narrowing the field for another high gain head.

trashedlostfdup

i haven't been around here a whole lot or for that much time, but i am getting sick of some other forums and will probably frequent here more often. (dont worry i am not TGP :thumbsup: )

anyways here is the info you need.

amps i own relative to this: Splawn Nitro (KT88), Splawn Pro Mod, Ampeg Lee Jackson (little less gain), Orange Dual Terror, and a Blue Voodoo that i am going to mod with the kit from triode when i get the time.

i have like 11 cabs, from 4x12"s to 2x12"s, 2x12"+1x15" to 1x12"s. i have a lot of other speakers as well. all speakers being celestion (dont know why, that is just what pops up cheap). most of the celestion also being English model. V30's, T75's, K100's, Celestion EVH signature speakers.

budget: $1200 max, preferably around/under $1000. i am patient and will wait for a deal to pop up. so i usually do pretty good as far as price goes.

i live in Tampa, FL local CL is decent, have seen better, have seen worse. the kajiji is pretty much nonexistant. the guitar centers never seem to have decent gear.

i will only buy used.

i have been looking around for a while, checking out clips and playing what is in local shops as well as GC and Sam Ash.

i am looking high gain, different flavor than what i have. i like variety. i am not the type of person who wants their dream tone or bust, i go with what i can pickup for what i am looking for. i won't buy if i couldn't make money or break even on a sale.

also: cleans are not necessary. none at all would be fine.

i am considering the:

*VHT/Fryette Deliverance (would like to know a little bit more about how the two gain knobs interact. with the one being voicing. i hope it is not functioning like a mid scoop to mid spike)
*VHT/Fryette Sig X (has more bells and whistles than i need, not even sure if i want all of it)
*Soldano Avenger
*Framus (not totally sure the differences between the dragon and cobra
*Krank Krankenstein (i have heard that the EQing is quite of an odd procedure and that is why so many don't care for it. not quite sold yet though)
*Mesa 2ch Dual Rec (legendary, but i am not sure it is my thing have played a few times)

i have not been able to try most of the amps listed above, and likely will not be able to, but i am fine with that. to a certain extent, as long as it is a good deal, its fine with me, if i don't like it, i will sell it.

thanks in advance.

racerevlon":1lf3tscg said:
Ever consider a Hughes & Kettner Trilogy? ;)

it was on one of my previous potentials, but after looking into it more and more, i realized that a lot of amps in the same financial bracket i would be happier with.

thanks for the shot though. they are nice sounding amps.

IMO - You would be happier with a Krank Rev+.
Same as a Krankenstein + but voiced with less highs.
Very affordable used, built like tanks. Very loud! Lots of gain.

Hmmm, your VHT and Krank choices are a ways away from the Mesa and Framus choices. If you try a Krank, make it the '+' version as I find these are much improved over the original series amps. Yes, the sweep knob can trip some people up, but they are delicious metal amps. VHT's are great amps. Very tight and almost dry feeling. And I've always been a Mesa fanboi so I won't go into that. As for the Framus....the Cobra is a full on metal machine. The Dragon is good too, but the Cobra is made for metal. Too bad they look like an old art deco toaster

Hey man, you're more than welcome to to drive over to me in Oviedo FL and check out a Soldano HR50 I have.

The Sig:X would be awesome. Price is great if you're buying used and you have three stellar channels. Plus with the footswitchable boost, you can get a ton of different tones.

trashedlostfdup":1exkn751 said:
i haven't been around here a whole lot or for that much time, but i am getting sick of some other forums and will probably frequent here more often. (dont worry i am not TGP :thumbsup: )

anyways here is the info you need.

amps i own relative to this: Splawn Nitro (KT88), Splawn Pro Mod, Ampeg Lee Jackson (little less gain), Orange Dual Terror, and a Blue Voodoo that i am going to mod with the kit from triode when i get the time.

i have like 11 cabs, from 4x12"s to 2x12"s, 2x12"+1x15" to 1x12"s. i have a lot of other speakers as well. all speakers being celestion (dont know why, that is just what pops up cheap). most of the celestion also being English model. V30's, T75's, K100's, Celestion EVH signature speakers.

budget: $1200 max, preferably around/under $1000. i am patient and will wait for a deal to pop up. so i usually do pretty good as far as price goes.

i live in Tampa, FL local CL is decent, have seen better, have seen worse. the kajiji is pretty much nonexistant. the guitar centers never seem to have decent gear.

i will only buy used.

i have been looking around for a while, checking out clips and playing what is in local shops as well as GC and Sam Ash.

i am looking high gain, different flavor than what i have. i like variety. i am not the type of person who wants their dream tone or bust, i go with what i can pickup for what i am looking for. i won't buy if i couldn't make money or break even on a sale.

also: cleans are not necessary. none at all would be fine.

i am considering the:

*VHT/Fryette Deliverance (would like to know a little bit more about how the two gain knobs interact. with the one being voicing. i hope it is not functioning like a mid scoop to mid spike)
*VHT/Fryette Sig X (has more bells and whistles than i need, not even sure if i want all of it)
*Soldano Avenger
*Framus (not totally sure the differences between the dragon and cobra
*Krank Krankenstein (i have heard that the EQing is quite of an odd procedure and that is why so many don't care for it. not quite sold yet though)
*Mesa 2ch Dual Rec (legendary, but i am not sure it is my thing have played a few times)

i have not been able to try most of the amps listed above, and likely will not be able to, but i am fine with that. to a certain extent, as long as it is a good deal, its fine with me, if i don't like it, i will sell it.

thanks in advance.

