Long term 5153 stealth owners (or why did you flip it?)

  • Thread starter Thread starter gybe!
  • Start date Start date
Holy shit, i just checked the new prices on a 100w stealth

WHAT THE FUCK MAN?

For 2600 dollars you could get into just about anything - Matt just sold a hellion for what, 2800? For god's sake that's nuts

I had no idea the prices had gotten jacked up that much on a stealth
Yeah. The thing is, we all talked about how good it was for the money. But none of us really thought it was boutique level. Now it is severely overpriced
 
I had one a couple of years back with the EVH412. Really great amp and cab. I liked it a lot and it sounded great but I finally found the tone I was looking for in something else.
In your purple Rack-Head?
 
Yeah. The thing is, we all talked about how good it was for the money. But none of us really thought it was boutique level. Now it is severely overpriced

Wasn't eddie's whole thing (of why he went with peavey, and the idea with all of his signature gear) that it would be relatively moderately priced so up-and-coming young players could swing it?

I could have sworn that was part of the whole thing with the 5150
 
Wasn't eddie's whole thing (of why he went with peavey, and the idea with all of his signature gear) that it would be relatively moderately priced so up-and-coming young players could swing it?

I could have sworn that was part of the whole thing with the 5150
No, he just kept using the same old shit but made money off of his massive endorsements lmao
 
No, he just kept using the same old shit but made money off of his massive endorsements lmao

Well that's why he actually did it, obviously

I'm talking about why he said he was
 
Well that's why he actually did it, obviously

I'm talking about why he said he was
I think he realized this came to pass and that is where the iconic came from. I haven't played one, but i hear it is a lot cooler of an amp for metal and it has a lot better price
 
The super hi 50 is an incredibly fun amp. And it has a clarity to the gain and is built like a tank (the handwired versions). I feel like it is a blank slate. It didn't have as much overwhelming character to the voicing allowing the EQ to kind of form it into what you wanted.
Interesting…but have to say that is a bit opposite of what I’m looking for as well (lack of character).

Then again, I’m also just bored. I should just use what I’ve got🤣
 
Interesting…but have to say that is a bit opposite of what I’m looking for as well (lack of character).

Then again, I’m also just bored. I should just use what I’ve got🤣
You have a very impressive stable.
Some of the amps I like you already have covered. I think you should try an MGL if you haven't. A friedman naked would be something different from what you have.

But honestly, like I said, you have a great stable of amps. I would probably just get a 2/90/2 and a synergy syn2 and buy some modules. That SLOII is fucking sick
 
I had one years ago. Bought used from a GC. The gain was way over the top on the red channel. I hardly used it. The green channel was too gainy to be used as a clean channel. It had great crunch tones though. The blue channel is where the money's at.

I didn't mess with the resonance controls. Nor did I attempt at preamp tube swapping to lower the gain. I played it through a Friedman 4x12 with GBs on top, V30s on the bottom.

For a 3 channel amp, only the blue channel did it for me so I sold it on CL for more than I paid.
 
Stealth is overhyped. First clean channel isn’t close to clean, rhythm channel not enough gain and lead channel way too much gain.
And Iconic sounds as good IMO

And the amp is massive. But I’m kinda old school. If you can’t dial in tones on one channel three isn’t gonna help
 
I don't really know how long I've had mine...6 years, maybe. But the first one I had was in 2015. It's my all time favorite amp. I've had all the 50 watt iterations and the 100S and 100 6l6. I do not agree that it responds the same as the 50 watt. The bigger size, wattage, and price all come with a bigger and ballsier tone than the 50 watts are capable...and I do still have a 50S (that my son uses) and a 50 6l6 (that stays at one of my practice spots). It's the only amp I have at home right now for recording, and the only amp I've taken on stage since selling my Mark VII. It is enormous, which can be inconvenient, but I'm usually rolling it around on top of a Mesa OS cab with Karnivores anyway, so I don't really care too much. I also don't agree with the plasticy tone comments, though I'm not even sure what that means.

For me, the amp has depth and weight to each note that I haven't experienced from many other amps. But I'm also a person that has a hard time playing something that isn't a 5150. I don't like rectos, I don't like the Iconic, I don't like Marshalls. I do like Mark series amps, but not as much as the 100S because the low end on a Mark is significantly less big.

Also, you can absolutely dial in a clean tone on the green channel. Keep the gain super low, and it's easy to get something clean out of it. I use that channel to record cleans and play clean passages with my bands every practice and show.

Anyway...yeah, I love it.
 
What is it about the red channel that people dislike?
I've played thru Stealths many times and I absolutely love the red channel. No need for boosts and it's sooo easy to play.
I keep the gain on my 5150 at 7 or 8 when using it. Maybe I'm just nuts or something... *shrug*
 
Evh and peavey. Not limited to 5153. I dont have one myself. But ive considered it.

Feedback ive heard that made sense. Fairly easy to dial in the sound. Pretty consistent sound. More affordable. All of which make it more gig/travel friendly.
 
I love Peavey 5150/6505. But, I haven't tried EVH stuff. If stealth has balls and grind as Peavey 5150, I'd like to try someday.
 
Last edited:
Had the 100W. Clean and Blue channels were decent. Couldn't deal with or dial out the cocked wah sound on the Red.
 
Back
Top