theoretically I can have a 10 channel amp LOL! I don’t care much for the Randall modules that came with the amp so I’ll be sending them off to Rob for some mods. The tolex was in okay shape but apparently I've been on a recovering spree lately and did this one too. purple/white crocodile print seemed fitting for this one.

Naylor Superdrive 100:
View attachment 126976
Last but certainly not least... This one came in Friday afternoon. I stumbled across it on eBay and was lucky enough to snag it for a good price. If you’ve read my other post about this amp you’ll know I actually bought it from braintheory without realizing it was him. Made me happy to know I was getting it from a fellow RT member. I haven’t had a whole lot of time with the amp yet and I’m obviously still in the honeymoon phase, but holy crap! Instant satisfaction within the first few notes. My ENGL Inferno has been my favorite amp thus far. I won’t say the Naylor knocked it off the perch. It rather shares the pedestal with the ENGL for the exact opposite reason I love the Inferno. The Inferno has the typical compression you’d expect from an ENGL. The Naylor goes in the opposite direction being more open and organic. I don’t know if anyone would classify this as a high gain amp, but it has enough saturation for me to rock out to some old school Metallica and Megadeth. I was able to do a quick recording which will be posted below.
That Randall is sick as hell

Nice NAD!
If the RM100 does not have the foglifter mod installed, get it from Jadad Faith. It‘s a must habe for this amps.

Back