I have a MINT 5153 for sale in Tampa that is exactly what you need.

I think MK III are hit or miss when it comes to really 'hi'- gain. Too many models with too many options. I bought one a few yrs back and thought it would be this metal monster. It wasn't. I still own it and don't plan on getting ride of it and it has great tone but. . . . If you don't know the history or have someone to guide you thru it. I wouldn't take that route. Unless you plan on using some kind of gain boost pedal with it.

These to come to mind for your price range. Blackstar and the new Mesa's Electra Dyne, Heavy tones at resonable price. The Royal Atlantic' is great too but are a little spendy ($1,500- 1,800 used and around 2 brand new depending on head or combo options.)

i have been throughly impressed with the kranenstein+ i just got. it took a bit of eq'ing and time to get it where i like it, but once it was there i couldnt believe how good it sounds. i really didnt expect to be impressed or even like it, but it has been a pleasant surprise. the controls are very sensitive which allows for a wide range of adjustment. they dont hold there value very well, so you can find them for good prices all day long

Framus-Framus-Framus-Framus-Framus-Framus-Framus-Framus-Framus-
Framus-Framus-Framus-Framus-Framus!!!!!

Now go and check every thread from 2007-2008 and report back!

Nah, jk. Seriously, I'd consider a Baron!! Dave makes an amazing amplifier and they come up used for cheap now and then. Or he might be able to make you a sick one-channel in that range.

Other than that, 5150 III, Mark of some kind, or a modded Marshall come to mind. If you wait you might see a Friedman or Fortin pop up in that price range. Happens now and then.

Yeah, I'd have to say the 5153 would be a nice snag for the collection. I played one again tonight and had forgotten how awesome that amp is. Cleans and Crunch are super nice and the amp is amazingly quiet on Channel 3. The amp is very articulate for the amount of gain on tap. Drop C riffage was bonerific.

+1 to the Baron rec. I'd love to try one.

But here is my question Derek. Is this for you or your studio?

Do you plan to gig with it, record, or just noodling?

What kind of metal do you want to play with it or better yet....what do you feel you are missing now?

The 5153 might be a bit too close to your Splawns but it has EL34s and has more of a Marshall flare if that is something you are interested.

otherwise get Cobra. KSE used 'em

Scratch Framus, because the Dragon is a marshall flavored amp, which you obviously don't need, and the Cobra is basically out of your Budget. They pop up here and there, but usually $1300+.

I'd get a Recto.

311splawndude":27fekxrx said:
Yeah, I'd have to say the 5153 would be a nice snag for the collection. I played one again tonight and had forgotten how awesome that amp is. Cleans and Crunch are super nice and the amp is amazingly quiet on Channel 3. The amp is very articulate for the amount of gain on tap. Drop C riffage was bonerific.

+1 to the Baron rec. I'd love to try one.

But here is my question Derek. Is this for you or your studio?

Do you plan to gig with it, record, or just noodling?

What kind of metal do you want to play with it or better yet....what do you feel you are missing now?

The 5153 might be a bit too close to your Splawns but it has EL34s and has more of a Marshall flare if that is something you are interested.

otherwise get Cobra. KSE used 'em

i am going through all of your recommendations however 311 has the best point. i will potentially gig with it, it will be mine, although i am sure it will end up in the studio back and forth like quite a bit of my gear does.

my main priority with this amp is that i want to diversify my high gain tone. whatever is most different than what i am running is basically what i am looking for. to a certain point.

prime rib
Hmmm, your VHT and Krank choices are a ways away from the Mesa and Framus choices. If you try a Krank, make it the '+' version as I find these are much improved over the original series amps. Yes, the sweep knob can trip some people up, but they are delicious metal amps. VHT's are great amps. Very tight and almost dry feeling. And I've always been a Mesa fanboi so I won't go into that. As for the Framus....the Cobra is a full on metal machine. The Dragon is good too, but the Cobra is made for metal. Too bad they look like an old art deco toaster

yea my tastes are quite different in what i am looking for. again broad utility is the predominate factor. a two channel dual rec or tremoverb would be pretty different that what i have now, as would the framus. i like the Deliverance a lot. i really don't want or need all of the features of the sig:x, the only point in time i would pick one up would be if it was really cheap.

now to catch a few others, no 5150/6505etc,. 5153 is a no because i don't feel it is different enough than what i have except for a British flavor. so any of those is a no go. also no ultra/ultra+/XXX/JSX/3120/XXX2.

i will give baron a look.

However at the moment, i am thinking the race is really involving:

VHT/Fryette Deliverance
Krank Rev+ or Krankenstein+ (what ever pops up)
Soldano Hot Rod

i am going to be listening to more clips. i listened to clips for like two hours last night of most of these amps.

Back