Marshall JCM 2203 to JCM 900 MK3 to JCM 900 SLX to Friedman BE100

Cap217

So I own all of these amps and started digging into what makes them different.

2203 punchy, raw, aggressive, not as much gain as you would expect. But big

JCM 900 MK3 - This is the diode clipping one. This amp is great. Its not as big as the 800 but it ads a lot of useable gain. It has a loop and you can eq and add in to add more punch.

JCM 900SLX - Same as the MK3 but instead of diode clipping it has an extra tube stage. They are close but different. I like this amp a lot too. The gain is really good. Classic marshall sound.

BE100 - Seems to have more gain. More compressed. With the c45 and sat off I think its less gain than the 900s and more like an 800 without the bite and punch. The 800 will push so much power but the BE starts to level off and compress. With the c45 there isnt much difference. With sat it changes the amp and its quieter, more compressed, but more gain. I am learning that this is basically the jose diode mod.

So is the BE100 like a 900 mk3 in sat mode? It seems that the more gain you add to these, the smaller the amp sounds. Im curious how the circuits are.

Is a BE100 an 800 with all the switches off? Then the HBE is an added tube like the SLX? Then the sat is diode like the 900? HBE and SAT is too much and it gets muddy so you have to back the gain off.

On the be100 the BE channel is about twice the gain of a 800.. Similar to the 800 would be c45 on and the gain structure in the middle or the in between position.. Of course i have no idea which era BE-100 you have

On the be100 the BE channel is about twice the gain of a 800.. Similar to the 800 would be c45 on and the gain structure in the middle or the in between position.. Of course i have no idea which era BE-100 you have

This is helpful. What changed over the years on the BE?

Back