Let's see what Steven Tyler's up to...

CaseyCor":6ovsx1zf said:
It amazes me how many musicians have zero understanding of how the music business works, or how many fans of a band don't know a damn thing about them. I'm not even an Aerosmith fan and even I know the whole band went broke from a shitty royalties deal (and some shitty music..). Renegotiated, wrote decent rock songs with pop influence and made SOME money back.

There is no money in the music business anymore, but the lifestyles of the old guard haven't changed (unless their hand was forced). Tyler is taking gigs where he can to sustain the lifestyle he is accustomed too. If that means working on American Idol and doing a country record to make money without leaving music, then that's what he (and a lot of other people) will do.

The musicians you look up to don't give a shit about what you think they are. All the fans make up their own persona and "legacy" for bands, and when the band strays from the vision a complete stranger sees, those people get upset.

A band's "legacy" is made up by the fans, who DON'T make the music or live these people's lives.

Edit - Steve beat me to it.

That is a very broad and pretty condescending statement right there in regards to what artists may or may not think about their legacies and the fans themselves. Some artists don't care or never thought of a period of their work as being any different from any other. But many also realize how important some time periods were and even say it in interviews, books etc. Ask Robert Plant how he feels about the Legacy of Zeppelin. He has always turned down any and all offers to do a re-union tour even though you could fund a small country with what he'd get paid.

In one sentence you say you're not a big fan of Aerosmith but talk down to people about not knowing something that they actually all know. What does being broke in the early 80's have to do with artistic/financial decisions in 2015? Especially when they've been raking in money since the late 80's on a pretty constant level. Tyler made enough money for probably 10 lifetimes well before the industry started waning.

We all over time, through either experience in the industry (I have a little), or just through reading etc have gleaned insight to how the industry works. Enough to know that even the industry didn't know how the industry works or maybe they may have survived. But the sentiment, IMO of the OP and the thread is from the pure perspective of a fan. Any posts that try and get too deep about the inner musings of the artist or the industry just get silly and smell of some need for affirmation, or ego stroke of what an insider someone thinks they are to what goes on behind the curtain. Or maybe it's just weird to hear people go woes me in favor of a poor, starving millionaire.

Now if we were talking about any number of artists from the 80's that didn't have much success in the 90's everything about them doing what it takes to maintain a living would ring true but Tyler is not only one of America'a greatest Rock 'n' Roll icons, but probably also one of the richest..... "Guy's gotta eat"....now that is some funny shit right there.

This video/song sucks, but would I still look forward to checking out anything he does,...absolutely.

Beyond Black":2i8w8l2d said:
The guy's gotta eat? Tyler has an estimated worth of 130 million dollars.

Ding, ding, ding. Money isn't the issue.

Hey, it's his career, he can do anything he wants. I haven't bought anything from him in 30 years. This crappy song, the American Idol thing? All ridiculous for a guy who is such a legend and a master. I'd never do it. Never. But what do I know?

Beyond Black":sn990kae said:
The guy's gotta eat? Tyler has an estimated worth of 130 million dollars.
So, you believe that "net worth" website? It's bullshit, dude...

Steve

He was destined to be a front man, and I assume that he will do anything to get as much of that in his lifetime as possible.

Nothing wrong with that.

If you don't like his new stuff... Guess what? You can still listen to his old stuff.

Deanmachine":1cogu33n said:
Old man playing old music..

And? Tyler has likely touched more people as a musician in his life than every one of us on this forum combined ever will. Good for him...

Bob Savage":1ntum17y said:
Deanmachine":1ntum17y said:

And? Tyler has likely touched more people as a musician in his life than every one of us on this forum combined ever will. Good for him...

Not only touched.......I'd say tasted as well... :)

skoora":19thltny said:
Bob Savage":19thltny said:
Deanmachine":19thltny said:

Not only touched.......I'd say tasted as well... :)

Touched, tasted, I believe my point stands without challenge.

Back