JerEvil's 2021 Home Studio Gear Updates thread!

AND.... I'm done for a bit. Some hard core life happened today so this is the last piece of gear for a solid minute.

29PbP5nl.jpg

m1NGerXl.jpg

Glad I went with Seventh Circle Audio instead of a 500 rack. That would've gotten expensive fast :LOL:

Some day I'll buy one but, weirdly enough, the thing keeping me from buying one is the chassis itself and not the cost of the modules. Just seems like a lot of money to spend on a chassis that's useless without the modules.

Well you can't use the modules without the chassis, and the chassis contains the power supply so... can't have one without the other. When I bite the bullet I'll look for a used chassis, they pop up at Music Go Rounds and other places sometimes.

You go girl! It's also fun as all hell to spend money and then watch the hardware grow ..there is something to be said about committing to a sound rather than puzzing around with compression and other after the fact in a DAW. A lot of the greats or established mixers have said this before..commit Sum guitars/mics out of the DAW and make the decision. live with it.

I'm not familiar with those preamps though, I will have to have a look at what they are all about and what they are based on. I have an Audient ASP 880 and some Neve style 500 series preamp...all of which, are currently collecting dust. I'm gonna get there eventually though!!

Well you can't use the modules without the chassis, and the chassis contains the power supply so... can't have one without the other. When I bite the bullet I'll look for a used chassis, they pop up at Music Go Rounds and other places sometimes.
Indeed, but there are other module systems (like the SCA stuff) that were historically significantly less money for a metal box and power supply. It looks like there's finally some lower cost solutions on the market for the 500 racks but the fact that the PSU supply rating (and I/O) isn't standard on these, I assume, makes it limiting on what you can put in it if you decide to go the cheaper route.

You go girl! It's also fun as all hell to spend money and then watch the hardware grow ..there is something to be said about committing to a sound rather than puzzing around with compression and other after the fact in a DAW. A lot of the greats or established mixers have said this before..commit Sum guitars/mics out of the DAW and make the decision. live with it.

I'm not familiar with those preamps though, I will have to have a look at what they are all about and what they are based on. I have an Audient ASP 880 and some Neve style 500 series preamp...all of which, are currently collecting dust. I'm gonna get there eventually though!!
Yes girl, yes!!! Yeah man the Tonelux stuff was designed by Paul Wolff, formerly of API. He brought a lot of the biggest API stuff to market like the 512, 550, consoles and all.

Suffice to say, the pre's are VERY 512 inspired, but per my call with Tonelux, they have a less hairy top end when pushed and they developed their own op amps and transformers.

I really do want to stop dicking about and committing to some good tones going in and not trying to fix after the fact.

wow! you are going for it!
Yeah man!

Indeed, but there are other module systems (like the SCA stuff) that were historically significantly less money for a metal box and power supply. It looks like there's finally some lower cost solutions on the market for the 500 racks but the fact that the PSU supply rating (and I/O) isn't standard on these, I assume, makes it limiting on what you can put in it if you decide to go the cheaper route.
I looked at the SCA stuff years ago and it seems to be well regarded. I couldn't arse about with cheap stuff for the chassis. The Rupert Neve got a shit ton of stellar reviews, especially in regard to noise which can be dicey when the power is in the unit and not separate.

Looking at not breaking the bank, the Tonelux stuff was also really highly recommended. About the same price as the WA/GAP stuff but from guys I know that actually make money doing this, unlike me, they said stay away and go with the Toneluix stuff.

Yes girl, yes!!! Yeah man the Tonelux stuff was designed by Paul Wolff, formerly of API. He brought a lot of the biggest API stuff to market like the 512, 550, consoles and all.

Suffice to say, the pre's are VERY 512 inspired, but per my call with Tonelux, they have a less hairy top end when pushed and they developed their own op amps and transformers.

I really do want to stop dicking about and committing to some good tones going in and not trying to fix after the fact.

Yeah man!

I looked at the SCA stuff years ago and it seems to be well regarded. I couldn't arse about with cheap stuff for the chassis. The Rupert Neve got a shit ton of stellar reviews, especially in regard to noise which can be dicey when the power is in the unit and not separate.

Looking at not breaking the bank, the Tonelux stuff was also really highly recommended. About the same price as the WA/GAP stuff but from guys I know that actually make money doing this, unlike me, they said stay away and go with the Toneluix stuff.
I have one GAP and dig it for the colour but the WA stuff has never seemed to grab me based on what I heard. Yet the API flavoured stuff elsewhere sounds good. I might need to look into Tonelux at a certain point. Especially where drums are concerned. (which for the time being is covered because I am going into SD3)

Back