Kruse control amp mods

I had a jcm800 with his V5 mod and have tried his Quanah amp. I found them both to have a brittle quality that I also hear in clips of his other stuff that I don’t care for. The Quanah amp I didn’t like. I think his mods will sound good if the donor amp is good, but all things being equal are better modders out there imo like Monomyth, Cameron or Hopkins

He was though very nice and super responsive like others said. I got my amp back with the mod finished in less than a week, very fast! Just too bad I liked other modded Marshall’s I had better and had a tough time selling

I had my Quickrod modded by him. Did just the variac switch on the back allowing 5w-10w-25w-etc. Super EXCELLENT communication, and turnaround was like a week.
In fact, when My 5150III just broke down, I emailed him and asked him if I could just send him the chassis, cuz it's the combo(too heavy to ship). I was thinking about him putting the concentric pots on green/blue channel for me too. I wasn't sure I wanted to take it to Rainbow Electronics here in Sacramento. But I ended up taking it there. They were cool. Took 2 weeks only to fix....they did a solid job. I just figured I didn't wanna chance sending just the chassis, cuz if it got damaged, i'd be shit outta luck knowing UPS policies.

Anyhow...I would recommend Jens to anyone anytime.

Good dude. Great work. Fast communication and turn around. I had the DeKompression mod done on a VH4. It was the best amp I ever owned and I’ve owned damn near everything.

Tone Monster":2jf8xgba said:
Good dude. Great work. Fast communication and turn around. I had the DeKompression mod done on a VH4. It was the best amp I ever owned and I’ve owned damn near everything.

I was looking at his vh4 mod. Mine is a 2006 and is pretty dark sounding. I'm thinking of doing this mod too.

I had a 5150III with one of his mods. I didn't particularly like how it sounded, but at least it was on a pot so I could turn it off.

There was a lot of bad opinions of him and his mod to a KSR amp of some sort on (no surprise) a KSR group on bookface.

I had a DMoll and a EVH 50w with lots of mods done. They could all be turned off or dialed in as needed. When you max out the mod tone, it was brittle, but dial it in to 10 o'clock or so & it was an amazing improvement. He also tweaked the DMoll ch1 and turned it from a great clean channel into the best clean I've ever heard + super wide range. Customer service and communication is top notch. I say go for it.

I had Jens mod my evh. I was more than happy with the mods. He was local to me, so I visited his shop to drop off/pickup. He showed me a few other things he was working on at the time. I was very impressed by his work. I found him to be a nice, trustworthy guy. I would say go for it.

He did my quick rod awhile back. I sold it pretty quickly afterwords. I wanted to like it but as said previously it sounded brittle. He tends to add a lot of high end.

I saw the hate he got on the KSR page. I didnt look at the inside after my mod but some people have said that his work is sloppy. I personally do not care for how he describes his mods at the original amp's expense.

Personally unless you are modding an older amp like a Marshall or old peavey or something I think you would be better served by just selling the amp and getting something you would like better. For example both me and the guy who had his KSR modded ended up selling their modded amp pretty much as soon as they got it back.

I used to be really into the idea of modding but a tech here locally changed my opinion. He basically said most things can be fixed with a pedal or get an amp that has the sound that you are looking for. He basically turned away a ton of business by giving an honest answer. This guy worked on whatever music gear you needed to get fixed. I think he fixed my ADA preamp in the 90's as well as a Yamaha Effects processor but he was the go to guy in Charlotte for years until he retired last year.

I've heard nothing but good things and when I e-mailed him to ask about mods for my 5150III 50 watt he got back to me ASAP. I mean, it was Saturday night and he got back to me right away. I wouldn't expect that on a Saturday night, but I will say that good communication is one indication of someone who is great to do business with.

I had a DMoll and a EVH 50w with lots of mods done. They could all be turned off or dialed in as needed. When you max out the mod tone, it was brittle, but dial it in to 10 o'clock or so & it was an amazing improvement. He also tweaked the DMoll ch1 and turned it from a great clean channel into the best clean I've ever heard + super wide range. Customer service and communication is top notch. I say go for it.
Hey how's it going I was just talking to Jens about modifying my evh5150 III el34. You didn't happen to get the variac mod did you? When I spoke to him he told me not to use my external variac because it could screw up the tube bias and I'm just curious if that modification let you cut the voltage and still get awesome tone. I currently use a THD hot plate and it's pretty good but I'd like to have voltage selection on the back I think it would be cleaner and better sounding I just happen to see your response here thought I would ask!

Hey how's it going I was just talking to Jens about modifying my evh5150 III el34. You didn't happen to get the variac mod did you? When I spoke to him he told me not to use my external variac because it could screw up the tube bias and I'm just curious if that modification let you cut the voltage and still get awesome tone. I currently use a THD hot plate and it's pretty good but I'd like to have voltage selection on the back I think it would be cleaner and better sounding I just happen to see your response here thought I would ask!
This goes back a few years, but yes I did have the variac mod. It worked as it should and sounded really good, but it seemed like the best application using the lower wattage was when you were going for that pushed lo mid gain led zeppelin tone. I usually don't go for that, so my variac was usually set to the full 50w; using the master volume at 50w worked fine for my modern hard rock needs. I guess when kids are around sleeping or you need to be quiet, the lower wattages could be useful. Cool mod, but but may not be totally necessary if the master volume control is of any quality. I did like supersonic dial when sprinkled in.

Jens is a very nice guy, honest, straight foward...Reasonable cost and turn around time. Really understands high gain amplifiers upside down and backwards. Recomended.

Anyone use Jens Kruse to mod and amp?
I've got a bogner I'm thinking of sending in.
I had a bad experience with the guy I send him a soldano that took a lot of time, and when I had it back the tone was very trebbly not for me and the gain was the same, then to get it back to stock with him also, took another couple of months. there's other guys that make good stuff with almost the same prices, with better results or depends what are you looking for.

Back