Long term 5153 stealth owners (or why did you flip it?)

  • Thread starter Thread starter gybe!
  • Start date Start date
What is it about the red channel that people dislike?
I've played thru Stealths many times and I absolutely love the red channel. No need for boosts and it's sooo easy to play.
I keep the gain on my 5150 at 7 or 8 when using it. Maybe I'm just nuts or something... *shrug*
The insane amount of gain and the cloinky/plasticky honk in the mids.

Yes, stock with the gain knob on 7 or 8 would be insane for me. 😅
But that's why I figured I can lower it with some tube rolling and shift the whole gain range of the knob.
Say that stock goes from '2' to '12' on the gain knobs' range, with two 5751's it shifts to 0-10.
 
I have an OG 5150, a Stealth 100, a Stealth 100 EL34, and a 50w 6L6.

If I'm recording and have access to all the boosts, pre-EQ, and post-EQ around, there's a good chance I'm going with the OG 5150. But if I'm playing live, both the Stealth 100 and Stealth 100 EL34 sound better to me straight out of the box so I'm taking one of those because it means less gear to haul around.

Random wankery on OG Peavey 5150 with a RAT as a boost and post-EQ'd to balance it out:



The OG is less filtered so you can do more with it, and overall it has something happening in the extended sub-lows that gives it a weight and thud that's really cool. However, overall EQ wise it's pretty centered / prominent in the stuffy low mids area, even with the Mids scooped pretty hard. The Stealths by contrast are more filtered and don't have the same sub-low thud as the OG, but their overall EQ signatures are much more balanced.

The Red channels on the 5150 III 100's are honky with the Gain set low because of how aggressively they're filtered, but setting the Gain high enough will help smooth out the honk, however by that point you're running a truly batshit amount of gain so be ready for that. You can apply your own boost or pre-EQ to smooth out the honk as well:




I think my favorite amp of all of them really depends on what day it is. Currently it's the 100w EL34. It has more present and crispier upper mids than the Stealth 100 without those mids taking over and making the amp sound small or narrow.

Also, the 5153 50w is one of the best deals in high gain tube amps that exists. Crazy good value. The Stealth 100's do sound different. They don't necessarily have more lows, but the 100 watt amps' lows extend farther down. Other than that they're pretty similar.

The Iconic 6L6 is also great, but I'd go for the Iconic EL34 between the two. The Iconic 6L6 has some harshness in the highs, and the Iconic EL34 seems to have addressed that.

These amps are not my go-to favorite amps for high gain, but the OG 5150 is as popular as it is for a reason, and with enough pre and post stuff, it can still sound as good as anything. The 5153's are really good in their own right too. I like them for what they are and I have no plans to get rid of them.
 
Last edited:
I've been very impressed with the Peavey "1992 Original" reissue. It's not near as compressed as the EVH 5150's I've played through... and it's relatively cheap for a 120w all-tube amp.

1786988721540.png
 
Last edited:
I've had my stealth for about two years now. Had the original 5130 III 100 head for five years before that. I find it to be a super versatile amp in a live situation. Sits very well in a mix. I find all three channel very usable. Though I keep the gain knob on the red channel around 11:00.

Here a live clip form a couple of years ago.
 
I've had the Stealth for a few years and I just haven't bonded with it. I love the OG 5150, still one of my most fav amps I've ever owned but the Stealth, sounds good for a bit to me but after awhile there's this mid thing happening that starts bothering me. Sorta like a cover over everything for lack of a better term. Someone before said plasticky and I agree, and once I hit that mark where I notice I can't play it anymore.

Maybe one day I actually sell it and buy the OG Original but just been to lazy to deal with it.
 
I've had the Stealth for a few years and I just haven't bonded with it. I love the OG 5150, still one of my most fav amps I've ever owned but the Stealth, sounds good for a bit to me but after awhile there's this mid thing happening that starts bothering me. Sorta like a cover over everything for lack of a better term. Someone before said plasticky and I agree, and once I hit that mark where I notice I can't play it anymore.

Maybe one day I actually sell it and buy the OG Original but just been to lazy to deal with it.
I feel the same way about the OG Peavey 5150 vs Peavey 5150 II
 
For straight up tone the Iconic SMOKES the Stealth.
I wouldn't say smoke it but it can certainly sound better and beat out the stealth in some instances paired with the right cab of course. Maybe we are all used to the James Brown signature sound?

At any rate, I actually dig the stealth in both 6L6 and EL34 iterations. They both have a huge low end, cutting highs but the midrange is where they lose it I feel. Depending on what guitar/pickup config you're using, it can sound mean or it can sound synthetic. Its one of the weirdest amps I've owned, and that was my personal reason for selling it. I wouldn't kick it out of bed to use for a recording or a gig, I'll leave it at that.
 
I feel the same way about the OG Peavey 5150 vs Peavey 5150 II
Yeah on the III Stealth, it's like I can't dig in with the mids while playing. It's like this weird sensation where say on my Marshall, it works with you, allows you to feel the notes whereas on the III, it's like a gloss. I can hear it but I can't feel it in my playing.

I know that sounds completely weird but no other way to explain it. And no, I never felt that on the OG. Btw/ I never cared for the OG II.
 
