Less popular/known amps everyone should try once

MadAsAHatter

Everyone should play through the big names at least once, JCM800, Mesa Mark & Recto, Plexi, Twin, 5150, etc., etc.
I'm not talking actually owning any of these just playing... What are some lesser known / less popular but still accessible amps you think everyone should play through at least one time before they die?

Personally, I think everyone should test drive some German engineering at least once. ENGL Savage & H&K Duotone come to mind. Don't know about their popularity in Europe but I don't see many ENGLs in the US and even less H&Ks.

The H&K Coreblade is one of my favorite high gainers I've ever played and literally no one talks about them

Fender Prosonic is another one; fucking love those amps. Wish I still had my Prosonic head

Orange Dual Dark….not immediately accessible as they’re discontinued, but if you ever get the chance to try one do it.

Even if you don’t like Oranges.

The H&K Coreblade is one of my favorite high gainers I've ever played and literally no one talks about them

Fender Prosonic is another one; fucking love those amps. Wish I still had my Prosonic head
I've always wanted to give a H&K Warp X a shot. I know it was promoted as a Nu-Metal amp, but I think they F-ed up the marketing on in. All the clips I've heard made it seel like it could do a lot more than that.

Naylor Superdrive, vintage Fender Bassman (bring 2 boosts with), if you see a Crate Stealth cheap grab it. Randall RG series from the 80s….
You named 2 amps I actually have, Naylor Superdrive and Crate Stealth.
I guess the secret is getting out about the Stealth. I haven't seen one listed for dirt cheap like they used to be in a while. Cheapest one on Reverb right now is a 50 watt combo for $700. 😲

Everyone should play through the big names at least once, JCM800, Mesa Mark & Recto, Plexi, Twin, 5150, etc., etc.
I'm not talking actually owning any of these just playing... What are some lesser known / less popular but still accessible amps you think everyone should play through at least one time before they die?

Personally, I think everyone should test drive some German engineering at least once. ENGL Savage & H&K Duotone come to mind. Don't know about their popularity in Europe but I don't see many ENGLs in the US and even less H&Ks.

Laboga Mr. Hector. Very nice amp.

Regarding to popularity, Marshall is the most popular in Europe. Then Engl, H&K, Orange, Mesa and EVH on about the same level.

Naylor Superdrive, vintage Fender Bassman (bring 2 boosts with), if you see a Crate Stealth cheap grab it. Randall RG series from the 80s….

So much the vintage bassman thing. I had an ab163 for a while that absolutely killed with a couple drives in front.

My favorite combo was an 808, into a lower gain MIAB (lawrence petross 68)

Absolutely beastly tones

Peavey's anything really.. I still remember the days when 5150's were not even close to considered a "good" amp and still had the stigma of Peavey.

Back