JJ E83CC - Any users?

Bash_Man

hey everyone,
I didn't even realize JJ made such a tube and it seems to get some good reviews, especially when compared to their standard ECC83S which I remember in the amps I played sounded dull dark. Didn't like them.

what's the word on the E83CC preamp tubes?

Thanks

It’s VERY different from the 83s. It’s a little brighter but the biggest difference is in the mids. It has a very prominent “hard” sounding midrange which is mostly emphasized on the center to upper mids. Reminds me of stepping on an SD-1.......that tightening effect and mid focus.
I’ve only tried them in modded Marshall type amps and that effect was too much for me. But I could imagine them working wonders in heavily saturated high gainers with multiple gain stages. For my amps, I still prefer the 83s in V1 and brighter/tighter AX7’s to fill out the rest.

It’s VERY different from the 83s. It’s a little brighter but the biggest difference is in the mids. It has a very prominent “hard” sounding midrange which is mostly emphasized on the center to upper mids. Reminds me of stepping on an SD-1.......that tightening effect and mid focus.
I’ve only tried them in modded Marshall type amps and that effect was too much for me. But I could imagine them working wonders in heavily saturated high gainers with multiple gain stages. For my amps, I still prefer the 83s in V1 and brighter/tighter AX7’s to fill out the rest.
Thank you. I may have to try them in my Splawn Nitro and see what it'll do the amp.

I bought a set.
They have a wider freq response, definitely brighter compared to the regular JJ.
They have and emphasized mid bass and are more compressed. More compression makes an amp easier to play if that's what you want.
The Frame Grid does make a difference in noise floor.

I bought a set.
They have a wider freq response, definitely brighter compared to the regular JJ.
They have and emphasized mid bass and are more compressed. More compression makes an amp easier to play if that's what you want.
The Frame Grid does make a difference in noise floor.
Thank you. what amp are you using them in?

Deliverance D120. That amp is real open and dynamic by design so the compression of those Tubes is noticeable. Maybe not so much with other designs like a Marshall JCM2000.
Compression is more apparent to the player and probably won't be perceived by a drunken audience with a live band.. Certainly not on a proper recording.. In fact, I could use a regular JJ or an E83CC or even a shitty OG Sovtek 12AX7A and make them all sound the same on a recording..
So really it's about how you want the Tube to react to your playing..

Deliverance D120. That amp is real open and dynamic by design so the compression of those Tubes is noticeable. Maybe not so much with other designs like a Marshall JCM2000.
Compression is more apparent to the player and probably won't be perceived by a drunken audience with a live band.. Certainly not on a proper recording.. In fact, I could use a regular JJ or an E83CC or even a shitty OG Sovtek 12AX7A and make them all sound the same on a recording..
So really it's about how you want the Tube to react to your playing..
Sounds great.. thank you for the info. They're not that expensive, so maybe worth a shot to see how they compare to the Mullard CV4004 tubes that I have in V2 and V3 in my Nitro.

I'm still in the honeymoon phase with these, but so far so good.
I bought these to expand the upper mids on my Marshall based Synergy modules, and they do just that.
Hopefully, they have the durability of their ECC83 brother.

I'm just jazzed at the fact that tubes are still popular enough to warrant manufacturers to design new models, (like Electro Harmonix new 7025).
that's awesome. That's sorta what the Nitro needs sometimes I feel. Its rich in the low mids. How long have you had them in there?

Hey everyone,
So I ordered 2 of the JJ E83CC tubes to try in my Splawn Nitro. They went into V2 and V3.

What's a difference I got with the high mids now. Sound is much tighter but more balanced all around. The reduced low end helped make the sound stick out more but definitely didn't take away the low end.

Very nice sounding tube.

Cheers

Reactions: ZFG
Yup I ordered one for v1 in my modded JCM800. Sounds fantastic. It replaced a standard JJ ECC83. The E83CC is much more alive with aggressive upper mid cut.

The E83CC will likely be my new go-to 12ax7.

Last edited:
I like the ECC83S, but out of the 13 i bought 10 were garbage. Selected, balanced, for V1... were all bad.

Yup I ordered one for v1 in my modded JCM800. Sounds fantastic. It replaced a standard JJ ECC83. The E83CC is much more alive with aggressive upper mid cut.

The E83CC will likely be my new go-to 12ax7.
that's how I felt about the upper mid. the Nitro definitely needs that extra upper mid, the amp is rich in low/low-mid. Hitting an open chord sounds more evened out and single notes stick out more too.

That’s how my Orange came: JJ ECC83S in V1, Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+ in V2 and the PI.

If jj were the only tube option on the planet would gladly go full Fractal & never look back.

The 83s are very inconsistent, but the good ones are great. This thread made me go through 18 of them today in V1 of one of my amps. Used a paint pen to mark the good ones. Out of the 18, I was left with 10 that I thought sounded great. Two of those were TAD rebrands (the only TAD’s in the lot). Most the others were unlabeled ones that I accumulated during my Engl days about 15 years ago. Only a couple of the modern “red label” ones made the cut. I had 5 Ruby HG labels that were very fizzy/muddy. They are kind of all over the place.

Aren't modern Mesa Boogie 12ax7's just rebranded JJ's that have gone through a series of tests. They sound really good in every amp I've used them in.

Back