Krank Krankenstein: Yay or nay?

i just remember the one ozzfest i went to back in the 00's and a had a working pass to check out everyones rigs, back at the old place everyone was gushing all over the incredible 5150 tones as i lay dying and a couple other bands had, it was really kranks though. even with photo proof no one was buying it lol
Knowing how these forums work, it doesn’t surprise me. I get it…the name is pretty lame. Their business practices weren’t that great. But it’s hard to deny they do sound pretty beefy.

i just remember the one ozzfest i went to back in the 00's and a had a working pass to check out everyones rigs, back at the old place everyone was gushing all over the incredible 5150 tones as i lay dying and a couple other bands had, it was really kranks though. even with photo proof no one was buying it lol
My old band played a show with Shadows Fall when they were using them back in the day. I remember they'd gotten shit for using fake heads onstage (in bright lights you could tell they were empty shells) but that's what they were actually using in their road cases behind the wall of cabs. They sounded pretty good, I think they told me they were running el34's instead of 6l6's.

My old band played a show with Shadows Fall when they were using them back in the day. I remember they'd gotten shit for using fake heads onstage (in bright lights you could tell they were empty shells) but that's what they were actually using in their road cases behind the wall of cabs. They sounded pretty good, I think they told me they were running el34's instead of 6l6's.

shadows fall were actually my buddies who got me into those ozzfest, 03 and 05 it was looking at my passes on my wall of memories. i dont remember them having Kranks at the time though, they were using TSL's then. i had a bunch of rig pics from those shows on my photobucket but it looks like that site blocked me till i pay lol. i remember that was the first time i saw dummy full stacks from behind, killswitch had two mesa stacks and only one cab was real.

XDhFWYS_d.jpg

shadows fall were actually my buddies who got me into those ozzfest, 03 and 05 it was looking at my passes on my wall of memories. i dont remember them having Kranks at the time though, they were using TSL's then. i had a bunch of rig pics from those shows on my photobucket but it looks like that site blocked me till i pay lol. i remember that was the first time i saw dummy full stacks from behind, killswitch had two mesa stacks and only one cab was real.

XDhFWYS_d.jpg
Shadows Fall were badass, for sure one of the best bands I saw during that Ozzfest era no doubt

I had the KT88 version for a hot minute, Craigslist deal of the century I couldn’t pass up. I think the hate this amp gets in here is mostly due the image, etc. related to this amp. It was actually a good amp, interesting tone. It sounded like it had some Marshall dna but not so much I would call it “Marshall based”. Can’t comment on the original version but the power section on the + sounded huge, which was a novelty for me but not really what I’m into. I don’t know how to describe the preamp, maybe a bit 5150/SLO/Rectoish with a side of JMP 1, but with its own thing going on as well.

IMPORTANT: If you tried this amp and didn’t try different pre & master volume blends, you fucked up royally; the amp has a wide range of tones available from tweaking those 2 knobs, way more dynamic pre/master volume interaction than most other amps I’ve owned.

The Krankenstein+ I had got its ass stomped by everything else I had in the room. A bunch of bros went at it and all said "meh". I sent it to Lickliter and he gutted it and rebuilt the amp from the ground up and it was so much better. Wish I had kept it but someone I knew wanted it badly so I let it go. It was definitely a tweakers amp. Not something you just plugged into and quickly dialed in an awesome tone.

The Krankenstein+ I had got its ass stomped by everything else I had in the room. A bunch of bros went at it and all said "meh". I sent it to Lickliter and he gutted it and rebuilt the amp from the ground up and it was so much better. Wish I had kept it but someone I knew wanted it badly so I let it go. It was definitely a tweakers amp. Not something you just plugged into and quickly dialed in an awesome tone.
It’s shit amp in the pic right ?

I have a 50W Rev. I'd set the 3 band EQ at noon and use the sweep control to get to the ballpark of what I'm looking for then use the 3 band EQ to fine tune it. Also I only have the presence control barely on since it turns into a buzzfest very soon. But overall I can get some good tones out of it.

we need clips of that modded 900 Brent G did for you Martin. I think that was your amp right? Juggy posted clips or someone did and I thought that was one of the heaviest amps I had ever heard. Just insane sounding.

Yep. That's where it wound up during that amp fest. Juggernaut and I were laughing hysterically as we set it up to take the pic. The best part is if you Google image Krankenstein that pic pops up right away. It was originally posted on the Dean forum under the title "I finally found a use for the Krankenstein!"
I remembered this . Fuck ya

Back