Less popular/known amps everyone should try once

Anything Morris……but especially the SIRROM. I like it so much that I have two of them.

A Morris amp is on my list to eventually own. I was going to go for a Sirrom, but I already have several that do higher gain. I decided I'd rather have an XSIII. Who knows thought, when I finally get to the point of being able to order one I may change m mind again.

Seeing as you have both how does the Sirrom compare to the XSIII?

Agree with the dudes saying Peavey VTM. I finally snagged a VTM60 a couple years ago and the thing is incredible honestly. It totally satisfies my modded Marshall-style itch.

It literally looks like a chunk of garbage but sounds as good or better than amps that are 5 times more expensive

There was a fender hi gain channel changer in the mid to late 90s and someone pointed out to me they can be had for cheap these days.

If it was a tube amp, it was either the Prosonic or Tone-Master

Unfortunately the price on both has been creeping up :(

A Morris amp is on my list to eventually own. I was going to go for a Sirrom, but I already have several that do higher gain. I decided I'd rather have an XSIII. Who knows thought, when I finally get to the point of being able to order one I may change m mind again.

Seeing as you have both how does the Sirrom compare to the XSIII?
They can get fairly close. The XS kind of reminds me of the VHT 50/CL I had a long time ago. Kind of a drier sound. High gain but not really high gain if that makes since.

The SIRROM can get as modern and saturated as you want……with no fizz. It leans more towards a tricked out Marshall sound, but definitely has its own thing going on. Guys on here would go nuts for it if they played it.

I have both the standard SIRROM and a single channel Custom 60 model. The Custom 60 has a few extra tone/gain shaping features that make it my fave.

I like seeing all the VTM love. I've bought 3. And each time I feel like it kills my more expensive amps. I want to try a hot mod with one. I have a 120 getting serviced now. Hopefully getting a detachable IEC installed. But yeah whoever thought that headshell was a good idea needs to be executed. I need to swap that our next.

Splawn is definitely one of those amps you need to try. Brand new they are affordable and imho I prefer them vs $3500+ hotrodded Marshall's.

Ceriatone is on the list for me too. When I first started looking into them people kinda turned their nose up at them but they have grown in popularity recently to where the wait time is creeping up on a year. I got an all access plexi being finished either in October or November. I was thinking about a molecular but the VTM actually scratches that itch.

Everyone should play through the big names at least once, JCM800, Mesa Mark & Recto, Plexi, Twin, 5150, etc., etc.
I'm not talking actually owning any of these just playing... What are some lesser known / less popular but still accessible amps you think everyone should play through at least one time before they die?

Personally, I think everyone should test drive some German engineering at least once. ENGL Savage & H&K Duotone come to mind. Don't know about their popularity in Europe but I don't see many ENGLs in the US and even less H&Ks.
I see Engl’s at every metal show. Some of them suck. Some of them don’t.

Egnater Vengeance

Killer amp. Hard to find now. I picked one up and in spite of all the awesome amps I currently own I’ve never thought of selling it. Paid 300.00. Easily holds its own against amps that’s cost 10x what it cost.

Egnater Vengeance

Killer amp. Hard to find now. I picked one up and in spite of all the awesome amps I currently own I’ve never thought of selling it. Paid 300.00. Easily holds its own against amps that’s cost 10x what it cost.

I'm not really sure why Egnater amps never caught on more. Like with Peavey amps you can get a lot for a little money. The Tourmaster is/was a really good 4 channel amp, but no one every talked about it.

I'm not really sure why Egnater amps never caught on more. Like with Peavey amps you can get a lot for a little money. The Tourmaster is/was a really good 4 channel amp, but no one every talked about it.

It took me a little to figure out how to dial it in. It has an amazing clean channel with reverb. The gain is thick liquidy and very responsive while playing. No harsh buzzy tones. And it has a flavor of its own. Kind of on the dark side.

Nice footswitch and 120/60 watt switch. IMO very underrated and getting hard to find.

From what I've seen the Tourmasters were pretty notoriously unreliable (along with most of the tan tolex Egnater import amps honestly)

I love them though; especially the Vengeance. Never got to play a real deal USA made Egnater :(

Back