Killer Ray Gillen/Badlands vocal cover

Webb

Wow, this dude's got pipes. He is currently on tour with TSO and has a pretty cool original band called Animal Drive. Check them out if you haven't heard them.

He is close to Ray with his own distinct tone, that was really great, seems he has Ray's range... which set Mr. Gillen apart from other vocalists. His original band was pretty good but their style was all over the place, you can hear Dio to Dreamtheatre influences but it was different enough to put it in the really good category.

I'll be checking out some more of their tunes, thanks for posting this. :rock:

Wow!!! Never heard anyone come even remotely close to Gillen's vocals. Someone needs to turn Jake on to this guy!

I’m sure he recorded it but in that vid he’s lip syncing. The mic isn’t plugged in.

Vocally he did a great job on the cover. Didn’t care for his original band much though. Well at least sonically. Just more bad drum triggers or software and an overly fuzzy, saturated guitar tone for that kind of music. Doesn’t anyone wanna rock with raw and punchy tones anymore?

SQUAREHEAD":vyjvfadf said:
Wow! That kid’s throat is made of gold.

Yoy nailed my thoughts as well. Unbelievable voice this guy has. That's something you just can't learn, he was born with the tone and the ear.

Kapo_Polenton":22frdhcl said:
SQUAREHEAD":22frdhcl said:
Wow! That kid’s throat is made of gold.

Yoy nailed my thoughts as well. Unbelievable voice this guy has. That's something you just can't learn, he was born with the tone and the ear.

Indeed...but his baby face in his band’s vid just kills me...how does that voice match that face..lol

skoora":2psivz5d said:
I’m sure he recorded it but in that vid he’s lip syncing. The mic isn’t plugged in.

Ha, I didn't even notice the mic was not plugged in. Good catch!

Dude sounds awesome, love this! Leave it to some of the young guys to do it right sometimes, while SOME of the older dudes are STILL being PC/cutting their own balls off afraid to do rock/metal righteously because of CDS(Cobain Derangement Syndrome).

bobbtoz":1rus7471 said:
Wow!!! Never heard anyone come even remotely close to Gillen's vocals. Someone needs to turn Jake on to this guy!

Why?

Badlands is Jake and Ray, not Jake and a guy who can sing his ass off and sounds a little bit like Ray in parts

sytharnia1560":309kq66v said:
bobbtoz":309kq66v said:

Why?

Badlands is Jake and Ray, not Jake and a guy who can sing his ass off and sounds a little bit like Ray in parts

My first instinct was to say this too but then I realized just as you said, that Badlands was Ray and Jake in their primes and you aren't going to reinvent the wheel on that magic. Jake def. Is not playing like he used to and this would come off kind of like Thayer playing all of Ace's parts and wearing his make up. This guy is great in his own right and his voice suits the stuff he sings. He just happens to be the perfect guy to sing tributes.

It is crazy though, when I listen to it without watching him sing, you could swear it is Ray singing it. He's got all the little nuances down pat.

i heard he new Animal Drive about 6 months ago. 1st track was solid, but rest of he disc was just okay. His voice to me sounds better with a higher tuning.

sytharnia1560":pa3culxn said:
bobbtoz":pa3culxn said:

Why?

I live too much in the past...

Back