Just when I thought I was over digital modeling...

rsm

Mooer released their Prime S1.

When they released the Prime P1, I found a good sale price for the P1 with the F4 wireless footswitch, and I thought Mooer should just put everything in the floor controller. Then they released the Prime P2 which works with the F4, and has some new features...which I got at a great price (~$60?) then they released the S1 which has everything in the floor controller. So of course I had to buy one:

Amazon.com: MOOER S1 Multi-Effects Pedal Processor with Wireless Footswitch  Controller 2 IN 1, Stereo 126 Guitar Effects Tuner 10 Metronome 40 Drum  Machine 80s Looper OTG USB Recording : Musical Instruments

I think it has the same/similar software as the P2, which I think sounds good. It's not shown on the Mooer website, but I was able to buy one on Amazon. Should be here Thursday.

Cool innovations, I agree these Mooer technologies may be the future of guitar as us dinosaurs with our 100W / 4x12 tube amps become extinct.

Cool innovations, I agree these Mooer technologies may be the future of guitar as us dinosaurs with our 100W / 4x12 tube amps become extinct.
Agreed. Send me your tube amps and I'll properly dispose of them according to local regulations, no muss no fuss. Free for rig talk members, just pay shipping.

why be over it though?? why are guitarist so dead set on never moving away from tubes?? tubes are about as cool as a light bulb to me, and like a light bulb they can blow up at any time causing other problems im tired of dealing with. when they get to the point of digital being indistinguishable, which many are starting to say they have gotten to that point, why would you want to still deal with tubes?

why be over it though?? why are guitarist so dead set on never moving away from tubes?? tubes are about as cool as a light bulb to me, and like a light bulb they can blow up at any time causing other problems im tired of dealing with. when they get to the point of digital being indistinguishable, which many are starting to say they have gotten to that point, why would you want to still deal with tubes?

I love tube amps! But yeah I feel the same way. There's no reason to artificially limit your tool set.

Reactions: rsm
Digital definitely has it's place in the Guitar World ..... especially if you have noise restraints ....

but until they can also mimic the push/pull feel of electrons under my fingertips playing a tube amp at the perfect volume ..... I'll stick with tubes and all analog signal paths ....

When I lived in a small apartment for 4 or 5 years ..... I only used Amplitube III on my computer and headphones ..... I probably wouldn't have played otherwise .... that little setup saved me

NO NO NO!!!! Didn't you say you liked Usher at the halftime show ???? These thoughts could get you BANNED -----FOR LIFE !!!

why not embrace both? different tools for different tasks....

I actually bought the Prime S1 a few weeks ago. However I was only able to download the app and sync them this past week. I had to delete the app and reinstall it for some reason. It's useless without the app since you can't control anything except the output volume. Now that I have it working I programmed some cool tones so far. This really is my first venture into modeling/IR's/ and any kind of modern technology.
I saw a couple of videos if the P2 and thought Leon Todd got a pretty damn good Marshall "800" tone and Ola used it on a pedalboard but only used the cab sim. So I was kinda interested. Then for some reason I watched the first day of NAMM video from that KDH dude and when he was at the Mooer booth talking about the Prime pedals he picked up the S1 for a couple of seconds but didn't say anything about it. It looked like a better form factor to me.
There is basically zero info on the internet about it other than a short Reddit and now this thread.
I still need to play with it more,but so far it seems like a keeper.

why not embrace both? different tools for different tasks....

ill compare a tube amp to a typewriter.. why would i want to deal with some big clunky thing that i have to change the ink and paper all the time, i have to take the paper out and white out any mistake i make instead of just hitting delete, im stuck with the one font, they get jammed up, ect.. when i can use a laptop or ipad or whatever device wherever i want, i can go back and make quick revisions, i dont have to spend money on ink and paper constantly much like tubes, i can put the vibrate mode on the keys so i get the exact same feeling of a "analog" typewriter key, and my writings come out exactly the same... why would i want to use the typewriter?? i cant imagine many writers unlike guitar players being so stubborn about it, but maybe there are?

Meh, these modelers are cool and great to add to your rig, but they are still FAR away from sounding/feeling the same as a tube rig. Not many, if any dudes totally sell their collection for only digital. When they do, surprise...they regret it and look for their fav tube amp again.
I guess if all one does is record, then just use digital stuff. Makes sense.
But that feeling of moving air in the room, and rattling windows just isn't there with modelers unless you use a tube power amp....and then, that kinda proves my point...

Meh, these modelers are cool and great to add to your rig, but they are still FAR away from sounding/feeling the same as a tube rig. Not many, if any dudes totally sell their collection for only digital. When they do, surprise...they regret it and look for their fav tube amp again.
I guess if all one does is record, then just use digital stuff. Makes sense.
But that feeling of moving air in the room, and rattling windows just isn't there with modelers unless you use a tube power amp....and then, that kinda proves my point...

ive never even played a modern modeler so i dont know, but i cant imagine a 600w kemper or one of these big watt seymour duncan SS power i see guys using not moving air?? its like i see old muscle car guys trying to say somehow a modern turbo'd 4cyl making twice the horsepower isnt gonna push you back in your seat the same way.

ive never even played a modern modeler so i dont know, but i cant imagine a 600w kemper or one of these big watt seymour duncan SS power i see guys using not moving air?? its like i see old muscle car guys trying to say somehow a modern turbo'd 4cyl making twice the horsepower isnt gonna push you back in your seat the same way.
Funny you say that; my commuter car is a Saab Aero turbo(I've had 4 other 4cyl Saab turbos over the years) and now also bought a Camaro SS last summer. There is a difference in the feel of the turbo vs the feel of the V8; whole other experience when you compare them. But similar results as both are quick(Camaro smokes the Saab, however lol).

I also have an HH M900, which puts out 800w at 4 ohms, 450w at 8, and 200 at 16 ohms and yes it gets loud, but at high volume there is still a noticeable difference in the 'bloom' of the tube amp vs the SS M900 getting loud...hard to explain but the way the tube amp pushes you it just sounds better, more wild/untamed vs the SS amp getting loud but without that 'wild' quality where you have to learn to play a little differently to control the feedback etc like an old Plexi at volume.

There's just something extra that a tube amp does when cranked that SS just doesn't do. Also, the feel is completely different with a tube amp vs SS; I just don't care for it with the modelers I've played/owned.

I'll always say the modelers are great at recording, offer a super small rig to transport, and sound good enough to own and use. But when you compare directly, your Cameron Mig to say the Kemper profile of it, or the AXE version of a Cam I'd bet you'd pick your amp over all the sims.

Back