Les Pauls---Gibson vs Edwards(ESP)

faisalbaig

So i have been eyeing an Edwards John Sykes model.
It is very affordable, ebony fretboard and i can swap out the parts and pickups if needed.
It would cost me under a grand.

or....i could tap into my saving and purely out of lust buy a Les Paul Standard with one of those gorgeous tops. But i feel i may be paying more for the brand name and the finish.

is the $1500 difference in price justifiable ??
i will look into used as well.

Just wanted your opinions. With a modded JVM half stack on the way, i though i'd treat myself. Its been many years and i think now that i am close to 40, i should have a classic mature rig.....

Advise me fellas!!!
thanks
Faisal

One says Gibson on the headstock, the other says Edwards.

One is made in the U.S., the other is made on the other side of the planet.

One is the real deal, and one is a knock off.

Probably both great players.

Only you can decide what personal value you place on each.

I don't see it as $1500 difference because if you buy used you cad land you a real nice Gibson USA for $1500 ;)

Both can be great guitars. If you are treating yourself get you a Gibson LPC ;

I remember 20 odd yrs ago really wanting certain brand guitars (gibson, jackson, charvel) ..... I went the "looks like a les paul" route based purely on my finances at the time but in all honesty it didn't cure my "I want a les paul". A some point you are going to want the real deal just because its got gibson on the headstock so if you can wait a while and save a bit more go the gibson....there's nothing like that feeling of having the real deal whether it be gibbo, fender ... I have still never owned USA jackson and it kills me :doh: :LOL: :LOL:

Now 20yrs later I couldn't careless what it says on the headstock

Go for the real deal. There's a ton of other guitars that look like LP's, but they aren't. If you really have your heart set on the Gibson LP, nothing else is going to do it. You'll just end up spending lots of cash chasing it, when you can just get the real deal used for a pretty good price. Keep an eye on forums, lots of good deals to be had on trads and standards. I picked mine up here about a month ago from another member, great deal on it and a great guitar. Cured my needs for a blinged out LP. Deals are out there, just be patient and you can snag a great player for a lot better price than new.

I believe it's been established that the Edwards guitars are NOT made in Japan, but in China or wherever else. But a lot of people seem to still like them.

The made in China bit is a bit of a red flag, even though half my life is made in china!!!
am not into brands, but after value for money.
problem is that les pauls i really like especially with ebony boards are very pricey....

Ive had a edwards randy roads and it was a great guitar a little thicker and heavier then my '89 lp custom...that said , it played great and the quality was outstanding but the tone wasnt on par with the custom for whatever reason I dont know, overall for the $ they are sweet no doubt just be aware of the thickness and weight when buying one...the tone is in the ears so hard to say what your ear is doing,..

danyeo":2k8s8txn said:
I believe it's been established that the Edwards guitars are NOT made in Japan, but in China or wherever else. But a lot of people seem to still like them.

To be accurate the basic woodworking is done in China, the finish work including frets, binding, paint, etc are done at the ESP factory in Japan. You basically get a guitar with the fit, finish, and playability of an ESP Standard for a fraction of the price.

I'm four Gibsons down so far and none of them were worth keeping, but that still doesn't stop me wanting an R7 lol

technomancer":30wasjl7 said:
danyeo":30wasjl7 said:

To be accurate the basic woodworking is done in China, the finish work including frets, binding, paint, etc are done at the ESP factory in Japan. You basically get a guitar with the fit, finish, and playability of an ESP Standard for a fraction of the price.

I'm four Gibsons down so far and none of them were worth keeping, but that still doesn't stop me wanting an R7 lol

I got rid of my R7 because I didn't like the neck. Every other LP I've had I sold because if various issues, fucked up necks, frets, etc.

This is what I landed on.
20141019_162326.jpg

Before I ever bought a Gibson, I always wanted an ESP. To me, ESPs were THE guitar to get because how great the quality was, and how fast the neck played. But, when I compared the ESP to a Gibson, somehow, some way, I liked the Gibson more. The ESP was built better than the Gibson, yet felt cheap compared to the Gibsons.

Years later, I can look back and say "I'm so happy I chose to get the real deal" because at some point it would have bothered me that I bought the copy instead of the real deal. As I got older, the thin shredder necks really started to cause my hands to cramp up and hurt, but the bigger necks that Gibson has actually feel comfortable.

I never looked back, but get the guitar that you think you'll be happy with long term. Also, if you need an Ebony board, there's many models of the LPs that have Ebony. Even the '90s studios have Ebony fretboards.

Cant say that I tried an Edwards LP, but I do have an Edwards Explorer. Really wanted the ESP explorer but wasn't willing to shell out the $3k+ to get it. The Edwards plays and sounds great FWIW.

Just find a used ESP Eclipse. I sold my 3 LP's in favour of the Eclipse. To me it's an improved Les Paul, no comparison really. The only reason someone would play the Gibson over the ESP is for status.

I would disagree with this statement.

I don't play les Paul's for status.

I play me em because they work for me.

Pretty ridiculous statement really.

Pat6969":6s4819k2 said:
Just find a used ESP Eclipse. I sold my 3 LP's in favour of the Eclipse. To me it's an improved Les Paul, no comparison really. The only reason someone would play the Gibson over the ESP is for status.

danyeo":3v2fckh7 said:
technomancer":3v2fckh7 said:
danyeo":3v2fckh7 said:

I got rid of my R7 because I didn't like the neck. Every other LP I've had I sold because if various issues, fucked up necks, frets, etc.

This is what I landed on.
20141019_162326.jpg

Good taste. I've been on the hunt for an SC245 and may be bringing one home soon :rock:

I own 4 les pauls and 3 eclipses....the gibsons play, feel, and sound better than the esp's imo.
life's to short, I say treat yourself.

Gibson LesPaul > Edwards Les Paul /ESP (LTD) Eclipse :yes:

I've had more than a few Edwards LPs. I prefer the sound of the Gibson Les Pauls, even the studio or entry level models that are the same $. The Edwards are great players and sound good with the SD pickups, but just don't seem to have the "bite" of a Gibson.

Back