Just scored an early MC1 50 and yes it's awesome

Clp45

always been a slo guy and still am but I always wanted something different as well. Tried other Marshall styled amps as well as but for years always wanted to try a wizard. The opportunity came up and now I have two favourite amps. Live in a condo so I am only using it with IR's/ studio monitors for now but damn if even through that it doesn't sound awesome. Quick question for any one with older MC experience how do I know what year it was built.

IMG_4271.jpeg

Congrats! Bet you'd probably have to email Rick the serial# for date of build? I recently landed another MCII and couldn't be happier. With a boost it's my favorite amp of all time...they are unique animals!

You can remove the back panel and the chassis. Usually the transformers have a date stamped on them.

Congrats. Two great amps there. I would love to try the mc1. I hear it is kinda like his version of a jubilee
I have heard the same thing. Funny enough I just sold a 2555 SL and there are certain qualities both amps share like the darker voicing. I find the MC1 is just instant gratification though and definitely has that punch which was lacking from the 2555 SL.

Congrats! Bet you'd probably have to email Rick the serial# for date of build? I recently landed another MCII and couldn't be happier. With a boost it's my favorite amp of all time...they are unique animals!
Definitely agree it has its own thing going on. The MC2 is definitely more versatile with the lead boost, contour and bright. One day I may look at grabbing one.

Definitely agree it has its own thing going on. The MC2 is definitely more versatile with the lead boost, contour and bright. One day I may look at grabbing one.

The bright and contour are very powerful controls and definitely allow a ton of versatility. I actually tend to play most the time with lead boost off but boosted out front with an od as it's just a bit more open and slightly thicker. Never tried an MCI, but owned an MTL, several MCIIs, MC25, and a Hybrid and the E34L MCIIs are by far my favorite followed by the MC25. If I would have had the ISP sub at the time I owned the MC25, I may have kept that amp. The tone and feel was absolutely glorious but it just lacked low end depth and head room for the punch the 100w has.

The bright and contour are very powerful controls and definitely allow a ton of versatility. I actually tend to play most the time with lead boost off but boosted out front with an od as it's just a bit more open and slightly thicker. Never tried an MCI, but owned an MTL, several MCIIs, MC25, and a Hybrid and the E34L MCIIs are by far my favorite followed by the MC25. If I would have had the ISP sub at the time I owned the MC25, I may have kept that amp. The tone and feel was absolutely glorious but it just lacked low end depth and head room for the punch the 100w has.

Using a SLO for so long I got rid of all my boosts. I may need to get one again to see how it works with the Wizard any recommendations ? I figured the extra tone shaping on the MC 2 is worth the price of admission. Still I’m pretty stocked on the MC1 so far.

Congrats OP on your Wizard! That is really cool to see you have a SLO too, great amps! Completely different worlds in terms of compression and open huge 3 D sounds though. What serial # is yours?

Congrats OP on your Wizard! That is really cool to see you have a SLO too, great amps! Completely different worlds in terms of compression and open huge 3 D sounds though. What serial # is yours?
Thanks
Thats exactly what I wanted with the Wizard sort of the bipolar difference than the SLO. Both cover different ends of sound I love. Oh and serial number is WM314 For the Wizard.

Those early Modern Classic are the ones used by Metallica's Garage Inc., and my all time favorite Wizard tones. That's the reason why I've kept my 93 Metal for so long... the circuit is extremely close to the early MC, and has the plus of a "Bright" control.
The clarity that those amps have is something everyone should be able to try out, at least once in their lifetime.

Does anyone else find the Modern Classics stiff to play at times? I've only tried mine with a boost in front once.

Does anyone else find the Modern Classics stiff to play at times? I've only tried mine with a boost in front once.

Well they definitely don't have any sag LoL!

Never played an MCI but have had three MCIIs and didn't find any of them stiff, including the current '15 I have., but we all use different words to describe different things. The Engl Savage 120 and FB100 felt stiff to me....like I was always fighting the amp. Wizards I describe as direct, fast, hard, immediate, articulate, accurate, but I guess the lack of compression and saturation could result in some calling it stiff. Try using the boost again, or try a couple boosts, to add saturation/grease. Out of the 7-8 boosts I tried with the MCII, the Duncan 805 and VFE Dragon seemed best at adding some compression/saturation, but the 805 sounds more natural.

Those early Modern Classic are the ones used by Metallica's Garage Inc., and my all time favorite Wizard tones. That's the reason why I've kept my 93 Metal for so long... the circuit is extremely close to the early MC, and has the plus of a "Bright" control.
The clarity that those amps have is something everyone should be able to try out, at least once in their lifetime.
It was originally the Garage Inc. album that got me hip to Wizard amps as I was a huge Hetfield fan back then. Ironically it was an early single input model that was available at the time I was scouting for one now. It does have the capability to get somewhat those tones I don't use EMG's so that big portion is missing. Playing Merciful Fate through it is sure a blast though. I never knew the early Metal's were voiced similar to the MC1's.

Never played an MCI but have had three MCIIs and didn't find any of them stiff, including the current '15 I have., but we all use different words to describe different things. The Engl Savage 120 and FB100 felt stiff to me....like I was always fighting the amp. Wizards I describe as direct, fast, hard, immediate, articulate, accurate, but I guess the lack of compression and saturation could result in some calling it stiff. Try using the boost again, or try a couple boosts, to add saturation/grease. Out of the 7-8 boosts I tried with the MCII, the Duncan 805 and VFE Dragon seemed best at adding some compression/saturation, but the 805 sounds more natural.
I probably going to pick up an 805 for it. I dug the demos I heard plus I like the fact you're selling it as a more natural boost.

How do you like the VFE dragon?

I probably going to pick up an 805 for it. I dug the demos I heard plus I like the fact you're selling it as a more natural boost.
I know Mike likes the 805. I've never tried it...but I will say the Suhr Koko Boost (original 2 button version on the mid boost side) is the best boost I've tried with my Wizards...and I've been through a bunch.

Back