large plate preamp tubes?

mquisto

I am planning on putting JJ ECC803s tubes in my Rebel 20; I want the detail that comes with a larger plate *but*... it seems to me these tubes are intended for vintage fenders and the like (before the switch to short plate tubes). They use a spiral filament to reduce noise from AC filament heaters. My Rebel uses DC heaters in the preamp, so I want to make sure this won't cause any issues/problems. Anyone do this before?

803 is my fav JJ tube. 10% less gain than a AX7 has a little bump in the mids. I've ran that it the Rebel and it sounded fine. It's a great tube in the phase invertor.
The tube I've found to sound best in V1 of the Rebel is Jan 5751. Much more usable gain at higher settings.

that's good to know. I'm actually trying 803's for all three preamp tubes, with only the phase inverter balanced. My thinking is that V1 has the most impact on tone and since it is an amp head instead of a combo I can avoid microphonics by putting the head on the floor.

I also considered the JJECC83MG for V1 (the tube most susceptible to microphonics) as they are in-between a short and long plate and have a mid bump. On reading about the JJ5751 it looks like it reduces gain so would increase your headroom.

The Rebel lives up to it's name. A lot of attitude in a small package. It pairs great with the Tweaker 15. Sometimes I slave the Tweaker's power section with the Rebel for a nice stereo rig.

Back