Just discovered online discounts...

Lampshade1973

Im in the market for a new guitar, and sweetwater and musicians friend quoted me 200 dollars less plus no tax so really 300 dollars less than my local GC and sam ash....unbelievable....I could pick up the guitar and 3 pedals or a decent 1x12 cab for the same piece point at GC here in NY...look like ill be shopping online now...

I love local music shops

"we don't have it but we can get it."

So can I. Cheaper and faster, fuck you.

No wonder why they are all closing. Guitar Center next. They cater to Noobs and have NOTHING I ever want. Fuck them too.

GC can be pretty great, but you have to know what you want. Can't rely on them to know the products they sell, unfortunately.

But I've bee pretty surprised lately how some on-line retailers will discount from the MAP price if you just ask.

just to give you some numbers I want a prs mira ( I know not popular around here), they sell for 1179 and GC wanted 1179 plus almost 9% tax here in ny, sweetwater quoted me 1050 without tax and free shipping and MF quoted 995 without tax shipped free as well, I also got a killer quote from sweetwater on the 6505 mini, Ill def be back for that...

Sweetwater is the best. I received a dented MKV amp head. I got the dent out of the tolex with a hair dryer. They let me keep the amp and sent another one. I sent the defective one back when I received the new one. Ask MF to do that. Fuck MF, Fuck GC too. And Especially FUCKING FUCK Music 123 and WWBW. I don't know how those 2 stay in business. Actually I do. Fucking LOSERS keep ordering from them.

If I buy an amp or guitar from Sweetwater, if they are doing free shipping, as they usually do, I ask them to split overnight shipping and usually they do.

Once you are able to get over buying something sight unseen, or having never tried one, online is the way to go. Used, off a forum....and from someone you have dealt with before, is even better.

The only disadvantage I see is that there are great/good/OK/weak sauce guitars in any run. You never know what's gonna show up, because you didn't fondle it yourself. Some epiphone white les Paul customs sing, some just don't. Same with almost any mass produced guitars. Hell, I've ordered several USA custom shop jobs, and 1 or 2 are head and shoulders above the others.

Guitar center has become the place to try new gear. But I'll buy it online, thank you.

My local GC will usually match the price if I bring the ad in and then give me 10% off. Sales tax is 8.5% so the 10% off eats the tax and I save an extra 1.5% on the price.

Problem is they usually dont have the items in store that I am after.

If by chance, (going out on a limb here) GC has what I want in stock, I'll tell them I'm going to drive up to NH to get it instead to avoid sales tax and they usually eat the sales tax. Then I tell them I want a new one in a box and that's where the sale ends. "We only have this one."

BULLFUCK. I'll buy it without a box, "NEW" with boogers and dents all over it and the next day they'll have a new one on the floor. Fuck them. Slimeballs.

You know what GC is good for if you're in a bind? STRINGS. And maybe they'll actually have the set you're looking for.

Guitar center caters to kids that take a hit of acid with a picture of a guitar player on it at 2 in the afternoon and an hour later decide they want to be a guitarist and walk into GC and buy a $150 guitar.

They emailed me today. "Thanks for purchasing the guitar, we hope you're happy with it, bla bla bla"

I didn't even purchase a fucking guitar from there. Talk about one fucked up outfit.

Relax dude. If I can play a guitar and know it plays well, no dead spots, etc., I'll take that over a sight-unseen version any day and would pay a slight premium for it. And GC's used gear is awesome.

my local GC doesn't even carry the strings or picks I use, and they're not something uncommon either, Daddario 11s and jazz iii max grips

cardinal":2b5ao3gh said:
GC can be pretty great, but you have to know what you want. Can't rely on them to know the products they sell, unfortunately.

But I've bee pretty surprised lately how some on-line retailers will discount from the MAP price if you just ask.

Sadly this is true. I wanted to try amp x and walked after 20 minutes of noob sales guy trying to figure out how to get the amp HE likes to work! :doh:

cardinal":37zcqom0 said:
Relax dude. If I can play a guitar and know it plays well, no dead spots, etc., I'll take that over a sight-unseen version any day and would pay a slight premium for it. And GC's used gear is awesome.

Yeah, I've got a couple good ones there and received a couple lemons from online sales too. What sucks about ordering online, is 9 times out of 10 they wont even look at the guitar for you, then you have to send it back.

billsbigego":wtybw9kr said:
cardinal":wtybw9kr said:

Yeah, I've got a couple good ones there and received a couple lemons from online sales too. What sucks about ordering online, is 9 times out of 10 they wont even look at the guitar for you, then you have to send it back.

I've had well-known on-line retailers send me expensive guitars, supposedly after they've done full set ups, with visually obvious finish flaws or very poor fret work. Did they think I wouldn't notice? I really don't like buying guitars without playing them, but sometimes it does work out.

Sweetwater is 90 minutes north of me, which is great if I want to go and check something out before buying. It's also great because I can hit Gear Fest in the summer (5 years in a row now...). Being close is also nice when I order something because it almost always arrives the next day. The downside is that I have to pay taxes on my purchases...

billsbigego":2axz0yjf said:
If by chance, (going out on a limb here) GC has what I want in stock, I'll tell them I'm going to drive up to NH to get it instead to avoid sales tax and they usually eat the sales tax. Then I tell them I want a new one in a box and that's where the sale ends. "We only have this one."

BULLFUCK. I'll buy it without a box, "NEW" with boogers and dents all over it and the next day they'll have a new one on the floor. Fuck them. Slimeballs.

You know what GC is good for if you're in a bind? STRINGS. And maybe they'll actually have the set you're looking for.

Guitar center caters to kids that take a hit of acid with a picture of a guitar player on it at 2 in the afternoon and an hour later decide they want to be a guitarist and walk into GC and buy a $150 guitar.

They emailed me today. "Thanks for purchasing the guitar, we hope you're happy with it, bla bla bla"

I didn't even purchase a fucking guitar from there. Talk about one fucked up outfit.

You're a little too happy for me. Can you darken your mood a bit.

Back