Larry Dimarzio remembers EVH

Thanks! That was great. Had a subscription to GW back then and remember all those issues like
they were last year. I know it's un-popular but that was my favorite EVH era.

Anyone know why there are two different wiring diagrams in the last two pages? The last one says Eddie Van Halen guitar 2. Are there two different wiring schemes on the EVHMM?

So anyone use a tone zone pu here?

I do. Depending how you set the poles and general pickup height it can sound very different. I have it in a EBMM Silo Special, and work well together because the guitar is bright. I think is because the neck is not painted.
Probably the EVH pickup is a TZ with a bit of "Air" technology :D

Anyone know why there are two different wiring diagrams in the last two pages? The last one says Eddie Van Halen guitar 2. Are there two different wiring schemes on the EVHMM?

Seems to be all about the weird switch on the TWO model. What the hell is that?
Untitled.jpg

I have a custom custom (assuming this is the SH-11) in one of my strats and I find it dark and "soft" sounding. Never understand what Ed liked in it. Honestly, if he liked the JB that was messed up so much, he should just have tried an alnico 2 in his JB. That is the best pickup right there. Now that said, if the AT-1 is the better bet over the TZ, that's made to more or less sound like a more favourable JB so there is always that....

The EBMM EVH's toggle switch has a mini PCB on it. But it's totally redundant and can be removed. I have replaced the toggle switch in a few of my EBMM EVHs and left the PCB on them. But in my Axis guitar, since the two I have now no longer have the stock pups, I had them rewired for coil splitting and removed the PCBs from the toggle switches.

In one Axis I have a Tone Zone in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. I can't hear much difference between them and the ones in my EVHs, but then that Axis weighs a good pound more than the EVHs. I just got another Axis that's getting some TLC from my tech now. I'm having him wire up an AT-1 in the bridge and Air Norton in the neck, both with 4 conductor wire, so I can coil split them with a push/pull pot.

BTW, I have some black Tone Zones and Air Nortons for sale.

I have a custom custom (assuming this is the SH-11) in one of my strats and I find it dark and "soft" sounding. Never understand what Ed liked in it. Honestly, if he liked the JB that was messed up so much, he should just have tried an alnico 2 in his JB. That is the best pickup right there. Now that said, if the AT-1 is the better bet over the TZ, that's made to more or less sound like a more favourable JB so there is always that....

There was so much new in those stories I had never seen before. I didn't realize Ed only used the Custom-Custom in the neck position OR that the JB was the pickup in the 5150 guitar. I thought it was a SD '59. I wonder at what point the coil on the JB broke and if it was the pickup originally installed in the 5150 guitar when he built it.

Back