Last edited:
I owned the EVH 100W Stealth for about 3 years...A very good amp, but maybe not a great one for the reasons stated by many others here: There just seems to be something missing in terms of midrange character and organic feel. I see them used in LA between $1,200 and$1,600. I think it's a lot of amp for that money...Good build quality, reliable and flexible.
 
I've had a few and always end up moving them on. The red channel is borderline unusable and could never get the mids to sit quite right. I've owned pretty much every amp in the 5150 line and my favorite is actually the EL34 Iconic for some reason.
 
The way I see it they aren't bad but yeah as others have noted it's not really a 5150 and a 6505 by Peavey is more like a real 5150.......



Plus they are made in Mexico, so for that price why isn't it made in America/USA. They aren't bad but IMO there just isn't anything amazing about them. The 5150 Iconic IMO is a better amp and that's probably because J Brown was there for that one. It also cost way less and has a noise gate built in.

The Iconic sounds more like a real 5150 IMO
 
I bought my 50w Stealth a couple years ago for $1200 bucks and for the price I think it's a great amp, has MIDI, 3 channels that all sound great. Goes from clean all the way to over the top, takes a boost incredibly well, all 3 channels bend together great and sounds awesome for more modern high gain stuff. I've owned the 5150 original and II and really like the III a hell of a lot more. No plan to ever get rid of it as for wet/dry/wet thing for EVH newer stuff with my Axis, it does that sound.
 
The way I see it they aren't bad but yeah as others have noted it's not really a 5150 and a 6505 by Peavey is more like a real 5150.......



Plus they are made in Mexico, so for that price why isn't it made in America/USA. They aren't bad but IMO there just isn't anything amazing about them. The 5150 Iconic IMO is a better amp and that's probably because J Brown was there for that one. It also cost way less and has a noise gate built in.

The Iconic sounds more like a real 5150 IMO
Please stop parroting shit you have no hands-on experience with, mkay? So this thread was silent for 2 days and you figured "where else can I spread my deviant stench of un-wisdom for renewed engagement", huh? 😑

I've gigged now for around 12-13 years with my 50W EVH with 2*12 Mesa cab, whenever I figured my 100W Engl Invader and 4*12 cab was too much hassle to haul around for a smaller gig. But I won't claim I have any experience with coffeeshop gigs with a Microcube... 🫣

If they release a 50W/60W Iconic with footswitchable fx-loop, maybe then -for me- will it be a viable alternative for my 50W 6L6, as a quick grab n go amp. But that 15W 1*EL34 will not cut it with my band's drummer.
 
Please stop parroting shit you have no hands-on experience with, mkay? So this thread was silent for 2 days and you figured "where else can I spread my deviant stench of un-wisdom for renewed engagement, huh? 😑

I've gigged now for around 12-13 years with my 50W EVH with 2*12 Mesa cab, whenever I figured my 100W Engl Invader and 4*12 cab was too much hassle to haul around for a smaller gig. But I won't claim I have any experience with coffeeshop gigs with a Microcube... 🫣
Whomp whomp.... Lame 😂
 
Please stop parroting shit you have no hands-on experience with, mkay? So this thread was silent for 2 days and you figured "where else can I spread my deviant stench of un-wisdom for renewed engagement", huh? 😑

I've gigged now for around 12-13 years with my 50W EVH with 2*12 Mesa cab, whenever I figured my 100W Engl Invader and 4*12 cab was too much hassle to haul around for a smaller gig. But I won't claim I have any experience with coffeeshop gigs with a Microcube... 🫣

If they release a 50W/60W Iconic with footswitchable fx-loop, maybe then -for me- will it be a viable alternative for my 50W 6L6, as a quick grab n go amp. But that 15W 1*EL34 will not cut it with my band's drummer.
Thank you!!
I was just going to post something about this clown giving half-assed advice..
-Kid, again you have no F**king clue what you are talking about.
The Peavey 6505 IS a 5150.. Just a different cosmetic look. It's the same circuit you jackass. It's not "like" a 5150 it is one.. friggin Moron
Nothing amazing about them?? Again you are beyond retarded. Everyone loves the 5153's..
So again... STFU..
 
Please stop parroting shit you have no hands-on experience with, mkay? So this thread was silent for 2 days and you figured "where else can I spread my deviant stench of un-wisdom for renewed engagement", huh? 😑

I've gigged now for around 12-13 years with my 50W EVH with 2*12 Mesa cab, whenever I figured my 100W Engl Invader and 4*12 cab was too much hassle to haul around for a smaller gig. But I won't claim I have any experience with coffeeshop gigs with a Microcube... 🫣

If they release a 50W/60W Iconic with footswitchable fx-loop, maybe then -for me- will it be a viable alternative for my 50W 6L6, as a quick grab n go amp. But that 15W 1*EL34 will not cut it with my band's drummer.

+311

The Kid can't help himself. He has no self control.

The Stealth is an amazing amp, especially for the price. Doesn't matter where it is made. PS: Fender told me the 4x12 cab is indeed 100 watts and matches up perfectly with the Stealth.
 
yeah yeah yeah...you SAY that... but can you have it notarized? Otherwise it's just not "facts" you...
(pick one) POS/TGP Lover/scum/princess/cuck/cava-eater/Ass-team/Wholefoods-shopper... uhm.... RINO? Uhm.... nasty person.:censored: :sneaky:

/s 😉
None of what you guys are saying are legal documents.

2503.png

The spec sheet clearly states this. Anything else is magic
 
Back
Top